Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Just Bought My Lancer ES Sport FAST Key Issue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Bought My Lancer ES Sport FAST Key Issue

So I bought this 09 Lancer ES sport but it seems that I can't turn on the car with the key and key FOB attached together. Not sure what else I can do to fix this. Any advise would help. Also the Bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel don't seem to work either, don't really want to mess with the electrical side of the car unless it's something that doesn't involve ripping apart the wiring harness.

On another note, I know...so many issues, but not really, It's just a couple of small things. When in Drive and only in Drive the car trembles, the idle does drop a little but not to the point that it stalls though while idle.

Thanks again in advanced.

Last edited by Swarly; Mar 29, 2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: More details
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:32 PM

You mean the FAST key works with the emergency metal key removed from the fob but not with the metal key inserted into the fob, or are you using the metal key in the ignition switch? Have you tried replacing the battery in the fob?

For the Bluetooth buttons, are you sure the vehicle is equipped with the Hands Free System? Bluetooth buttons are attached to all steering wheels, whether or not the vehicle was equipped with HFS. When I bought my 2009 Lancer new, it had the buttons but no HFS so I worked having the dealer add HFS into the purchase.

Good luck!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 01:18 PM

Ok, so:
I to turn on the car, I have to remove the key from the FOB and use the FOB to turn the metal key while it's in the ignition switch or it won't turn the engine. Not sure about the bluetooth thing, didn't know that they came optional even though the steering wheel had the buttons. Thanks for that one.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 06:20 PM

There should be a knob cover over the ignition switch. In normal operation, you just turn that knob with the FAST key fob anywhere inside the vehicle. The FAST key system should still work without the knob, though. Are you able to lock/unlock the doors (by just grabbing the outside door handle/pushing the black button) or open the trunk using the FAST key? Do you get a "Key Missing" message from the instrument display when trying to turn the ignition without the metal key inserted?

I think the most likely suspects are:
1. Dead battery in FAST key (replace with CR2032 coin type battery). Does the red light on the fob come on when you push a button?
2. FAST key broken/not registered to vehicle. Either of these will require a visit to a Mitsubishi dealer.