Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4b12 to 4b11

Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4b12 to 4b11

Hello so for some back story I have a 2009 lancer gts with the 2.4l engine and a 5 speed manual. I recently blew that engine and need to find one to swap, but I have been unsuccessful finding one. I was curious if I could swap a 2.0 instead? Would the engine mounts line up and would I be able to use the same transmission? Any feed back is appreciated thank you
Old Nov 7, 2019, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zachcz
Hello so for some back story I have a 2009 lancer gts with the 2.4l engine and a 5 speed manual. I recently blew that engine and need to find one to swap, but I have been unsuccessful finding one. I was curious if I could swap a 2.0 instead? Would the engine mounts line up and would I be able to use the same transmission? Any feed back is appreciated thank you
Am getting ready to go buy a 2009 gts to replace my 2008 that i wrecked three weeks ago. The car i am looking at was a 2.4 but he say that they put a 2.0 in ir he can't get it to run. Says there is no spark. So i am hoping its the ecm. I have three. So if i can get it to run i will definitely let you know.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
zachcz, William Watson, It horrifies me to be part of a 4B12 to 4B11 swap discussion but there is no difference to engine mounting and transmission between 4B11 and 4B12. Even the different exhaust manifolds bolt straight up but I trust you will keep the superior 4B12 version.....if you have access to the wrecked 4B12 engine, also raid the injectors and intake cam with sprocket if you intend to tune the 4B11.
The only thing you need to do is flash a suitable 4B11 ROM into the 4B12 ecu. Use an older version of ecuflash to avoid the complaining about wrong version of ROM etc.
Keep in mind that 4B12s are found in more than just Mitsis, Hyundai/ Kia, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge have used the same engine in various models. A few external parts are different but you can swap those off your wrecked 4B12 engine. Surely there are plenty of wrecked Jeeps in the USA since they don't take long to fall apart all by themselves
The following users liked this post:
zachcz (Nov 8, 2019)
Old Nov 8, 2019, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jajk
zachcz, William Watson, It horrifies me to be part of a 4B12 to 4B11 swap discussion but there is no difference to engine mounting and transmission between 4B11 and 4B12. Even the different exhaust manifolds bolt straight up but I trust you will keep the superior 4B12 version.....if you have access to the wrecked 4B12 engine, also raid the injectors and intake cam with sprocket if you intend to tune the 4B11.
The only thing you need to do is flash a suitable 4B11 ROM into the 4B12 ecu. Use an older version of ecuflash to avoid the complaining about wrong version of ROM etc.
Keep in mind that 4B12s are found in more than just Mitsis, Hyundai/ Kia, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge have used the same engine in various models. A few external parts are different but you can swap those off your wrecked 4B12 engine. Surely there are plenty of wrecked Jeeps in the USA since they don't take long to fall apart all by themselves
I am dont have access to the cars old engine. I am buying it after the 2.0 was put in. I will definitely ask about it tho. I have everything else. I was just going to get the car and if it came done to it i would have to find a 2.0 rom that would work. From what you told me awhile ago, i have a old rom. So i am not sure if mine out of my 08 will work. But i was definitely going to try. I am staying in the lancer till i can't buy anymore of them.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jajk
I appreciate this response 😂 I didn’t like the idea of the swap either just needed a fix, but now it seems I’ve found a good 4b12 engine out of a 2011 lancer. Is there any difference in the engine from 2009-2011? Just want to make sure it’ll work before I buy it thanks
Old Dec 16, 2019, 07:13 PM

Yes it will work, I have put a 08 GTS 2.0 in a 09 GTS that had a 2.4. So it can be done. Not sure if I had to but I used the wiring harness from the 08 just to be sure I had all the connections. I started the car yesterday and ran the motor for about 15 mins. drained the oil put new oil in and bam I am done. But just a heads up for people if you break the motor trans apart put some fluid in the slave cylinder to save time with bleeding the clutch. Cause if not you will need a pump to get it back in.
Old May 14, 2021, 10:36 AM

Hello.
I know the discussion is a bit old, however I wanted to ask, if the following change can be made.

I have a 2013 Lancer with a 4b11 engine and a 5 speed manual transmission.
However I have been improving it, I already installed a configuration of a long 4 to 1 header, the cylinder head is ported, it has the TB of a 4G69 and it has a new ecu, and I would like to know if I can install the engine block of the 4b12 (that is to say the 2.4 ) with the cylinder head of the 4b11 engine (2.0 engine). That is, I would like to have a 4b11 / 4b12 hybrid in this case.
Will the cylinder heads be interchangeable?

Are the blocks the same and only the size of the cylinder changes?
Old May 14, 2021, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Nihl, Yes you can use a 4B12 block with a 4B11 head. The heads are identical except for slightly smaller valve throats but these work in your favor to remove the dip in torque 3000~3500rpm that 4B12s have. When it comes to ports, bigger is not always better. The block is identical apart from the cylinder bore. You can throw in a 4B11 crank and rods with 4B12 pistons to gain 10.5:1 compression and a modest increase in capacity or keep it all 4B12 depending on what good parts you have in both engines...
If you go full 4B12, it would be easiest to flash a 4B12 ROM but that needs a 4B12 ecu or earlier 4B11 ecu that has the ROM ID at 5002a address (usually a 2010 or earlier 4B11 without egr valve).