Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Best cruising RPM? Best speed for max MPG?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and the few times i have run higher octane on stock setup (yes ive done it)...it makes no difference, but the fuel injector treatment i do requries me to do it whenever i do the treatment........
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Luck.

Different cars perform differently.

Before we started modding, we could've dynoed our cars and gotten different numbers. By the same token, two different Lancers will turn up different MPG.

If you get high numbers, feel happy. If not, better luck next time!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

in my auto on the way to my g-parents house at 1/2 a tank im at 165miles. thats highway/country roads at 60 - 70 mph.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:26 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsTheDriver13
i shift around 3 grand and use crusie control at 65.
I used to shift around 3,000 and got about 27 mpg, then a fellow EvoM member (Deltron) told me he shifted at 3,500 and got 35mpg plus. So I tried that, and now I get around 29. Still not as good as his car is getting, but it helped. Maybe try that.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, you guys drive hard. I drive an EVO softly, and I'm able to get over 300 miles per tank! WOW!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:15 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeZaVu
Wow, you guys drive hard. I drive an EVO softly, and I'm able to get over 300 miles per tank! WOW!
I still don't get how people judge by miles per tank. Some people run it to empty, others fill it at about 1/4 tank left (like me) so how do you compare? I'm not sure about the Evo, but the Lancer has a 13 gallon tank, so if you really did get 300 miles per "tank" you'd be getting a **** poor 23 miles per gallon. I'm sure you're getting more than that though, just don't know how much. I for example fill my tank about once every 300 miles, but that's usually 10-11 gallons, because like most people, I don't wait until the car sputters to death to fill it.

But another thing you might want to know is that turbocharged cars tend to get better gas mileage than naturally aspirated ones. So you're absolutely right, an Evo driven softly should get more mileage than a Lancer. I'm assuming you have the same size tank, so you probably get about 30-32 mpg as well, which is just fine for that car.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I used to shift around 3,000 and got about 27 mpg, then a fellow EvoM member (Deltron) told me he shifted at 3,500 and got 35mpg plus. So I tried that, and now I get around 29. Still not as good as his car is getting, but it helped. Maybe try that.
shifting at higher rpm's = go faster = better gas milage = AWESOME! im gonna give it a try this tank. thanks dude
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
I'll be going about 80-85 MPH the whole way (except in Oregon )
why slow down? I go 75 - 80 on my morning commute into portland, long as you got a decent radar detector, and if you go slower than 75 out in easter oregon, even the truckers will be passing you
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

i have a 35$ whisler from wal mart. never has failed me one time. i have zero tickets!
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, but can it detect the new BEE III POP mode? they're using that around here now, sucks big-time
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

I still don't get how people judge by miles per tank. Some people run it to empty, others fill it at about 1/4 tank left (like me) so how do you compare? I'm not sure about the Evo, but the Lancer has a 13 gallon tank, so if you really did get 300 miles per "tank" you'd be getting a **** poor 23 miles per gallon. I'm sure you're getting more than that though, just don't know how much. I for example fill my tank about once every 300 miles, but that's usually 10-11 gallons, because like most people, I don't wait until the car sputters to death to fill it.

But another thing you might want to know is that turbocharged cars tend to get better gas mileage than naturally aspirated ones. So you're absolutely right, an Evo driven softly should get more mileage than a Lancer. I'm assuming you have the same size tank, so you probably get about 30-32 mpg as well, which is just fine for that car.
well, how i figure my mileage is by taking the mileage i get per fill. everytime i fill up my car, i reset my odometer. then, by next fill, i take the mileage down, and divide it by how many gallons i am able to fit into my gas tank.

example: this last tank, i drove 315.7 miles before filling up. when i filled up, which is always overflowing, i was able to put in 12.98 gallons.

315.7 / 12.98 = 24.32 average miles per gallon.

average meaning i drove city and highways/freeways. if i were able to consistently drive 55-60 mph i'd get significant numbers only. i was only able to achieve that on a trip up north where i averaged 29 miles per gallon.

anyhow, i've tried my best to find a spot in final gear that will waste the least amount of gas and i've concluded that for my car, going 55-60 is my sweet spot.

also, i drive like granny and tweety; i shift before 2800. there's no fun in saving on gas.

i was also wondering if anyone has a good setting on their AFC's to help save on gas. i've been playing around, and so far, they really aren't saving much on gas, rather helpoing with a mile or two here and there...
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Dude I hear people say they get 240 270 even 300 on a tankful. I have never even shifting aroung 3500, almost always off boost and the most i have ever gotten is 220 miles to a tank ful. and as low as 180. I'm actually thinking that my car run extremely rich. I can't wait to see if the P2 improves things.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I will get 30mpg all the time with my n/a lancer. I shift at 4000+ most of the time, will even cruise in 4th gear, but very rarely do I get less than 30mpg. Only times it will really get below 30 is long 'spirited' runs through the mountains, and then I'll still probly get 25mpg.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

tward- POP isn't court admissable- the company that makes POP even has that on thier website FAQs. They have to hit you with POP and then switch to their K or Ka band to get a speed history ... which is dumb if they do, because if the cop needs POP to know that you're speeding and should get his radar gun, then he has no business being a speeding-ticket-writing officer.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

lowest possible RPM in the tallest gear you have will yield the best possible MPG. it's that simple.

Quick Reply: Best cruising RPM? Best speed for max MPG?