Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

O3 OZ Rally - Affordable OEM Rear Quarter Panels or Rust Free Used?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
O3 OZ Rally - Affordable OEM Rear Quarter Panels or Rust Free Used?

Anyone know a source for affordable OEM rear quarter panels for the 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally? It's a long shot but I know lancer guys in the forums in the past have worked out special discounts, have good relationships with dealer parts departments etc.

Rust has finally taken its toll on the driver's side quarter panel and the wheel arch is basically gone on my 03 OZ. I had some rust up higher about 5 years ago around the gas fill that I dealt with so I know there's likely rust up higher . . . otherwise I'd cut out the bad and patch. At this point I'm probably better replacing most/all the quarter panel.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any aftermarket sources for rear quarters. I guess that makes sense. Not something most DIY'ers mess with. On top of that due to vehicle age, most insurance companies are going to total out these cars if they need rear quarter panel replacement work anyway. Don't see any patch panels either. Looks like OEM or rust free used are my only options.

The closest dealer is about an hour away. They can get me one for around $280. So far that seems to be my best bet. I've tried pretty much all the old favorite online OEM vendors. Many won't ship sheetmetal at all, want hundreds to ship a quarter panel or are simply too overpriced to make sense. I can't see spending $450 to $500 for some sheet metal on an almost 15 year old daily driver. The $280 would be bad enough.

I've checked local salvage yards but anything in this area is basically beat to death or rusted too. I'm in the midwest (MI/OH/INDIANA Area) So finding a rust free donor car is going to be difficult.

Anyone have access to better OEM pricing? Happen to know someone parting out an 0Z with a clean driver's quarter panel? Hoping someone can help come up with a minor miracle.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thy never made any rear quarter panels for our cars lol that rear section is tied into the driver and/or pass sideupto front windshield. its all one piece and doesn't com apart. that's why you don't see any lines from rear end to front.. best bet is to goto a metal shop and have them weld in a new piece lol
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
thy never made any rear quarter panels for our cars lol that rear section is tied into the driver and/or pass sideupto front windshield. its all one piece and doesn't com apart. that's why you don't see any lines from rear end to front.. best bet is to goto a metal shop and have them weld in a new piece lol
Thanks but I'm afraid you're incorrect. Mitsubishi definitely made repair/replacement quarter panels. The left rear outer quarter panel part number is MR981637 for the '03 OZ Rally I believe. Which is why I was inquiring if someone had connections to access better pricing etc. Worst case scenario a parts car with a rust free quarter.

You're correct that you don't see any seams from the quarter panel to the front windshield. You're right. It is all tied together in one piece. The quarter panel is part of the unibody/structure of the rear of the car. However, I'm not confused here. I'm fully aware this isn't a bolt on piece.

You order a replacement outer quarter panel and cut the old damaged quarter panel off. LOL Then you fit and weld or adhesive bond and weld the new replacement one on. After that you fill, prime and paint. It's a lot of work but at a certain point it's faster and easier than trying to patch up a bunch of damage and reshape a bunch of complex curves and body lines with filler etc. In many situations replacing the entire quarter panel is the right way to repair collision damage or more extensive rust.

The OEM replacement quarter panels don't include the long roof section. The replacement panels are cut off near the C pillar and rear window and down at the rocker panel. They include the area around the taillight as well. They're basically the entire rear corner 1/4 of the car. . . hence the name "quarter panel".

You CAN cut out minor rust and weld in patch panels and use filler to blend the area and shape body lines back in. That's a less permanent and less safe solution. Honestly at a certain point welding on a new quarter panel is easier and less body work in the end when done properly. That's the whole reason replacement quarter panel sections ARE made.

If replacement quarter panels weren't available pretty much every time a modern unibody car is rear ended they'd be totaled out by insurance. Without them repairs probably wouldn't be as safe. Plus there's NO WAY insurance companies would be routinely paying body shops for the labor involved with custom fabricating quarter panels by hand on every damaged rear end. The replacement panels can make everything easier . . . now if I could just find one that doesn't break the bank!

Last edited by JB2003OZ; Oct 4, 2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if u have frame damage, its not worth fixing....... trust me mine was right on the seam in this image...my insur screwed me on my car... I just beat mine into place with a hammer, bonded it, sanded and had mine painted end of story....

you can weld in a patch in place bondo, prime and paint.. cost less...
Old Oct 5, 2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
if u have frame damage, its not worth fixing....... trust me mine was right on the seam in this image...my insur screwed me on my car... I just beat mine into place with a hammer, bonded it, sanded and had mine painted end of story....

you can weld in a patch in place bondo, prime and paint.. cost less...
Nothing's bent etc. I didn't get hit. Just rust. Basically the wheel arch above the driver's side rear wheel rusted out. 13 Winters on MI/OH/IA roads eventually takes its toll no matter how hard you try. Really common on these cars in this area.

Patching is my last option but I am considering it as a last resort. A new or clean donor quarter really is the right way to do this . . . even if I patch instead of replacing the entire panel.

I'd love a reasonably priced OEM quarter panel or a clean used quarter panel to make the process easier.

Cheapest I've found a new OEM quarter panel online is around $240. About all I'm looking to spend but unfortunately 90% of the places won't ship. The 10% that do ship insist the quarter must be shipped via freight shipping. The shipping costs for that are anywhere from $110 to $400 dollars.

Of course the mistu dealers within 100 miles where I could just pick up locally want $350 to $400 for the part.