EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Engine Tech (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-tech-56/)
-   -   Compressed Air Boost? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-tech/222104-compressed-air-boost.html)

anyoneelse Sep 7, 2006 03:49 PM

Compressed Air Boost?

I read in the ultimate guide low buck peroformance upgrades that you can rig up a can of compressed air upside-down and spray it into the intake to get an almost freezing cold air boost. Has anyone done this or know where to get the compressed air cans? They only ones i know about are computer dusters but ive read that most of those don t contain air, but some other gases that are easier to compress.

bene Sep 7, 2006 03:54 PM

compressed air paintball tanks, if u regulate them they will last a while

Blacksheepdj Sep 7, 2006 03:55 PM

You are going to blow your car up. Period. :lol:

bene Sep 7, 2006 05:31 PM

i dont see any way it will work, just cause more trouble and leaks

mitsuozboi Sep 7, 2006 05:41 PM

Sounds like a pain and something that will look odd for the minimal gains. Put a vent in your hood for the intake.. That would work better and be easier it seems.

atilla Sep 7, 2006 06:30 PM

i saw a video a long time ago of people injecting NO2 into their engine with a weedwhacker on a dyno... hilarious. i wanted to find a link to that clip and post it but the video seems to be nowhere to be found.

Walkingchaos Sep 7, 2006 07:08 PM

^ the one i saw was with a leaf blower, they saw a 50hp gain with that little rig.

kott_tot Sep 8, 2006 04:53 PM

or how bout those electric superchargers? taking those matress inflators connecting it to your intake and cigarette lighter, bam 10 sec 1/4

atilla Sep 8, 2006 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Walkingchaos
^ the one i saw was with a leaf blower, they saw a 50hp gain with that little rig.

barf, that's what i meant... i don't know WHY i said weedwhacker.

that would explain why i never found this link.

mitsuozboi Sep 8, 2006 05:17 PM

lol. thats crazy. goes to show you what adding air to the engine can do.

Green_Bandit Sep 11, 2006 08:49 PM

That is crazy...

I'm speechless

HobieKopek Sep 12, 2006 11:21 AM

DEI makes a kit called the CryO2 kit if I remember correctly. Waste of money.

hopper Sep 12, 2006 11:42 AM

Id be careful using this. some of them(definatley paintball canisters) use c02 or carbon dioxide, which is very regularly used in fire extinguisher's and i am unsure what it would actually do to the combustion process but I can imagine it wouldnt be so pretty.

SLVROZ_03 Sep 12, 2006 12:17 PM

Thought only the CryO2 kit was used to cool intercoolers?

rcheung Sep 12, 2006 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuozboi
lol. thats crazy. goes to show you what adding air to the engine can do.

An engine is just a big air blower. The more air you can get through it, the faster you'll go. Of course if the car isn't tuned for more air it can have negative effects like running lean and blowing engines.