Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Pulstar Spark Plugs > Preview > Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone have the proper gap for for the Lancer 08 and EVO X spark plugs?

I have the french manual lol and dont know french well, lost the english one
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

so not alot of personal experieince is out there eh
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by robyn402
so not alot of personal experieince is out there eh
pardon?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
So not a lot of people have personal experience with these plugs eh?

There, robyn to evom translation.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I can tell ya the that in the classic car circle I hang out in the belief is that these plugs are a bunch of "snake oil". Meaning, none of those guys believe the plugs are worth buying because it's likely that they do nothing better than regular plugs w/ a good ignition box.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

That would make better than regular plugs though. Sorta like saying an evo isn't any better than a civic with 20000$ in modifications under the hood.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ambystom01
So not a lot of people have personal experience with these plugs eh?

There, robyn to evom translation.
thats funny I thought I asked a question, and got a question lol
I know the gapping for my other cars but dont know the gap for the lancer and EVO. The long reach DG plugs are already configured for a WRX STI for testing at Fourstar on the dyno next week

Originally Posted by nunyas
Well, I can tell ya the that in the classic car circle I hang out in the belief is that these plugs are a bunch of "snake oil". Meaning, none of those guys believe the plugs are worth buying because it's likely that they do nothing better than regular plugs w/ a good ignition box.
I am not sure why people make comments on something they havent tested and tuned for themselves. If it works or not, this is the reason why I am evaluating them, I dont have a dog in the hunt on this one, so i dont care up or down if they work or not, I will call it as I see it. So keep the snake oil comments to yourself unless you have tested it and proven the plugs not to work in your application or not. I dont defend or advance any product, I only get to the bottom of it and figure out what works.

nunyas, not disrespect, You can fully well disagree with the product if you like but try to keep it grounded to something, or even make reference to something that you did read so that it adds something to the collective pool.

Last edited by evo_soul; Mar 10, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

If you go over to NASIOC, the inventor of the plugs is on there and there is quite a long thread discussing the plugs, how they work and what kind of data is out there to support them. When I need new plugs or when I have money to burn, I might go for a set.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
That would make better than regular plugs though. Sorta like saying an evo isn't any better than a civic with 20000$ in modifications under the hood.
I wouldn't say it's "like saying an evo isn't any better than a civic with 20000$ in modifications under the hood", because in the classics the biggest difference between a single spark iggy box and a points system is in the annual maintenance. As far as dual spark boxes go, the gains are so minimal that they fall within the 'margin of error' when it comes to measuring WHP. So, they don't even bother with them, especially on a street car. One of the favorite arguments those guys use is, "If they're ~that~ good then why aren't all new cars equipped with them as standard?"

Multi-spark systems (plugs or other wise) see the most gains in engines that have incomplete burn characteristics, and if you're engine is severely short of having complete combustion then you've got other issues to deal with before addressing how many times your ignition is sparking per hole. So, just popping in a set of dual sparking plugs won't have that much gain in our modern cars that burn so clean that the exhaust encourages grass to grow in the muffler...

I could be wrong though... I'd like to see the independent dynos back up the marketing dynos before I run out and buy a set of these plugs, IF I ever decide that I want to drop that kind of cash on a set of spark plugs.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
nunyas, not disrespect, You can fully well disagree with the product if you like but try to keep it grounded to something, or even make reference to something that you did read so that it adds something to the collective pool.
no offense taken.

but until I see your benchmarks supporting the marketing claims, I'll remain a skeptic regardless of application (e.g. classic cars vs. new cars).
Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

its everyones right, to be, as a consumer its how we stay out of trouble
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
anyone have the proper gap for for the Lancer 08 and EVO X spark plugs?

I have the french manual lol and dont know french well, lost the english one
According to the English version, the Lancer is 0.7-0.8mm (0.028-0.031). Limit is 1.2mm (0.047).
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

why not getting a twins power?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

What?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
I wouldn't say it's "like saying an evo isn't any better than a civic with 20000$ in modifications under the hood", because in the classics the biggest difference between a single spark iggy box and a points system is in the annual maintenance. As far as dual spark boxes go, the gains are so minimal that they fall within the 'margin of error' when it comes to measuring WHP. So, they don't even bother with them, especially on a street car. One of the favorite arguments those guys use is, "If they're ~that~ good then why aren't all new cars equipped with them as standard?"

Multi-spark systems (plugs or other wise) see the most gains in engines that have incomplete burn characteristics, and if you're engine is severely short of having complete combustion then you've got other issues to deal with before addressing how many times your ignition is sparking per hole. So, just popping in a set of dual sparking plugs won't have that much gain in our modern cars that burn so clean that the exhaust encourages grass to grow in the muffler...

I could be wrong though... I'd like to see the independent dynos back up the marketing dynos before I run out and buy a set of these plugs, IF I ever decide that I want to drop that kind of cash on a set of spark plugs.
The engine doesn't burn completely clean, hell a lot of cars (mainly turboed cars) don't run clean intentionally. Your also comparing a classic, carburated motor to a modern day, fuel injection motor where completely different rules may apply. This is a new system and isn't really like anything out there right now. From what I've read, it's a pretty decent design and does show some gains (I believe an evo gained about 5 whp with just plugs). I just wish they didn't cost 25$ a pop so I could maybe rationalize buying a set for ****s and giggles.

Quick Reply: Pulstar Spark Plugs > Preview > Review