Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

DVD defeat on '08 Lancer GTS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD defeat on '08 Lancer GTS

I recently purchased a '08 GTS with the sun/sound and nav/tech package. Has anyone heard of a way to defeat the DVD lock out feature that keeps you from veiwing the DVD while driving? Not that i want to watch movies while driving, but for the passengers entertainment.

Last edited by EmanantEvo; Apr 21, 2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: duplicate words
Old Apr 21, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

According to the vid that's floating around on here, the man said during the car "interview" that it came from the factory with the ability to view while driving? Did the DVD viewing patrol get on Mitsu's case about that then?
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:22 PM

I have a Lancer 08 GTS with the Nav package. I have two daughters and would love to figure out how to get the DVDs to play while I drive. They think a 7 inch screen can be distracting...not even close to two little girls complaining about being bored. Please help.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Just take it out and look on the wiring harness for which wire goes to a ground out that is attached to the ECU for park, or the parking brake in a manual trans. Then just put it to ground permanently so you can have playback all the time.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

i believe that you need to ground the wire to the e-brake...i could be wron though and am not sure how to go about doing this.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

For the manual trans the parking brake does not come into play. The lock out takes effect once you start moving.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There may be something about this in your owners manual, the car is so new that very few of us have had our hands on its guts yet.. I wouldn't resort to altering wiring until you know for sure there isn't any "Secret code" or voodoo that you can get from the service manual or owners manual.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

It seems that the lock out is triggered by speed on the manual trans. I was able to view video, while the car was moving itself at idle RPM, from the aux inputs and the internal player. The moment i started to accelerate it would trigger. Even coasting, in or out of gear, at anything over 1-2mph would also trigger it.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Jack,

It's hooked to the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission. If you need the pinout chart, I can supply it for you, but things get a little sexual with the CANBUS.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Would love to see a pin out chart, and where to access the plug.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

yes find the wire on the ecu that goes to the speed sensor or maybe even tps, and take a look at that harness on the radio. you'll figur it out i think soon enough
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

i would just ask the dealership if they know. never heard of a setup like that before!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:20 AM

Yeah that is a new setup to me also. I have another car that I found a cable going to the parking brake and grounded it and I was in business. THis one does not act the same. On my CVT it also waits until I get up to about 5Mph before defeating the video. It does have an option to contuine the audio though...which I thought was cool and scary. That just kind of concretes my fear that it is tied to the brain of the car and not just contact on the parking brake. I would love to get that pinout. I have a friend that said it I can get a wiring diagram and the pinout he would strip a little of the insulation away and ground the cable to see if it works. If it did he could then make a nice clean mod. If I can get that info I will try it in a couple days/ a week and let everyone know.

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

^Ah, yeah...Unfortunately it does sound ecu related. Hope this can be soon found out!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Are you sure it's the speed sensor? My DVD player (aftermarket) had a wire that plugged to my hand brake sensor. I unplugged it and just wire it to ground and now it works at all times.

Quick Reply: DVD defeat on '08 Lancer GTS