Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Lancer <> Evo Front Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarkOJ1011
It seems as if the Lancer one is 4/16ths of an inch lower... but then again my Lancer's rubber bushing is beat... and is hanging down a bit lower than a brand new one.
4/16, that's a quarter of an inch. 1/4" does seem like a bit of big gap to me. I don't know how that would affect everything in the engine bay. The axles for one, would be sitting at a different angle. Though, I don't think that's a major issue.

Edit:
Now that I see your pictures, that extra 1/4" could easily be added using a 1/4" think plate between the crossmember and the mount.

Edit again:
Actually; not even. That extra 1/4" seem to account for the reinforcement they did on both ends of the crossmember.

Last edited by blaze_125; Aug 30, 2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would it be worth all of that? How much firmer over the RRM ones are these?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If they're not exactly the same, they're not a direct swap although it appears that they can be made to fit fairly easy. I don't personally see the point though. You can get a front mount for 70$ (or 10$ if you do it yourself) and the evo ones are more expensive than that (and most of the ones I've seen just replace the bushing). What would be nice to see is how that 1/4 inch gap comes into play when the mount is stiffer.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Edit again:
Actually; not even. That extra 1/4" seem to account for the reinforcement they did on both ends of the crossmember.
My OZ's bushing is drooping down at least 2/16th of an inch, due to it being so worn. The difference isn't even that bad. You're looking at a 2/16th of an inch tolerance difference really.

The reinforcement on the EVO's crossmember isn't 1/4th of an inch thick. Try 2/16th.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
If they're not exactly the same, they're not a direct swap although it appears that they can be made to fit fairly easy. I don't personally see the point though. You can get a front mount for 70$ (or 10$ if you do it yourself) and the evo ones are more expensive than that (and most of the ones I've seen just replace the bushing). What would be nice to see is how that 1/4 inch gap comes into play when the mount is stiffer.
The whole point of this thread is to see if the mounts are interchangeable. The OP did want to expand his engine mount options PAST what is normally offered to our Lancers. Yes, it may only cost $10 bucks to fill our mounts, but that's not what the OP wants to do.

You guys aren't looking at the pictures... my mount is DROOPING DOWN!! It is not a 1/4 inch gap. It might not even be much of a gap at all...
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

The best way to answer this is to compare a filled/stiff lancer mount with a filled/stiff evo mount. Comparing drooping mounts doesn't really make for a good answer.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
The best way to answer this is to compare a filled/stiff lancer mount with a filled/stiff evo mount. Comparing drooping mounts doesn't really make for a good answer.
Well then someone else will have to do that. I have already shown that the two mounts are interchangeable between both crossmembers. The tolerances... I'll leave that for someone else to answer.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 08:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everyone is making decent points here.

MarkOJ1011 - thanks for doing that legwork and seeing that they fit each other. At the same time, your saggy mount and assumptions that it will fit do kind of make this a question mark.

It's good to see that they're close. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good swap. When you're dealing with automotive tolerances, sometimes "close enough" turns into "failure."

As Nick is saying, until we get a definitive answer, it's all really "maybe" and guesswork.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

With the amount of engine movement that our engines go through in stock form... I'm surprised that you guys are so much into "engine tolerances".

To the OP... I would give you much props if you take my research further and actually buy an EVO mount and bolt it on. I highly doubt that you will have problems.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

The problem is we're not talking about a stock motor mount, we're talking about a stiffer mount. The stock evo mount could indeed fit cause rubber can stretch and squish, the same is not true of the filled mounts. That 1/4" gap could be enough that the bolt won't fit properly if the mount has no give.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by クリス
I'd think there'd be a shot of them fitting, they look like they have very similar mounting and bushing locations...

Courtesy of Road///Race Motorsports (**** YEA RRM)

Courtesy of Lancer Shop (http://www.lancershop.com) and Agency Power

They look strikingly similar.
Hi, where do you buy the rear engine mount?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Did you check the links? I doubt the guy is still watching given the last post was 8 years ago.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my car, I took a stock mount, and pressed out the Stock bushing, then bought the EVO Power Flex bushing and put it in the stock mount.

Fits perfect and works perfect. only modifications you have to do is the steel center piece you have to cut down to fit inside the stock mount.

I'll get a few pictures.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 09:53 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
It works

I was needing a replacement mount and happened to find someone selling Evo motor mounts locally from an VIII, and I found this thread and read up some. Mounted perfect into my '05 ES that I picked up as a work car. Will get pictures later. Stock Evo bracket as a whole, fit like a glove. Definitely doing it again. Made shifting much more responsive and reliable, consistent. Will get pictures later, maybe.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by blaze_125
Agreed, but it doesn't rule out the possibility of them being interchangable. I don't think anyone has tried to use an evo mount on the Lancer, so how would 1 be able to say yes or no?

Since this is not common knowledge, I'd appreciate if you could backup that statement with facts.

I it was a pain in the *** but I managed to get it fit. I had to force the cross member to align with the bolt holes. I had no issues bolting to the crossmember. I had to put the bolt through the center of the motor mount before I bolted the crossmember back to the body of the car. I've only driven to Walmart and back with it installed but I haven't had any issues yet. I'll attach pictures of what I got before and after installation. I have a 2003 mitsubishi lancer es and a oz rally edition.