Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Aftermarket Tweeters In An 09 ES-Sport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Tweeters In An 09 ES-Sport

Hey guys. After much looking around, i finally decided to join this site to get help for my Lancer since all of you seem to be experienced. I have a ES lancer with an aftermarket Rockford system. 2 10in P2s in the trunk, 3-way door speakers and have yet to be installed 1 inch tweeters. I have the spot on my door for the tweeters where the sun and sound tweeters would be and i plan on installing my tweeters in this place. I have NO idea how to mount or install and i have been waiting over a YEAR to get this done. I don't want to wait anymore and this will complete my system.

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1T-S 1-Inch Tweeter Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1T-S 1-Inch Tweeter Kit: Car Electronics

these are the tweeters i have. I understand i will have to cut a hole in the plastic housing for the tweeters and probably have to splice them into the plug and play cords, but i have NO clue how to mount. Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated. I hope you guys can help me out.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I have a DE so the process should be the same but because of the rockford, it could be different. The DE also didn't have stock tweeters so I'm just assuming what would be there.

First off, the tweeter panels on the door literally pop off. Just pull a little and it will come off. then there should be two or three screws holding in the original tweeter (cant remember because I was doing it on a time limit, long story).

Un screw those and the tweeter should pop out but still be connected to the cables. Disconnect the tweeters and see if your AM tweeters would plug in nicely to the original plug. If they do, great! Plug them in, screw the speaker in and close everything back up.

If not, you're going to have to cut the wires and connect them yourself. Once that is done, screw the speakers in and close everything back up.

For the record, the Bose tweeters that I got didn't fit in the lancer so I got some silicone and only screwed in one screw.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I used alpine 1" tweets and the best way to do it (due to the curvature of the panel) was to 'surface mount' them. I dremeled/filed a round hole and the tweeters had a ring you screw through the backside.

Consider using two-part mix epoxy to just surface mount as well...

Boston Accoustic was just a smaller unit (diamter) and would have mounted much easier...

[shrug] i hope this helps...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you aren't confmortable cutting up your tweeter covers, contact ikt on the board. He can take care of your tweeter covers and make your tweeters look good. I have him taking care of mine for the rockford/fuse install.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:55 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzbangca
If you aren't confmortable cutting up your tweeter covers, contact ikt on the board. He can take care of your tweeter covers and make your tweeters look good. I have him taking care of mine for the rockford/fuse install.

go team!