Dedicated N/A ROM tuning thread - Page 10 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices

Dedicated N/A ROM tuning thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 02:01 AM

i tried this too it wont write it down
Old Aug 20, 2018, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by esso View Post
i tried this too it wont write it down
Please check as follow:
1. When Ignition on the fan motor still running??
2. Can not start engine
3. On Speedometer Instrument Gauge, Engine code, Overheat and Service request has occurred

If yes, may be ecu is bricked. try to flash the rom with "Recovery Write using OEM bootload method" as jajk and Gentlme was mentioned.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 03:42 AM

when i try to write on ecu i get this
[23:47:41.754] ECU HW part number : 1860B061
[23:47:41.769] ECU SW part number : 1860B06100
[23:47:41.800] VIN : JMFSTCY5ABU000873
[23:47:41.910] entering programming mode
[23:47:43.454] -- unlocking ECU --
[23:47:43.454] starting session...
[23:47:43.782] requesting seed...
[23:47:43.797] sending key...
[23:47:44.062] erasing
[23:47:44.109] interface close

and car does not start. when i try to do it on bench it wont work and say
ECU memory read failure
Old Aug 20, 2018, 03:40 PM

Memory model set to Mitsu 72531?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by esso
when i try to write on ecu i get this
[23:47:41.754] ECU HW part number : 1860B061
[23:47:41.769] ECU SW part number : 1860B06100
[23:47:41.800] VIN : JMFSTCY5ABU000873
[23:47:41.910] entering programming mode
[23:47:43.454] -- unlocking ECU --
[23:47:43.454] starting session...
[23:47:43.782] requesting seed...
[23:47:43.797] sending key...
[23:47:44.062] erasing

and car does not start. when i try to do it on bench it wont work and say
ECU memory read failure
esso,
any updated for this issue. I need to know, Does ECUFlash can flashing rom with 2015+ SH72531 memory model??
Old Aug 30, 2018, 02:37 PM

Ecuflash can flash 2015+ SH72531 ecu with incorrect checksums and brick your ecu! If that is what you want to do - go ahead.
It is a defect in Ecuflash that lets it offer to correct the checksums when it can not do it for this ecu.
There is another way that involves buying some overpriced software on a USB dongle.....(a glorified checksum corrector)....from a commercial perspective: why would you want to update ecuflash when there are many more $$$ to be had by not doing it?
The Following User Says Thank You to jajk For This Useful Post:
BlackPack (Aug 30, 2018)
Old Sep 2, 2018, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
esso,
any updated for this issue. I need to know, Does ECUFlash can flashing rom with 2015+ SH72531 memory model??
unfortunately ECU got bricked and i ended it up to buy the USB dongol from MMC flash. still waiting for delivery.
if you want send me your file i can correct the chksum for you when i get the dongol
Old Sep 2, 2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by esso View Post
unfortunately ECU got bricked and i ended it up to buy the USB dongol from MMC flash. still waiting for delivery.
if you want send me your file i can correct the chksum for you when i get the dongol
Thanks a lot esso, Actually ECUFlas worked for me because my car has M32186f8 memory model. just to confirm let say ECUFlash not worked for +2012 model with SH72531 memory model.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:25 PM

Measuring AFRs without a Wideband

Further to what I have already written on this topic, since I now have my wideband sensor up and running I can add a bit more to the original explanation.....
First, from Mr Bosch himself, this is how a narrowband sensor responds to AFR. The circled area is highlighting the response in the 0.8 to 0.9 Lambda region (roughly 12:1 to 13:1 AFR)

Now if we look at the front O2 sensor (narrowband) logged along with a wideband sensor, we can see the difference in narrowband output level between 11.6 and 12.7:1 AFR as measured by the wideband sensor.

The absolute voltage is irrelevant as it changes with exhaust temperature but the fact that you can discern whether or not the narrowband sensor is maxxed out with rich AFRs or not quite maxxed out (around 12.5:1 AFR) is what we are after here.
So until you get your priorities in order and spend on a wideband rather than shiny bits, this can be used to not blow your engine up when doing WOT runs.
Shortly I will post how to install a wideband the easy way (not the "let's make it difficult" Evo way)

Edit:

I did a log with closed loop turned off. Here you can see the subtle ramping up of narrowband output voltage in response to AFR changes more clearly.

Last edited by jajk; Sep 7, 2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: extra pic
BlackPack (Sep 6, 2018)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by jajk View Post
Further to what I have already written on this topic, since I now have my wideband sensor up and running I can add a bit more to the original explanation.....
First, from Mr Bosch himself, this is how a narrowband sensor responds to AFR. The circled area is highlighting the response in the 0.8 to 0.9 Lambda region (roughly 12:1 to 13:1 AFR)

Now if we look at the front O2 sensor (narrowband) logged along with a wideband sensor, we can see the difference in narrowband output level between 11.6 and 12.7:1 AFR as measured by the wideband sensor.

The absolute voltage is irrelevant as it changes with exhaust temperature but the fact that you can discern whether or not the narrowband sensor is maxxed out with rich AFRs or not quite maxxed out (around 12.5:1 AFR) is what we are after here.
So until you get your priorities in order and spend on a wideband rather than shiny bits, this can be used to not blow your engine up when doing WOT runs.
Shortly I will post how to install a wideband the easy way (not the "let's make it difficult" Evo way)
Nice sharing
Old Sep 8, 2018, 01:21 AM

How To Install a Wideband O2 sensor

Positioning:
You have 3 choices:
  1. Replace the rear O2 sensor with the wideband sensor
  2. Replace the front O2 sensor with the wideband sensor
  3. Create a new mounting location for the wideband sensor
Each option poses its own problems.....
  1. Requires that there is no cat convertor upstream from the sensor and also the position is too far back in the exhaust stream to properly maintain heating for most wideband sensors. ROM editing is required to disable the original rear O2 sensor and disable associated DTCs.
  2. This requires that the wideband controller provides a "synthesized" narrowband output to replace that of the removed front O2 sensor. ROM editing is required to disable the original front O2 sensor heater circuit and disable associated DTCs.
  3. This allows the best position to be chosen for the sensor and does not require ROM editing unless you want to hijack the rear O2 sensor signal going into the ecu and use that for wideband logging instead.
My decision was to use option 3 but Option 2 is also quite viable.

I mounted a new sensor bung into the front downpipe like so:

Think twice before drilling any holes...... it must be angled up to miss the exhaust flange mounting bolts and springs but not too far that it hits the underbody.
You could just as easily mount the sensor towards the rear of the downpipe and snip away some of the heatshield.
Note: The front pipe is identical on 4B11 or 4B12 engines so a spare can be found easily. These are double skinned and all stainless steel construction.

So here it is back on the car.

Next job is to wire it in....
Forget what you have read on the evoX threads - they are special people who need to make things look harder than they have to be
The wideband sensor needs to be plugged into your wideband controller and the wideband controller in turn, is wired into the car. Wideband sensors cannot be run without a wideband controller - don't even think it....
Regardless of the brand of wideband controller, you need chassis ground, switched 12V from the MFI relay and somewhere or something to send the output signal to. Luckily, this is all sitting in plain view and easily accessible under the hood.
We are going to intercept a few wires found in the fuse box where connector A10 lives.

Pin 16 of A10 is switched 12V coming from the MFI relay (turned on by the ecu). Tap into this wire (Red/White) to get power for your wideband controller.
Pin 17 (Yellow) and 18 (Orange) are the rear O2 sensor signal and signal ground wires respectively. I am going to hijack Pin 17 (the yellow wire) to feed the wideband signal into the ecu so I can log it. Look carefully: I cut the yellow wire and leave it disconnected going in to the connector. I connect the wideband signal wire to the other end of the cut yellow wire that goes to the ecu. Now I cut the orange wire on pin 18 and leave it disconnected. This is done to stop the wire acting as a long antenna picking up electrical noise that will be superimposed on the wideband signal. We cannot use the orange wire as a ground because it has 0.5V on it and is not an actual ground - do not connect anything to this - you risk blowing up the ecu.
Most wideband controllers will have 2 ground wires, one called signal ground and another called something like electrical ground. I have grounded both of these under a convenient bolt (top left on pic). This is conveniently close to the ecu to not pose a problem with ground loops etc.
I have 2 more wires.....a simulated narrowband output and an LED output to indicate the heating condition of the sensor. I have not replaced the front O2 sensor so I don't need the narrowband signal wire connected and I really couldn't be bothered with a blinking light.
So that is it.....a wideband controller wired into power, ground and replacing the rear O2 sensor signal into the ecu.
If you went for Option 2 (replace the front O2 sensor), then you need to cut the red wire on pin 2 of connector A10 and connect the narrowband simulator wire from the wideband controller to the ecu instead (red wire heading away from the connector).

You do not need to feed the wideband signal into the rear O2 sensor position if you do not want to....there are other options.
You can wire this into pin 12 of the OBDII connector and this can be logged by an OP2.0 or wire it into a 2.5mm jack and plug that into the OP2.0 (physically the same connection as pin 12) but I tend to think this will end in tears with a smoked OP2.0 and stuffed wiring....
The wideband signal wire can also be wired to an AFR gauge if you like distractions while you drive
Calibrating the new install:
Wideband controllers output a 0-5V signal representing AFRs from rich to lean (opposite direction to a narrowband). Different brands have different scaling.
If you are logging via the ecu rear O2 connection, there is a bit of Voodoo Magic to be done to scale the logging correctly. The input to the ecu is digitized with respect to a signal ground that is not electrical ground (the 0.5V I mentioned earlier) so if we feed in 0-5V with respect to electrical ground, the first 0.5V is digitized as 0V (it gets chopped off). When we feed in 5V, it is digitized as 4.5V because of the 0.5V offset.
The rear O2 logging output is 8 bit (0-255 range) but the first 25 is masked by the 0.5V offset as is the last 25 that cannot be reached unless we input over 5V which is not going to happen.
So our effective output range is limited to 0-230 representing an input level of 0.5V~5V. Now the Voodoo magic kicks in and we get this for a 14Point7 Spartan2 controller:

paramname=WBO2 ;MUT3C (ADC in Raw)
paramid=0x808615
scalingrpn=x,0.039043478261,*,11.02,+

Mut3C is what you need to be logging, the paramid address will change with every ROM and the scaling is only valid for the controller you are using.
With this scaling, I get a range of 11~20AFR instead of the 10~20AFR the controller normally does. The one less AFR is below the 0.5V offset but I don't mind loosing it for the convenience of logging straight from the ecu.

P.S (It's not really Voodoo magic.....it's called maths and it is more like a 0.510 volts offset)

Last edited by jajk; Sep 9, 2018 at 01:12 AM. Reason: minor correction
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jajk For This Useful Post:
BlackPack (Sep 8, 2018), Gentlme (Sep 14, 2018), greder (Sep 8, 2018)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 01:15 AM

Hi jajk:
Thank you very much for your guidance. Recently I have found most of the addresses. Only a few DTCs can't judge the address. Then I am going to try to read the knock information and record it. I have several questions to help:
1. Can BOSCH 0258017025 be used as a broadband oxygen sensor? I will buy and install it if I can.
2. Where is the difference between MT and CVT in ROM?
3. Since I changed the piston with high compression ratio, the theoretical displacement should be reduced. Does the program need to be adjusted accordingly?
4. Which of the following figures is the original 4b12 exhaust head of everyone? The merchants near me said that they need to replace 4-2-1. My country does not have 2.4l, only 1.8L and 2.0L, so I don't know if I should believe them.

4-1

4-2-1
Old Sep 14, 2018, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gentlme
1. Can BOSCH 0258017025 be used as a broadband oxygen sensor? I will buy and install it if I can.
Hi Gentlme,
I can answer you one thing. Bosch 0258017025 or LSU-4.9 just only O2 wide band sensor, However, you will needed the controller to use it e.g. Innovate LC-2, AEM X-Series (30-0300) etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackPack For This Useful Post:
Gentlme (Sep 14, 2018)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 02:23 AM

Hi Gentlme,
Changing compression ratio does not change displacement but it will affect the ign advance you can run before serious knock problems
Bottom picture labelled 4-2-1 is 4B12 manifold. It is actually a 4 into 1 configuration if you look carefully
Yes Bosch LSU4.9 is the best wideband O2 sensor to use but as BlackPack said - you need a controller to drive it.
Difference in CVT to 5MT ROM is:
500a2 0001--->0000
50206 5F--->3F
501f6 DA--->D8
Plus a variety of calibrations that are changed to suit CVT or 5MT.
In other words, you can change a ROM between CVT or 5MT providing you know to change some map values to suit whatever you have.....
Gentlme (Sep 14, 2018)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jajk
Difference in CVT to 5MT ROM is:
500a2 0001--->0000
50206 5F--->3F
501f6 DA--->D8
jajk,
What the name and function of address are you mentioned, I didn't see meaning on the xml

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dedicated N/A ROM tuning thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.