Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

2003 lancer oz shuts off while idling/driving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 lancer oz shuts off while idling/driving

my lancer started to randomly cutt itself off while idling, driving, and sometimes have a hard time starting it, these r the parts i have already check hoses,batteyr, alt,spark plug, throttle body, iac valve, tps, etc...theres no check engine light. it drives normally but why does it keep dying on me, sometimes it shuts off n take many tries to start it back up again, i have a ucle tats been a mechanic for over 20 yrs n not even him could figure it out, if anybody found the solution to this issue please let me know i would really appreciate it, did alot of research n found no solution
Old Oct 6, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Its your crank position sensor. I had the same problem, would cut out on me while driving and then would take several cranks of the ignition to restart. I actually drove the car with the faulty crank position sensor to the auto parts store to get the new crank sensor, BIG PITA. Stranded on the side of the road trying to start the car at least 10 times. What took a 20 minute drive turned into an hour and a half. LOL good luck!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 02:34 AM

thanks corndog17, i just got done changing my crank sensor today but no luck, so i was wondering did ur check engine light come on when ur crank sensor was faulty cause mine didn't, im out of ideals since i have no check engine light on n i cant just keep randomly replacing parts that will cost a fortune, car hasn't fire up for 2 days now, first it started with a jerk every now n then..engine starts to shut down...hard to start and now it wont even start...i crank my car so much that now my battery is drain up....aite thanks again
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

did you check to see if your fuel pump is turning on? check to see if it squirts from an injector or from the return line.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:20 PM

i already check the fuel pump by disconnecting a fuel hose n there is fuel coming when i turn the key on, yesterday my coil got so hottt to a point that i couldn't touch it after cranking it n leaving the key on for a few min , after i let it cool i took out my spark plug n coil, crank the car n there wasnt any spark appearing at the tip, check the coil fuse but was good so thinking of changing the coils this weekened n go from there, n its weid cause now my obd2 reader cannot detect my ecu, the ecu mite be wat ill look into after the the coil chnage lol after the tat ill just call it quite,if u have any more advice please do let me kno much thanks
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:38 AM

aite heres an update about my car, i got it to work, i quess one of my front 12v relay for the ignition was bad so i switch it out n it started up n doesnt die on me no more n starts ever time, honestly i didnt know it was bad just change it out of curiosity lol, so i wasted money on the crankshaft sensor n new coil, will i like to thank those that responded n try to help
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know this thread is old, but hoping this will solve the same issue I'm having with my 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart! Will advise after I check the relays...
Old Dec 17, 2016, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by truthdweller
I know this thread is old, but hoping this will solve the same issue I'm having with my 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart! Will advise after I check the relays...
Bad MAP...problem solved
Old Dec 29, 2023, 07:40 AM

E 002oz dieing out

Originally Posted by lt88
my lancer started to randomly cutt itself off while idling, driving, and sometimes have a hard time starting it, these r the parts i have already check hoses,batteyr, alt,spark plug, throttle body, iac valve, tps, etc...theres no check engine light. it drives normally but why does it keep dying on me, sometimes it shuts off n take many tries to start it back up again, i have a ucle tats been a mechanic for over 20 yrs n not even him could figure it out, if anybody found the solution to this issue please let me know i would really appreciate it, did alot of research n found no solution
hi I think you should check the crank shaft position sensor.happened to me on all three of my 2002,2003 lancers.there a bugger to replace but you can do it just take your time plus if your going to have to take off the front covers t o get at it you might as well change the way water pump,timing belt,and frk t main seal..remember 60000 miles change timing belt it's important to do so as the are interference motors.leRned that the hard way just trying t o save you some time and hassel.good manual also helps.good luck.
derklienbus8