Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Turbocharging an old Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbocharging an old Lancer

Howdy, I'm fairly new to the forums. I own a 1989 Lancer GLX, 7 years older than me and it is my first vehicle. It is very reliable with no issues so far (apart from brake oil going a way from time to time) It has no power steering, and very rudimentary features. No AC and such. It is equipped with a 1.3L fuel injected 4G13 engine.

It isn't unbelievably slow but on my daily commute to work, I come across a couple of elevated grounds where the car struggles to get 40kph, and I always find myself down shifting into 2nd gear on the motorway to get past those elevations. Not only it isn't ideal, but it isn't safe either dropping below 40kph and in my country, you can get fined for driving too slowly.

I am not much of a car guy, I know, in theory, how a car works and how a turbocharger works but I was wondering if it is worth it investing into a turbocharger to ease this part of the journey. I know turbochargers put strain on internal combustion engines and I was wondering if doing the mod (4-8 psi turbo) would give me any good results compared to what I have now.

TL;DR: I am wondering if the stock internals can handle a low boost turbocharger 4-8psi and if the rewards outweigh the risks/possible problems

Thank you

Regards

Audren