EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Engine Tech (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-tech-56/)
-   -   Port and polishing head... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-tech/8261-port-polishing-head.html)

deltron79 Sep 17, 2002 04:22 AM

Port and polishing head...

Im just wondering how much of a gain in h.p. porting and polishing the head would bring. As well as benefits/drawbacks there may be to it:mitsu:

Pimpson Sep 17, 2002 05:31 AM

not know cause the only people to do it I believe was RMR and they did more than just those mods, probably not terribly significant. 5-10% is my guess. P.S. Deltron album is tha shizz.

Fastpaced Sep 17, 2002 10:43 AM

look here!!!! when you are looking to polish your ports, the reason you would want to do so is not to so much gain horsepower, (note that the first opinion is only 5-10%, which I can agree with), but you are looking for a gain in effeciency. Smooth, large amounts of air induction increase will be the key to any engine performance gain in the long run, it all comes back to that. So look to gain good effeciency, great air induction the engine can work with, I think if you understand it in that sense you can better your engine through a different since, its all about the air, fuel and ignition should be held secondary.
:headbang:

HobieKopek Sep 17, 2002 10:50 AM

Induction increase = power increase. Hence the reason we put breathing and exhaust mods on our car. Essentially by porting and polishing your head you're just starting at the end of the intake system and the beginning of the exhaust system. :dunno:

majin Sep 17, 2002 10:57 AM

Wouldn't you waste a little more gas? Or just when your full throttle?:drink:

pjal84 Sep 17, 2002 11:02 AM

Only if the ECU chooses to drop in more fuel to accomodate the additional air charge.

Pimpson Sep 17, 2002 11:14 AM

Originally posted by pjal84
Only if the ECU chooses to drop in more fuel to accomodate the additional air charge.
which is a good thing.

When I first got the car I really liked the SOHC brute run up to red line..just imagining it in a non 35mpg form made me drool. but to make the ecu push any significant amount more, at least enough for your gas to get ****ty, you would need more than I/H/E/ mods.

when I first installed the test pipe, for about 4 hours the car seemd to really suck the gas up, but it settled after i restarted it and so far haven't noticed anything significant.

agsmooth84 Sep 17, 2002 11:39 AM

how much is that usually

Pimpson Sep 17, 2002 11:40 AM

cual es que?

deltron79 Sep 18, 2002 12:53 AM

so getting more air into it, along with the larger ports on the head...that would increase combustion efficiency?? is that correct??? :dunno:

HobieKopek Sep 18, 2002 01:05 AM

More or less. It's the same basic principle as adding an intake or making any other breathing mod.

more EVOlved Sep 18, 2002 01:23 AM

Fastpaced is right, you won't really notice a difference in initial performance with just port/polishing the heads. But the modifications you do in the future will give you better performance then what they are rated to give. You'll really appreciate doing it if you plan to go to forced induction or nitrous.

3K Sep 18, 2002 01:47 AM

I agree with FASTPACE, and I would add to that, port and polishing also removes any hot points or flash areas left over by the casting process, which helps in eliminating detonation when you significantly increase combustion pressures. ie. forced induction, NOS.

El-Vegs Sep 18, 2002 01:51 PM

How much does polishing the heads cost anyway? Or can u easily do it urself if u know what ur doing?

Let's say someone who knows "what an engine is", can they just decided to pop open the hood and start working?

Pimpson Sep 18, 2002 11:51 PM

No, you need precise machines and have to have some experience in order to do a good job. the kinda thing you take to someone for.