Dedicated N/A ROM tuning thread - Page 9 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices

Dedicated N/A ROM tuning thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 02:22 AM

Camshaft Comparison

I have redone the cam comparison chart with some more meaningful data.
Note: I have calculated duration and timings for Mitsi cams at 1mm lift based on loosing 16 degrees both opening and closing which will be fairly accurate give or take a degree or two.
Note: 1 tooth on mivec sprockets equates to 13.3333 degrees.
Note: Differences in mivec sprocket movement ranges may lead to substandard tuning or dangerous timings i.e. a 4B11T higher lift, longer duration intake cam on a 4B12 sprocket may allow the valves to hit the higher 4B12 piston crown at 40 degrees advance.

I am not 100% sure if the 4B11T exhaust cam specs are correct or not but these values are kicked around a lot. Brian Crower Cams thinks differently so I don't know who is right.
Edit: I am now the proud owner of some stock evo cams and can confirm that the evo ex cam is identical to the 4B12 ex cam
Tomei cam is added as an example of an aftermarket cam that does not need valve springs replaced and is moderately tame in Evo terms but more than enough for NA use.
According to several published flowbench tests on the 4Bxx head, the intake is quite good at stock lift but the exhaust is somewhat restricted by the miserable stock lift and could really do with another 1mm or so.

Last edited by jajk; Yesterday at 09:43 PM. Reason: Update info on evo cams
The Following User Says Thank You to jajk For This Useful Post:
Gentlme (Aug 9, 2018)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 07:05 AM

The other day I was upset because I burned down the ECU. I had to buy one more, but I had no equipment to write the VIN number, only third parties could help me write the VIN number and write a 4B12 ROM for me. I successfully read the ROM and tried to continue learning, but now I have some questions and need your help:

1.What hardware does tuning ROM need? (I have only one OP line and a laptop computer).

2.Does it need to install new hardware to monitor the detonation?

3.Should oxygen sensors be added to monitor the actual AFR?

Thank you.

I found” PassThru CAN“ in other threads, but I don't have MUT III hardware. Can I use it to help ECUflash tune ROMs?

Can only read information, other functions can not be used?

Old Aug 9, 2018, 04:01 PM

Hi Gentlme,

1. OP2.0 and Laptop running ecuflash is all you need to tune and reflash the ROM. Ecuflash is not good for doing the map editing - poor resolutions and inaccurate axis values shown.
2. Engine already has a knock sensor and knock count can be recorded in logging.
3. A wideband O2 sensor is a very useful addition but it must be installed upstream from the cat convertor. You can log the output of the wideband along with other engine parameters using the OP2.0

I have no idea about the passthrough CAN software - I will have to find a download of it and play
Gentlme (Aug 9, 2018)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 06:14 PM

Does the wideband O2 sensor need to be holed in the exhaust pipe? Or replace the original oxygen sensor? I tried to find out if other threads were teaching. Thank you!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 06:47 PM

Wideband O2 sensor cna replace the front O2 sensor if it has a narrowband output that can be wired in place of the original sensor output. The ROM will need rear O2 sensor and o2 sensor heater control disabled for it all to work without DTC.
You can also have a bung welded into the front pipe (pipe before the cat) and mount the wideband sensor there and retain original O2 sensors. This is what I am going to do when I find a spare front pipe

I have had a play with MMC PassThru software and it works for changing VIN
You do have to follow instructions carefully to "register" the software etc.......I will say no more
Gentlme (Aug 10, 2018)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 07:30 PM

Thank you very much for your detailed instructions. I think I know how to do it.

MMC PassThru is a great software, and if I burn an ECU again, he can help me save some money.

In the evening I tried to change my VIN with this software. Wow, sure enough, I managed to enter someone else's number and change it back to my own.

Last edited by Gentlme; Aug 10, 2018 at 06:18 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gentlme For This Useful Post:
jajk (Yesterday), Wanchai Panpron (Aug 11, 2018)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 03:24 AM

Gentlme
Thank for share another software.

for beginner
I suggests you to start with EVO X tuning guide from Merlins.
You can download here.
https://evoscan.com/merlins-openport...-tuning-guides

The Following User Says Thank You to Wanchai Panpron For This Useful Post:
Gentlme (Aug 12, 2018)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 05:26 AM

Thank you very much. I have started downloading learning.

I have another question.

Is the 4B12 camshaft the same as the camshaft of the Outlander?

Is the 4B12 sprocket the same as 4B11?

The merchant is the same as the sprocket, but the camshaft is different. Is that so?
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Except maybe for some weird models with only intake mivec:
All 4B12 camshafts are the same regardless of vehicle model i.e. Lancer, Outlander, Delica no difference.
All 4B12 sprockets are the same. 40 degrees intake, 20 degrees exhaust movement range.
The 4B12 intake sprocket is unique to the 4B12 but the exhaust sprocket is interchangeable with 4B11 (non-EVO).

Caution using Merlin's EVOX tuning guide: While it is very good, there is hardly anything in this that is relevant to a NA Lancer. Our NA engines require a totally different approach to tuning and there are massive differences in the way the ROMs work.
Gentlme (Today)
Old Today, 02:27 AM

Thank you for your guidance. I found the 4B12 camshaft and sprocket and was about to replace him.
In addition, I have not replaced the exhaust head, and still use the 4B10 4-1 exhaust, not 4-2-1. There is also a balance shaft, but I am not going to install him. Should there be no impact?
Old Today, 02:44 AM

4B12 exhaust manifold is 4-1 design. A 4-2-1 design is in some 4B11 but 1-2, 3-4 connections which is hopeless at low rpm but actually better at very high rpm.
Balancer shaft is not needed - apparently no issue with vibration without it so I have been told....
No need to replace ex cam and sprocket. The 4B10/11 sprocket is the same as 4B12 and the cam is the same except it is 3 degrees retarded compared to 4B12 which is actually better for tuning