Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

GTS with EVO X Cams

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 08:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Swap cam shaft with different design and no fine tune will make your engine hiccup.

If you tune the ECU , there no need new cam shaft .
Old Aug 12, 2016, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey yo soy de PR acabo de comprar un lancer DE del 2009 std y quisiera saber cuando t

Yo se q el motor del evo es el mismo del ES y el DE pero mi pregunta seria cuan costo seria hacerlo turbo por q me interesaria hacerlo turbo
Old Jan 12, 2017, 01:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So I installed evo X cams on my Lancer Turbo build. No issues at all. Added Evo X springs to give them a bit more stiffness. Running strong!
Old Oct 26, 2019, 08:50 AM

do i have to install aftermarket valve sping in mi gts with evo x stock cams or i can use gts valve springs
Old Oct 26, 2019, 08:52 AM

do i have to install an aftermarket valve spring in my gts with evo x stock cams or i can use gts valve spring
Old Oct 27, 2019, 05:12 PM

I have a 4b11 with 4b12 block and evo x cams i made 175whp i want to know if i can put aftermarket 2.4 pistons and rods on a 4b11 crankshaft and head
Old Oct 28, 2019, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Yariff, Stock springs are fine with the evo x cams. Stiffer springs can adversely affect the mivec sprockets. Evo x intake cam mivec should be set to a peak actual advance of around 35~36 degrees at 3250 to 3500rpm.
There is no reason at all to change the exhaust cam or sprocket but do change to the evo x intake cam sprocket (same as 4B11 sprocket) to prevent excessive advancing making valves hit the pistons.

Leon S, you can put 4B12 pistons with 4B11 conrods into the 4B12 block with 4B11 crankshaft to make a very nice 2.2l Frankenstein engine. The compression ratio will be around 10.5:1 on stock pistons (piston height remains unchanged). You should also remove the balancer cassette and replace it with a 4B11 oil pump but be very careful with identifying the correct oil feed hole and bolt which is different to the 4B11. Get it wrong and you get no oil and engine fails real quick.... You will probably have problems getting maximum power out of it if you still have 4B11 injectors - find some 4B12 ones and switch to using a 4B12 ROM as base for tuning.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by jajk
Yariff, Stock springs are fine with the evo x cams. Stiffer springs can adversely affect the mivec sprockets. Evo x intake cam mivec should be set to a peak actual advance of around 35~36 degrees at 3250 to 3500rpm.
There is no reason at all to change the exhaust cam or sprocket but do change to the evo x intake cam sprocket (same as 4B11 sprocket) to prevent excessive advancing making valves hit the pistons.

Leon S, you can put 4B12 pistons with 4B11 conrods into the 4B12 block with 4B11 crankshaft to make a very nice 2.2l Frankenstein engine. The compression ratio will be around 10.5:1 on stock pistons (piston height remains unchanged). You should also remove the balancer cassette and replace it with a 4B11 oil pump but be very careful with identifying the correct oil feed hole and bolt which is different to the 4B11. Get it wrong and you get no oil and engine fails real quick.... You will probably have problems getting maximum power out of it if you still have 4B11 injectors - find some 4B12 ones and switch to using a 4B12 ROM as base for tuning.

I was hopping to have around 190whp i have 175whp with my setup and i also have upgraded springs and retainers but that doesn’t make gains and my ecu is from a RA but that only let me put ignition cut on the car other than that no gains i was thinking of buying an OBX header but i dont think it will make much difference from a stock header and as for the balancer cassette i dont know what is that but my engine previously was a full 4B11 and my mechanic rebuilt it and put a 4b12 block with evo x cams and bryant crowlers springs and retainers other than that is all 4b11 my goal is to have at least 200whp but i dont know if i can without turbo for now i want to stay NA
Old Oct 30, 2019, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Leon S, Did your mechanic transfer over the oil pump from your 4B11 block to the 4B12 block or did he leave the combination oil pump / balancer shaft unit (cassette) from the 4B12 intact? Apart from chewing around 2kW of power to drive it, the balancer shaft unit does not like revving beyond 6800rpm without risk of disintegrating.
The stock 4B11 exhaust manifold (clamshell type) is a horrible untuned piece of junk. Changing to a 4B12 ex manifold, which is a shorty 4into1 design, or going aftermarket will give you better torque but possibly no more peak power. A cat delete or hi-flow cat is a useful addition with real airflow benefits. Catback piping makes almost no difference to power but can look pretty and annoy neighbors if that is what you are into.
The stock intake manifold runners are long and tuned for lower rpm power so fade out by 6400rpm. Your engine would be good for 7200rpm with the shorter 4B11 stroke but won't keep generating useful power up there.
It is possible an evoX intake manifold might be a useful short runner intake (at the expense of lower end torque). Never tried this, never seen it done so only throwing it out there as a possibility.
The best I have done or seen on a relatively stock 4B12 engine is 137kW (183hp) @6400rpm ATW so your 4B11.5 should be capable of at least that by extending the powerband into a higher rpm range.
The following users liked this post:
Leon S (Nov 2, 2019)
Old Nov 2, 2019, 06:57 PM

Leon S, Did your mechanic transfer over the oil pump from your 4B11 block to the 4B12 block or did he leave the combination oil pump / balancer shaft unit (cassette) from the 4B12 intact? Apart from chewing around 2kW of power to drive it, the balancer shaft unit does not like revving beyond 6800rpm without risk of disintegrating.
The stock 4B11 exhaust manifold (clamshell type) is a horrible untuned piece of junk. Changing to a 4B12 ex manifold, which is a shorty 4into1 design, or going aftermarket will give you better torque but possibly no more peak power. A cat delete or hi-flow cat is a useful addition with real airflow benefits. Catback piping makes almost no difference to power but can look pretty and annoy neighbors if that is what you are into.
The stock intake manifold runners are long and tuned for lower rpm power so fade out by 6400rpm. Your engine would be good for 7200rpm with the shorter 4B11 stroke but won't keep generating useful power up there.
It is possible an evoX intake manifold might be a useful short runner intake (at the expense of lower end torque). Never tried this, never seen it done so only throwing it out there as a possibility.
The best I have done or seen on a relatively stock 4B12 engine is 137kW (183hp) @6400rpm ATW so your 4B11.5 should be capable of at least that by extending the powerband into a higher rpm range.

my car can go up to 7200rmps and the header i have is the 4b12 semi header and no cat and a vibrant exhaust i was looking into that evo x aluminum intake manifold but i do t know if I should pay someone to make me a custom one or buy the evo x and i heard from a friend that if i do a custom intake manifold with a bigger throttle body and change the gas pump I could get near the 185whp i get the manifold and trottle body but a gas pump if is NA I wouldn’t gain any HP from an evo X aftermarket one right know im going to get the 2.4 injectors you suggested and maybe the OBX Header for 2.4 lancers and go for a retune and see how much HP i can get with that i have seen people get 200whp with Bryan crowlers stage 2 cams and reviving at 8200rmp but those are really expensive
Old Nov 2, 2019, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Leon S, your car will go up to whatever you set the rev limit to but that doesn't mean you will go any faster. If you feed your logs into Virtual Dyno, you will see what I mean. Take a look at the difference between 4B11 and 4B11T conrods before considering going beyond 7200rpm. So many people think they are the same engine and don't notice the glaringly obvious differences like the bigger crank and rods that allow the 4B11T not to fly apart at 8200rpm.
There is little to no gain going to an OBX header since you already have a reasonable 4into1. Just check the transition from ex port into the stock 4B12 header is smooth and the inner tubing doesn't cause an obstructive ridge to airflow. As for an intake manifold.......I think an evoX one would be the way to go but you have to consider things like the different fuel rail fitments.
Yes 4B12 injectors are needed and these can be increased in flow by adding another 5psi to the fuel pump if you max those out. I think there is a Dodge model with a higher pressure pump???
A 60mm throttle certainly helps.
Sticking any "stage 2" cam in is a real bad idea - these do not play nice in the NA engine. If cams are on the cards, stick to the lowest possible duration evoX cams (260/250 degrees combination).
You can get any horsepower you like depending on how you present yourself to the dyno shop
Leon S (Nov 2, 2019)
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:45 PM

Leon S, your car will go up to whatever you set the rev limit to but that doesn't mean you will go any faster. If you feed your logs into Virtual Dyno, you will see what I mean. Take a look at the difference between 4B11 and 4B11T conrods before considering going beyond 7200rpm. So many people think they are the same engine and don't notice the glaringly obvious differences like the bigger crank and rods that allow the 4B11T not to fly apart at 8200rpm.
There is little to no gain going to an OBX header since you already have a reasonable 4into1. Just check the transition from ex port into the stock 4B12 header is smooth and the inner tubing doesn't cause an obstructive ridge to airflow. As for an intake manifold.......I think an evoX one would be the way to go but you have to consider things like the different fuel rail fitments.
Yes 4B12 injectors are needed and these can be increased in flow by adding another 5psi to the fuel pump if you max those out. I think there is a Dodge model with a higher pressure pump???
A 60mm throttle certainly helps.
Sticking any "stage 2" cam in is a real bad idea - these do not play nice in the NA engine. If cams are on the cards, stick to the lowest possible duration evoX cams (260/250 degrees combination).
You can get any horsepower you like depending on how you present yourself to the dyno shop

how can i tell if the injectors im buying are for a 2.4 im searching on ebay and they say lancer injectors for 2.0/2.4 and theirs one that says 2.4 and do i need to upgrade the fuel pump or the OEM its ok for a car not running E85 im on pump 93 octane and those throttle bodys are really expensive lol 378$ and btw thanks for all the help man im From Puerto Rico and people here are more interested in Hondas and Tecnicas(Mirage) and for lancers theres not to much people willing to share their findings other than telling you to go buy and Evo or mechanics trying to steal money lying about mods than dont do **** i had to learn that the hard way
Old Nov 3, 2019, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Leon S, 4B11 injectors are smaller than 4B12 - they are not the same part. I do not know how to tell them apart by looking at them. The stock fuel pumps are the same so no need to go changing that until you see IPW pushing beyond 90% which indicates that injectors are maxxing out. I doubt that you will reach that point. Remember you can get 4B12 parts off Hyundai/Kia/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep etc.
I don't know why the throttle body would be so expensive....either a stock evoX or a late model Galant (or whatever you call them over there) throttle body will do the trick. I bored out my original to 60mm... if you know a good machinist.
I know what you are saying and it is not just Puerto Rico......
Old May 22, 2020, 12:34 AM

Thanks for all the good info here! Im swapping in a used 2.4 with just over 100k miles tomorrow on my 2010 gts. Could i reach 200 hp with just bolts ons? If i decide to do that and the stock evox cams and springs + a good tune about where do you think that would land me? Im not trying to go all out yet.. i'll have my white and black evo one day just want a nice dd for now. Also how hard would it be to adjust the timing with the new cam?
Old May 22, 2020, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Blackgts10 200hp is a walk in the park for a stock 4B12 without "bolt ons".... providing you have a 5MT.
Stock evo x cams do not require the springs to be replaced and are only really useful if you increase the throttle size, improve exhaust and intake system first. If you have a CVT, forget it!!! A tuned stock 4B12 is more than capable of destroying the CVT and the TCM will be limiting available torque and rpm anyhow....
gts_brzy (Oct 21, 2021)

Quick Reply: GTS with EVO X Cams