Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

clutch pedal switch bypass?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch pedal switch bypass?

Hey guys, I have question about the clutch pedal safety switch on my 02 lancer es. How do you bypass it? I know to some it may sound like a dumb question, but I have already unplugged it and tried it with a jumper wire. No good it wouldn't crank. I know there are other mitsu models that are actually a normally closed switch and simply unplugging them does the trick. I tried that. again no good still wouldn't crank. I do not have a no start issue. The switch is wearing out and i'm trying to bypass it for other reasons anyway. So instead of replacing it I want to bypass it. Am I missing something else because this doesn't make sense. Anybody successfully do it already? Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2017, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
make sure you got the right switch unplugged...
Get under the car and right above the clutch pedal you should see the mechanism like a plunger type style rod and disconnect it from there... Im assuming this is the same in a lancer as the Evo..

Old Aug 26, 2017, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Just gotta make the 2 wires touch. Jumper or cut and solder.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 01:17 PM

I know i have the right switch. it does look exactly the same on the evo and the lancer just like in the pic. I have already jumped the two wires together. It didn't work which is what i don't understand. it looks like a simple momentary switch with two wires. when i have more time I have to get under there with my test light and confirm power in and power out. I have jumped alot of different cars in the past. this is the first time this happened. I just wanted to see if this has happened to anybody else on these cars.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by shifty24
I know i have the right switch. it does look exactly the same on the evo and the lancer just like in the pic. I have already jumped the two wires together. It didn't work which is what i don't understand. it looks like a simple momentary switch with two wires. when i have more time I have to get under there with my test light and confirm power in and power out. I have jumped alot of different cars in the past. this is the first time this happened. I just wanted to see if this has happened to anybody else on these cars.

do not splice the wires together it’s a reverse ground switch and when you press the clutch it removes the ground sending power to the starter