Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

2003 Lancer 4g69 swap

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I finally came home to the cars and was able to pull the axles off but they came apart improperly, sigh, time for new axles. Probably a good time to do it as i swap every thing over to my 03. I'm going to wake up early and try and push the block and trans back together and input the torque converter bolts back. Then try to pull the engine out.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

The engine and the transmission are not aligned and cant seem to get the engine back over to help this. I don't feel confident out the moment and just going to put everything up. I don't want to hurt anything or as i lift the engine up have it separate mid-air. I'm not feeling confident and just going to wait till I get some information from you guys. The dream just seems to get farther and farther away.

Last edited by jb988; May 16, 2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old May 17, 2017, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I feel like I it is pretty obvious that I went about this wrong and maybe it's time to circle back and start at square one. I check in here often and I notice the amount of views goes up a few every days, but I feel my actions in this process just make people cringe and leave my post. That's not what I want this forum to be. I love the lancer, I own an 03, an 04 ralliart(wrecked/donor car), and 09 gts. I want to work and grow the cars so they are fun to drive. I grapple with giving up all the time, but I go through the pictures in my phone and remember how much I enjoy working on the lancer, especially the first 03. I want feedback though. My next idea for this thread is for us to start from the beginning. Lets compile a step by step guide on where to start when attempting to pull a motor out of one of the lancers contained within in this thread, then discuss what must be done in order to swap the 69 into a 4g94 body. Is this a good idea? What do you all think?
Old May 18, 2017, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can tell you now that I am a regular on here and I do check threads alot. First off lemme suggest that you add pics of where youre hung up at. They will really help for ppl like us to kinda give some insight. Secondly, dont give up..you are gonna have frustrating moments. Its project car life...lol.

Use your engine hoist to hold up the engine and use a floor jack to support the trans...its gonna be tricky cause the rear motor mount needs to clear the bracket. I get stuck on it every time, but a little shimmying and it will free itself.

Last edited by MurphDurph; May 18, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old May 21, 2017, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for chiming in MurphDurph, with any amount of help. I was looking at my schedule and I forgot my summer classes will be starting up in the next couple of weeks, and I am not sure when is the next time I am going to be able to get to the cars again. I'll try and take some pictures the next time I do go back home, but I do remember seeing how tight the rear mount is near the fire wall. Anybody else chime in if possible with anything. Even if it is with some hate. Just want to keep this thread a thread with some conversation and not just me writing some weird online journal for myself.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing the swap right now in my 03 Es
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:51 PM

The fastest and easiest way to do this swap.... jack the car up high enough, pull the fender liner out, take the windshield washer bottle out. With the rad and ac condenser out. If you have pulled the axles, take the cross brace off with the lower trans mount (rad side), remove the mount through bolt (firewall side) lower the engine and trans together on the ground. Then drag it out the passenger side through the huge opening. I dropped the 4G94, fully dressed and pulled it out, then slid the fully dressed 4G69 in its place, hoisted it up together and put the mounts on. Probably one of the easiest conversion swaps I've ever done.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moronicicon
The fastest and easiest way to do this swap.... jack the car up high enough, pull the fender liner out, take the windshield washer bottle out. With the rad and ac condenser out. If you have pulled the axles, take the cross brace off with the lower trans mount (rad side), remove the mount through bolt (firewall side) lower the engine and trans together on the ground. Then drag it out the passenger side through the huge opening. I dropped the 4G94, fully dressed and pulled it out, then slid the fully dressed 4G69 in its place, hoisted it up together and put the mounts on. Probably one of the easiest conversion swaps I've ever done.
I didnt know it would be that easy from the bottom...i did mine from the top, but i took out the trans first so it wasnt all that bad. Ill have to try and put it in from the bottom when i get it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by MurphDurph
I didnt know it would be that easy from the bottom...i did mine from the top, but i took out the trans first so it wasnt all that bad. Ill have to try and put it in from the bottom when i get it.
it was so much nicer pulling it up into place and not messing around with the "power supply" wiring as I disconnected it from the engine fuse box and left it with the motor. With all the accessories and belt on, far less work to do when the powertrain is in place. I have the exhaust left to run, this evening, and she'll be up and running.
granted is did a bunch of "pre" wiring and things before putting the 4G69 into place.. I modified my ralliart harness and took the entirety of the ABS system out of the harness. Just for the cleaner look.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:29 PM

As of this evening my 4G69 swap into my 03 Es, is now a running unit. Fully wired and did the test start up, loud as hell as I have no exhaust on it. Just wanted to see if it fired. I'll have the exhaust and put it in on the weekend. In the meantime, I'll put the rest of the car back together and by Sunday I'll be driving.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moronicicon
Thats what i was thinking when i read on the thread. Most cars are easier to drop the engine out the bottom. Especially with FWD cars since they install the engines from the factory from the bottom. Eventually i plan on swapping in a 4g64 and im going to slam it in through the bottom of the bay. I think the guy that did the how to on 4g64 swap, put it in from the bottom. Or more so lowered the car onto the engine.

I do know 4g64 and 4g69 and different, but they are VERY similar in size and shape. I think the evo 9 guys use a 4g69 bottom end due to the mivec stuff.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 03OZstocker
Thats what i was thinking when i read on the thread. Most cars are easier to drop the engine out the bottom. Especially with FWD cars since they install the engines from the factory from the bottom. Eventually i plan on swapping in a 4g64 and im going to slam it in through the bottom of the bay. I think the guy that did the how to on 4g64 swap, put it in from the bottom. Or more so lowered the car onto the engine.

I do know 4g64 and 4g69 and different, but they are VERY similar in size and shape. I think the evo 9 guys use a 4g69 bottom end due to the mivec stuff.
the 4G64 and 4G69 are very similar, as far as the base engine goes. The mivec system is mainly in the head though for variable valve timing, based off oil control system. The 4G64 swap is easy as well, as long as you've got all the parts required and changed stuff over ahead of time. The reason I chose the 4G69 is because it's in the lancers already, plus I had a complete donor/parts car, with low mileage.
Im sure I'll end up doing the 4G64 swap in another one, I get bored easy and I also just do this **** because I can.
I have read a full thread on the swaps because they tend to hurt my brain, too much needless modifications. When you're very familiar with the product, swaps and conversions aren't that bad. My rear disc brake conversion in my 03 Es was a snap,
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:31 AM

4G69 swap complete and running. Up to operating temp with zero issues. Reassemble the front of the car and go driving, is all that's left.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

I got an email update that there had been activity in my thread, but with school and work I just kind of ignored. I saw the final one this morning and just wanted to scrap the whole thread, but then i saw the completed images of the swap and are seconding guessing giving up. My birthday is coming about a week from now and maybe I'll take a trip to my home town and try and get back under the cars. I don't feel very confident with pulling the engine out from the bottom because I do not have anything to rest it on to slide it out.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by jb988
I got an email update that there had been activity in my thread, but with school and work I just kind of ignored. I saw the final one this morning and just wanted to scrap the whole thread, but then i saw the completed images of the swap and are seconding guessing giving up. My birthday is coming about a week from now and maybe I'll take a trip to my home town and try and get back under the cars. I don't feel very confident with pulling the engine out from the bottom because I do not have anything to rest it on to slide it out.
they can both come out through the top as a unit but, you have to pull all the front accessories off. As well as the oil filter. Take the rad and ac condenser out. Remove the mount bracket for the front roll stopper (rad side mount) move the assembly towards the rad support to get it off the back roll stopper. Put a milk crate or something under the engine, so you can change the angle on your chain, and lower it. Adjust the chain so you have about a 45 degree angle, then pull it out the top. Just be careful that you clear the bracket system on the drivers side, where the trans mounts and the battery goes. I put the engine and trans assembly in my 05 Ralliart that way.

Quick Reply: 2003 Lancer 4g69 swap