Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

What parts are involved in priming the engine for start?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What parts are involved in priming the engine for start?

Hi all, I have a 2003 Lancer ES, stock. I am the original owner. At around 60k after changing water pump, belts, transmission fluid etc the car started to take multiple cranks to start every 1/10 starts. It’s now been 5 years and car is at 100k miles and the issue progressed to where it happens almost every time.

i know that fuel doesn’t get injected on our cars when key is set to ON but gets injected on actual cranking.

If I tap the gas once before start the car starts every time first try. I think this means the issue is with priming.

once the car runs it runs like a dream, good idle, no misfires. Can it be the pump? And/or fuel filter that prevent enough injection but compensate by working harder during actual runtime? What other parts are involved in the starting process?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 02:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
It can be a dirty fuel filter sock or dirty injjectors. In a 15 year old car, I would replace the injectors and the spark plugs first and see if that helps your starting issue. What happens is if the injector is dirty or damaged, it may not close all the way when you turn the engine off. This leaks fuel into a cylinder and makes it more difficult to start next time you go to start the car.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So at 60k when this issue started happening the spark plugs (and coils) were also replaced, so I dont think its the spark plugs, unless they arent properly gapped or something... but if it was spark plugs then there would be issue during normal running right?

For injectors, is there any way to test them?

Last edited by Chrushev; Nov 17, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrushev
So at 60k when this issue started happening the spark plugs (and coils) were also replaced, so I dont think its the spark plugs, unless they arent properly gapped or something... but if it was spark plugs then there would be issue during normal running right?

For injectors, is there any way to test them?
The best way to test the injectors is on a flow bench, but there are other creative methods of testing if they are leaking. These methods can be messy. One thing you can do is remove the spark plugs of each cylinder 10 minutes after engine off and check to see if any pistons appear wet. You can then swap injectors around to confirm the culprit. Another involves removing the fuel rail with the injectors still in it, zip tying the injectors to the rail, and priming the fuel pump to see if any of them are leaking. I don't recommend this process unless you know exactly how to handle pressurized injectors.