Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

DarkMitsu's 4g64 Swap Page

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by darkmitsu; Sep 21, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well all my digging around for my dohc head swap has come up with a few things, apparently evo 8's bolt a 4g64 straight to there transmission when they do a 2.4 DOHC build, and this means that you can use an eclipse transmission and bolt a 4g63 from an evo 8 to it ...

So 3g eclipse transmission with a lancer differential , 4g63t , and an evolution 8 ecu, and there is your answer for your fwd evolution swap into a lancer es ls oz...
Or 3g eclipse tranmission , custom axel , 4g63t , and an evolution 8 ecu, and there is your answer for your fwd evolution swap into a lancer es ls oz...

Or you can go the route that I'm going have a 2.4 DOHC turbo setup (4g64T DOHC)... More Information Soon...

Last edited by darkmitsu; Sep 22, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why I'm going the direction of just buying the G64 block and getting an evo head right away. Swap it right away, I had the link to a DOHC swap from an eclipse site, but I don't have it anymore, what directions are you using?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

well, I got a hyundai head witch is similar casting of the evo 8 head, it has larger combustion chambers leading to a lower compression ratio than what an evo head will get you. I have read if you get an evo head that you must change your pistons, otherwise you will have valve to piston clearance issues. I got fidanza adjustable cam gears both intake and exhaust side I read you need to retard it between -3 and -4 degrees on both to get the timing belt teeth to line up with the gears... I will be using a 94 galant 4g64 dohc timing belt...No the 94 galant 4g64 wont bolt in the engine and transmission in that car are swapped around compared to our cars, engine on drivers side transmission on the passenger side...

Information I pulled from a hyundai forum ...
Both heads are the same except for the combustion chamber. The Evo is 43cc and the G4JS is about 56cc. So, swapping an Evo 7/8 head on a G4JS will yield about a 12:1 CR. Add an Evo 7/8 intake, either a HKS264 or 99-00 G4JS exhaust cam, 98+ Diamante 65mm TB, and DC Sport 4G64 header, you will end up low budget NA setup.
The valve springs must be swap out because the springs are weak compare to the springs in the Evo head.
The above motor G4JS is used in the kia optima and the hyundai sonata That is the motor I sourced my head from the stock compression ration on the G4JS motors are 10:1 stock horsepower rating of 140...So with the above information I beleive the same case with the 4g64 engine, if you swap the evo head you will have high compression ratio , good for N/A but not good for forced induction... The guys who swap the 4g64 block into there evo's usually build the block with new rods and piston combo's lowering the compression ratio...
The optima/sonata head appears to have the same oil passages as the evo head, they just aren't drilled and tapped for fittings.

Parts List for DOHC swap (what I Paid)
275$ 2000 hyundai sonata (had a snapped timing belt)
460$ machine shop work to make the head brand new
139$ evolution 9 intake manifold with all sensors
180$ evolution 8 coil packs and spark plugs wires , evo fuel rail , evo fuel pressue regulator , evo fuel return line
130$ evolution 9 MR throttle body with all sensors
250$ Brian Crowers 272 intake 272 exhaust cams
160$ 2 fidanza adjustable cam gears

Last edited by darkmitsu; Sep 29, 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

LEt me know how that works, because I have heard that the Hyundai head that is a direct swap is VERY rare, but I never got the actual year, and everyone I asked a long time ago on a few forums had NO idea.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Well, my evolution 8 rear waterpipe , cam sensor housing , and coil packs arrived today , and I tried to mount them to the hyundai head. They do not work so then I reread the parts list I got from a 3g site and it turns out im suppose to use the hyundai rear waterpipe , cam sensor housing , ect. so the head castings are alike but not the same at all . they look the same but have slight variances and differences ... oh another piece of information comparing the 4g94 coil pack with the 4g64 and 4g63 they are all one in the same ... the difference is the 4g63 uses different boots and plug wires . The 4g64 only uses different plugs wires . so last things I need is time to do the swap , timing belt and a head gasket... The BC272 cams bolt in fine , the valves , valve springs , retainers , are interchangable but not the same . So in the next few weeks the swap should begin....

Last edited by darkmitsu; Sep 29, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

sweet, let me know still
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

wow, can't wait to get this started. so theres no need to swap out the gears,just the differential. ARe the gear ratios the same from the eclipse tranny and Lancer tranny?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

the gear ratios are a bit different, if you run the eclipse size tire then you wont need to worry about the speedometer being off . I tried to make everything in this a straight forward easy to do swap .

I want to see more of em out there. I'm tired of people saying just go buy an EVO.

The lancer es/ls/oz is a great platform and there is tons of universal mods out there , Yes you might have to make something work but thats where tuning , tinkering , and learning comes into play... Back in 97 when I got my first car (1983 dodge colt) I thought car were the way you buy them and nothing can be changed , I slowly found out cars are how you build them ... Thanks to the tuning community and the internet...

In my book , the reason people dont make parts specifically for any car is because it take china about 15 minutes to rip off a part and sell it on ebay for 1/8 of the price. Then the person who spents month of Research & Developement on the items gets nothing, That why you see a lot of universal parts out there. Yes there is parts specifically made for (insert model) , that is because someone who paid 25-30k for there car is prolly going to be willing to pay 500-800$ for one part... someone who paid 5k for there car is prolly not going to want to spend that same kind of money...

Last edited by darkmitsu; Oct 11, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

How is the DOHC swap coming along?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

project is on hold and head swap is up for sale , I came across a really good deal on a supra and couldn't pass it up... I still drive my lancer everyday because I need it for the extra room because i work out of my car on the road...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

it's always something

I'm looking for an evo head because i got a manual eclipse RS for $400
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

so how is it as a daily driver. u notice a difference in power just crusing or passing on the freeway
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

There is about a 30 hp difference in the engine platforms, you know that right...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

yes.....

i guess i should say, a HUGE difference?

Quick Reply: DarkMitsu's 4g64 Swap Page