EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-general-9/)
-   -   mitsubishi engines (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-general/13050-mitsubishi-engines.html)

lanceryellow Jan 29, 2003 10:30 AM

mitsubishi engines

i've used the search option but i keeped finding post about engine swaps and people argueing about stuff so i came to the comclusion it would just be easier to ask....

i'm would like to know if theres any logical way mitsu has to there engine codes and what engines are in what and which ones have interchangeable parts like heads or trannys stuff like that mostly pertaining to the lancer but i'm also i wanna all about mitsu now that i got rid of my honda

evomk8 Jan 29, 2003 10:49 AM

The most relevant engine codes for :mitsu: in the U.S. are:
4G63 (2.0l DOHC I-4) EVO
4G94 (2.0l SOHC I-4) that's your Lancer
4G64 (2.4l SOHC I-4) Galant, Eclipse
Don't know what parts are interchangeable, but these are all derived from the same block.

rhyzin Jan 29, 2003 11:09 AM

so what are in the 3rd gen eclipse gs? is that a montero engine or something?

GPTourer Jan 29, 2003 12:39 PM

Originally posted by evomk8
The most relevant engine codes for :mitsu: in the U.S. are:
4G63 (2.0l DOHC I-4) EVO
4G94 (2.0l SOHC I-4) that's your Lancer
4G64 (2.4l SOHC I-4) Galant, Eclipse
Don't know what parts are interchangeable, but these are all derived from the same block.

Not quite. the '63 and '64 have similar blocks, but the '94 is whole different animal. 3G Eclipses use 4g64's and 6g72's. But, do a search, there is PLENTY of info on this on this forum and it has all been convered dozens of times.

StreetLancer Jan 29, 2003 01:39 PM

Here's the break down. Engine codes from Mitsu made easy!

i.e. our engine:

4 Denotes number of Cylinders
G Short for Generation
9 Denotes Generation Block Number
4 Denotes Variationof Generation Block

For instance, the 4G93 is the same block number as the 4G94, however the '94 is a 2.0L versus a 1.8, and a SOHC rather than a DOHC. Get it?

StreetLancer Jan 29, 2003 01:42 PM

Like the '63 is a turbo variant, the '64 features a bigger bore, to 2.4L to the '63's 2.0. Here's the best way to compare: more things are likely to be similar (internals, header pattern, transmission/crank-spin direction) between block families.

pearlwhiteoz Jan 29, 2003 01:54 PM

anyone got code for hondas engine..wondering whats the B16A,B and B18A,B,C stands for.....ha..this might be OT

StreetLancer Jan 29, 2003 02:01 PM

As far as I've been able to tell, Mitsubishi has the most logical engine numbering system. Nissan's is crazy, and Honda's is barely understandable, to me.

jon_e_blaze Jan 29, 2003 02:10 PM

Originally posted by pearlwhiteoz
anyone got code for hondas engine..wondering whats the B16A,B and B18A,B,C stands for.....ha..this might be OT
not 100%, but i might have a little info. the first letter "b" in this case, i think stands for the block code. the number references the liters, and the final letter (a,b,etc.) refers to the generation of the engine. so b18a would be a "b" block 1.8l 1st generation. hope this helps and correct me if i'm wrong.

rhyzin Jan 29, 2003 02:12 PM

gets a lil OT...

well mitsu is kinda user friendly and general. nissan and toyota have specific engine codes. for example 5e-fe (paseo/tercel) for toyota specifies that it's the 5 is the type, e is the block family, f means dohc, an e means efi or fuel injection. i believe nissan is similar with engine like the sr20de-t. Mitsu doesn't get that specific unfortunately.

Originally posted by StreetLancer
As far as I've been able to tell, Mitsubishi has the most logical engine numbering system. Nissan's is crazy, and Honda's is barely understandable, to me.

rhyzin Jan 29, 2003 02:14 PM

yeah, and there are other revisions like the h22a2

Originally posted by jon_e_blaze

not 100%, but i might have a little info. the first letter "b" in this case, i think stands for the block code. the number references the liters, and the final letter (a,b,etc.) refers to the generation of the engine. so b18a would be a "b" block 1.8l 1st generation. hope this helps and correct me if i'm wrong.

jon_e_blaze Jan 29, 2003 02:18 PM

yeah, honda has some wierd ****, they have made hybrid engines now. like h22/23 and ****. they take the block from one and the head from another or something like that. but :mitsu: codes are fairly simple to understand.

evomk8 Jan 29, 2003 02:37 PM

Originally posted by GPTourer

Not quite. the '63 and '64 have similar blocks, but the '94 is whole different animal. 3G Eclipses use 4g64's and 6g72's. But, do a search, there is PLENTY of info on this on this forum and it has all been convered dozens of times.

OOps. My bad, thank s for correcting me. :spin:

pjal84 Jan 29, 2003 02:52 PM

Honda, Nissan and (sometimes) Mitsubishi in that order have the easiest import engine codes. Toyota is almost indecipherable to me (only know Z as a supercharged, T as turbo). Never seen/heard a Mazda one.

pinoyesv6 Jan 29, 2003 03:00 PM

Here's the break down. Engine codes from Mitsu made easy!

i.e. our engine:

4 Denotes number of Cylinders
G Short for Generation
9 Denotes Generation Block Number
4 Denotes Variationof Generation Block

For instance, the 4G93 is the same block number as the 4G94, however the '94 is a 2.0L versus a 1.8, and a SOHC rather than a DOHC. Get it?

i dunno soemthing doesn't seem right. take for instance the 3000Gt and the galant/eclipse. they both have the 6g72. but then why does the 3kgt have the dohc head and the galant/eclipse the sohc head?

or how about the 7th generation galants. the ES DE and LS all have the 4g64 sohc. but the GS has the 4g64 like the others but with a DOHC head. all of them were 2.4L too

Like the '63 is a turbo variant, the '64 features a bigger bore, to 2.4L to the '63's 2.0. Here's the best way to compare: more things are likely to be similar (internals, header pattern, transmission/crank-spin direction) between block families.
the '63 was also available in a non aspirated version....