Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

2009 Lancer GTS instake vents (should i enlarge it?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Lancer GTS instake vents (should i enlarge it?)

I just purchased a K&N drop in filter and i'd like to get the most out of it. I was wondering where i have circled it. Should i enlarge the intake vents? I was debating this because it really looks restricted, i'd like to open it as wide as the intake ducts.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:55 PM

you could try it but i dont think you would see any kind of gain from it. its not like it would become a true ram air just maybe lower your IT a couple degrees. To really make it work you wold need some kind of ducking in the grill to direct air up into the duct.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, you wouldn't feel a difference.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

I would not do that. That is a debris screen. I set a cap from an oil container right on top of there, forgot about it and started the engine. The engine sucked the cap right up to the air filter (fortunately the cap did not go through the air filter). If a piece of sharp metal or plastic were able to get through there especailly at high rpm's were the engine is suck a lot of air, it might go through the filter and well, the rest would be very bad. Also if debris starts to accumulate in the intake at the air filter, it will restrict air flow and that will also be bad.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:48 PM

You -could- do it. Who knows if you'd see a performance increase or not. That whole radiator cover is there just to force air through the radiator so you've got to imagine that, at speed, there's already a good deal of air forcing it's way through that vent.

Unless the Evo's air filter is built stronger than ours, I doubt debris would be a huge worry, you'd just have to clean it out more often/change filters. The Evo's and RA's have an open vent there with no slotting so..

Before you guys start harping on me about the Evo's being Evo's and the RA's being RA's.. They both dump right into an airbox like the Lancer just with less restriction.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by masterak
no, you wouldn't feel a difference.
+1.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:32 PM

Yea I wouldent change it. Is the k&n drop in any good?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

^^ get the injen 2.4L intake its pretty good i just installed it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:52 PM

Yea I herd those were good, but I must keep the car stock all the way so I can keep my 10 year warranty. My dealer told me that if I changed anything it would void the warranty
Old Jul 8, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timo606

I have been using the green HP air filter:

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/vehicl...hi&make=Lancer

There is another guy that is also using this filter and he posted a thread about them. I would not say it will win races, but it is an air filter, that is all. i did gain about 2 mpg's from it, and it is a lifetime filter. the only thing else you need is a cleaning kit for it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I herd those were good, but I must keep the car stock all the way so I can keep my 10 year warranty. My dealer told me that if I changed anything it would void the warranty
Your dealership couldnt be more wrong. they can only void you warranty if they can prove that the aftermarket part directly caused the malfunction. thats like the guy a while back saying that his stealership voided his warranty for using an aftermarket oil filter. i mean come on an oil filter is an oil filter as long as it is the one specified for your car they all do the same thing only some do it better than others.

bottom line is dont let your stealership push you around be a man or woman and stand your ground and fight the good fight.

as for the intake vent i wouldnt cut it, it wont make a difference.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dustyp34
Your dealership couldnt be more wrong. they can only void you warranty if they can prove that the aftermarket part directly caused the malfunction. thats like the guy a while back saying that his stealership voided his warranty for using an aftermarket oil filter. i mean come on an oil filter is an oil filter as long as it is the one specified for your car they all do the same thing only some do it better than others.

bottom line is dont let your stealership push you around be a man or woman and stand your ground and fight the good fight.

as for the intake vent i wouldnt cut it, it wont make a difference.
+1^
This topic has been beaten to a bloody mess. Dealers use this as a scare tatic against consumers. Search warrantys and you will see how many times this topic comes up. (it should be a sticky)
Old Jul 8, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

no big difference, it hasn't really affected my fuel economy too much. I do a lot of city driving, so when i installed it i noticed it stayed put on 8.3L/100km. With the stock, the best i got was 8.7L/100km....

Kinda sucks but, i'm still in the break in stage. Once i change my oil i hope to see better results!

Last edited by s84kam; Jul 9, 2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:47 AM

well since you did it anyway why dont you post up some pics so we can all marval at your handywork
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:03 PM

Back to the vent topic. I am looking the same pic and thinking about making a extended snap on funnel. It would extend from the top of the existing funnel and over the vents. Getting a funnel to go from the front grill to the vents is trickier. I'm still trying to figure out materials. Im not going to cut the vents, but instead precisely funnel air to the intake. Making evrything snap on is the goal so stock parts arent destroyed. Ill post pics in the future.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer GTS instake vents (should i enlarge it?)