EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Engine Tech (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-tech-56/)
-   -   need help with my 4g94 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-tech/720741-need-help-my-4g94.html)

Dank_oZ rally02 Oct 24, 2015 07:48 PM

need help with my 4g94

I just bought a 2002 lancer oz rally and was wondering what's the first thing I should put in to my motor other cold air intake ??? And suggestions ???

doncarbone Oct 24, 2015 09:02 PM

what are the miles on the engine? i would start there and make realistic goals for what you want out of the car.

Dank_oZ rally02 Oct 24, 2015 09:08 PM

need help with my 4g94

It has 118,000 miles its not that bad what do u think its best to start off with ?

doncarbone Oct 24, 2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dank_oZ rally02 (Post 11526518)
It has 118,000 miles its not that bad what do u think its best to start off with ?

i'd probably address the timing components, check the belt, give the engine some TLC before deciding to add any sort of bolt-ons. Check the compression of each cylinder. Ensure the engine is still healthy. Check your fuel system.

The intake isn't a bad place to start, get a nice clean K&N filter. An exhaust system probably next, then I could see myself wanting to next address the handling and braking of the vehicle.

Short of a turbo, you aren't going to find parts available that are going to do much as far as the power output is concerned, but by addressing the suspension and brakes you can raise the enjoyment factor of the car quite dramatically.

I've done just about everything you can possibly do to an OZ Rally, and more, and for me the most enjoyable mod were my TEIN coilovers.

Dank_oZ rally02 Oct 24, 2015 09:23 PM

I'm going to def do that thanks..I've been told before that I would have to custom make make my turbo kit is that true ?

doncarbone Oct 24, 2015 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dank_oZ rally02 (Post 11526521)
I'm going to def do that thanks..I've been told before that I would have to custom make make my turbo kit is that true ?

I would recommend doing this as you'll arrive at a system you'll then be able to more readily maintain and work on in the future (just by virtue of having spent time understanding it and piecing it together yourself), and you'll probably end up saving some money over any available 'complete kit'.

The only turbo kit to my knowledge for the 4G94 is Road Race Motorsports' kit which is in the opinion of a lot of Lancer owners overpriced for what you actually get. This kit includes a 16G EVO 3 style turbo and usually gets most users just over the 200hp mark installed at their recommend 8psi.

jimbo74 Oct 26, 2015 11:25 AM

I don't think you are near ready to put a turbo on it.......

Seriouscupcake Nov 29, 2015 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dank_oZ rally02 (Post 11526518)

From what I've read up on so far the most popular thing to do for more ooomph is 4G64 swap it. I don't remember what specifically but I remember reading some Evo components are compatible with 64. Those engines are found in 3G and possibly 4G Eclipses and the 7th and 8th generation of the Galant. Or you could be like doncarbone and 4G69 swap it. Those engines are found on 04-06 Lancer Ralliarts the last generation of Galant and I think the 4G Eclipse. It is more unique to run that instead of the more common swap, but if I remember right from reading his swap its more difficult. I do know for both 2.4 swaps a custom motor mount is needed, I believe drivers side. As for the 4G94 I've done so much reading and searching on how to make this engine quicker and have come to the conclusion it's just better to preform a swap. It can't handle much boost, and the aftermarket support for it is dismal. Things to look out for on this particular Lancer I've noticed over the years, the trim above the doors like to deteriorate, lower cat code PO421 (there was a recall on this but mine is way out of warranty so I spaced the o2 sensor because I inspect my own car ¯\(ツ)/¯) and strut tower rust can get BAD, then again yours is at 118k mine is at 208k just be wary if it begins to show up. Hope this has given you some insight :mitsu:

Metalsoft1 Dec 1, 2015 11:34 AM

Just to give you a idea....

I added a OBX exhaust 4-2-1 header with wrap, Cold Air intake, Upgraded ignition coils and NGK spark plug wires, Alum RRM Underdrive pulley, Megan Racing full exhaust.

Very small if any noticeable power increase. Sounds bad ass though.

I might be up to 130 from 120

OZRallyStud Oct 9, 2018 11:16 PM

I have a 2004 oz rally and wanted to know how to push more boost. Can I upgrade my internals to rrm and I mean everything they have for engines to make it stronger.