EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-general-9/)
-   -   Pic of my custom combo CAI/SRI (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-general/22211-pic-my-custom-combo-cai-sri.html)

J'sLancerLS May 4, 2003 02:00 PM

Pic of my custom combo CAI/SRI

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I did yesterday. The ducting is 3" insulated and I had to remove my radiator overflow tank which will soon be relocated just to the left of the intake manifold against the fire wall. There is a collector/funnel in place of the fake plastic mesh
on the air dam underneath the driver's headlight where the cold air get's rammed in. The OEM elbow has been replaced by a 90 degree 3" to 3"elbow I bought at Home Depot.{thumbup}

psionic98 May 4, 2003 03:02 PM

Thats the same idea I had for my car, cept I was going to turn the battery to the side rather than remove the overflow tank.
Good job though!

Hellacious May 4, 2003 04:07 PM

Nice...reminds me of the GOD cai:lol: {thumbup}

nyclancer May 4, 2003 04:40 PM

looks ghetto

insomniac_evo May 4, 2003 05:02 PM

didn't realise that home depot can be useful for our car

02Lancer May 4, 2003 05:07 PM

why wouldn't you just buy a real CAI ?? its not that much more expensive, i'm sure it would work a lot better and it would definitely look a lot better. how does it stay in place ? duct tape ?

Sir Lancelot May 4, 2003 05:22 PM

Looks like a vacume hose for a washing machine...........does not look custom, but rather like you Mickey-Moused it. {thumbdwn}
Good idea for a CAI. Maybe try to make a heat shield for it that will match the rest of the enigine better! {thumbup}

J'sLancerLS May 4, 2003 05:35 PM

My car is an auto, a "real" CAI won't fit because the tranny is too big, no room for the piping on a CAI. The ducting is the same that NASCAR uses for brake cooling etc., my bosses son races in the Winston West from time to time and the ducting was donated from him along with the collector/funnel. I do plan on making a shield that extends around with a 3" hole for the ducting to come into, similar to the SRI RMR sells with the heat shield that uses the OEM air inlet.{thumbup}

Nero May 4, 2003 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Hellacious
Nice...reminds me of the GOD cai:lol: {thumbup}
<--------same here!

bobaab May 4, 2003 06:47 PM

haha nice dood! one question..what's that small filter on the engine block..is it called a catch filter or something? i cant remember..but what does that do?

J'sLancerLS May 4, 2003 07:50 PM

Actually it's attached to the valve cover and it's just a breather. It takes place of the hose that usually runs from there to the OEM intake elbow. It's there to help to keep a vacuum from building inside the engine.

nasdale May 4, 2003 08:39 PM

Thought that the duct tube looked familar, used to work on a Busch series team. I like it, but if ya do make a box to collect it more it would look better. I'm working on something like that for mine, thanks for more ideas!!!

J'sLancerLS May 4, 2003 08:55 PM

Ya, I like it, it's something I've been wanting to do for a while and finally got my chance on Sat. Thanx for all the compliments and criticism, hope this helped others as well as nasdale, as far as idea's go.

{thumbup}

Boeturbolancer May 5, 2003 12:17 AM

:headbang: Good job J... glad to see you got it done!{thumbup} :apimp:

J'sLancerLS May 11, 2003 11:26 PM

It's kinda funny to me, I did this last week, and some members talked some shiznit, but then someone else does the same thing a week later and all he got was good feedback. Oh well, guess maybe I should quit *****ing about it!:lol:

:shoot: **** talkers, oh wait, then I'd be :shoot: myself too!
:crap: