EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-how-requests-questions-tips-205/)
-   -   Stereo Kit Update (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-how-requests-questions-tips/317235-stereo-kit-update.html)

bigd31388 Jan 7, 2008 11:49 AM

Stereo Kit Update

Hey everyone,

I have been anxious for the new kit as well as all of you so I took it upon myself to do a little research.

I call both Metra and Scosche:

Metra:

They said there will be a show coming up very soon this month I believe called "SES"? They are planning on releasing many new things for new cars. They said there ETA on the release of there kit will be in approximately 2-3 months. The tech I spoke to said everything works on supply and demand. They said there is a high demand for our deck kit so he said they are working very hard to get it done and out to us so we can have them.

Scosche:

I spoke to a tech here and he said that our cars are extremely different from other cars as ours are more complex. He said they are in R&D right now and will soon be in the tooling phase. He said that they estimate to release there kit in 5-6 months.

I hope this has helped a few of you as I wish they could just be released already because hooking up amps, subs, and speakers to our stocks just sound completely horrible.

Xeroxed Jan 7, 2008 11:55 AM

Thanks for the info, but it sucks to hear it is so far away. I just want an aftermarket system already...damn...

bras_33 Jan 7, 2008 12:16 PM

The show is called CES-Consumer Electronics Show

Scosche has a told the person who brought there 08 Lancer in mid-february

SeRious08 Jan 7, 2008 12:41 PM

Thats funny, my Metra insider told me Feb. And I would believe my insider over your conversation with a tech.

bigd31388 Jan 7, 2008 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SeRious08 (Post 5128335)
Thats funny, my Metra insider told me Feb. And I would believe my insider over your conversation with a tech.

Hey you don't have to come after me. Thats great I hope it comes out that early. But thats what I was told. But I don't make things up. :-)

mines hotter Jan 7, 2008 02:09 PM

i hope they release a steering wheel control adapter and a bluetooth adapter

Drifting Away Jan 7, 2008 03:49 PM

supply and demand my a**, weve been demanding the supply since the car came out...

08Lancer89 Jan 7, 2008 04:39 PM

I have my subs hooked up to my stock head unit no problems sounds great!

kinkbmxrydr Jan 7, 2008 06:17 PM

hahah i R&D for scosche like in Nov.

bigd31388 Jan 7, 2008 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89 (Post 5129193)
I have my subs hooked up to my stock head unit no problems sounds great!

If you have subs hooked up to your stock head unit and like it then you don't really care about quality. A stock head unit will not compare to an after market as far as quality is concerned. There are alternatives such as the clean sweep which costs about three hundred dollars. It your preference but I know what I like and I think other people will agree with me.

Xeroxed Jan 8, 2008 01:05 AM

Actually, with subs, the quality of sound is barely noticeable to most people. What really matters are the mids and highs, not the bass. Those are what get the most benefit from an aftermarket system.

bigd31388 Jan 8, 2008 11:07 AM

yes the highs matter but the subs are flat. They dont hit smooth...

empire4vr Jan 8, 2008 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by mines hotter (Post 5128677)
i hope they release a steering wheel control adapter and a bluetooth adapter

+1 Million{thumbup}

empire4vr Jan 8, 2008 11:31 AM

If you can't wait, and have loads of extra cash to spend, you could always buy the double DIN kit from Mitsubishiparts.com ($350) and then get a double DIN head unit. I did that with a Pioneer AVIC-D3 and it works great! I just wish it didn't sit so far back into the opening. Maybe I will fix that one of these days.

bigd31388 Jan 8, 2008 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by empire4vr (Post 5132105)
If you can't wait, and have loads of extra cash to spend, you could always buy the double DIN kit from Mitsubishiparts.com ($350) and then get a double DIN head unit. I did that with a Pioneer AVIC-D3 and it works great! I just wish it didn't sit so far back into the opening. Maybe I will fix that one of these days.

350 bucks for a deck kit. No thank you

empire4vr Jan 8, 2008 06:28 PM

It only costs so much because it is Mitsu factory quality. And it's not like most crappy dash kits... it's that full piece with the vents and everything, plus all of the wiring needed to install the deck. I wanted it to look as close to factory as I could, and I knew a Metra or Scosche kit would probably look as bad as every other one I have bought from them, but I could be wrong.

08Lancer89 Jan 9, 2008 12:45 PM

I can get that part at cost if I wanted too.

bigd31388 Jan 10, 2008 12:18 PM

How much is at cost?

08Lancer89 Jan 10, 2008 01:01 PM

think like 180ish

tranceguy420 Jan 15, 2008 09:05 PM

I got this same problem, only my dealer wants 282. None of my local stereo shops wanna touch it. My avic D3 is just collecting dust. But when my stereo shop calls me with a kit, ill post it.
I cant pay 282 for a piece of plastic with a couple vents. I would pay 180 so the vents look the same. I would B*tch about it though.

katafuji Jan 22, 2008 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by empire4vr (Post 5133951)
It only costs so much because it is Mitsu factory quality. And it's not like most crappy dash kits... it's that full piece with the vents and everything, plus all of the wiring needed to install the deck. I wanted it to look as close to factory as I could, and I knew a Metra or Scosche kit would probably look as bad as every other one I have bought from them, but I could be wrong.

what exactly comes in this kit?

empire4vr Jan 22, 2008 06:26 PM

Just like my description you quoted says. The double din dash piece and all of the wiring needed to install a deck. The only piece I needed to make was the face plate to cover the gap around the deck. If you go to mitsubishiparts.com and look it up you'll see all of the parts it comes with.

yitzac1990 Feb 17, 2008 04:39 PM

So according to Metra's website, the kit has been released! I will be calling them tomorrow for availability and pricing. I went to Best Buy and Circuit City near me and neither of them could get the kit, even special order it because its so new. I'll see what Metra Corp. has to say!:D

yitzac1990 Feb 18, 2008 05:19 PM

So about my previous post:

I called Metra and they said they are back ordered on the actual physical product for about a week with 200 kits. I called them and possibly there's a shop near you that can already pre-order them at, and thats what i did....the kit is $40.50 and the harness is $20, very cheap for a big kit like this!!!

good luck all!:updown:

dsrttigr Feb 18, 2008 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by yitzac1990 (Post 5300247)

I called Metra and they said they are back ordered on the actual physical product for about a week with 200 kits. I called them and possibly there's a shop near you that can already pre-order them at, and thats what i did....the kit is $40.50 and the harness is $20, very cheap for a big kit like this!!!

thanks for the update. now i just need to order it, send it to get dipped in woodgrain, then pick a tv and a ps3 to match. :D

SeRious08 Feb 18, 2008 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by yitzac1990 (Post 5300247)

I have already pre-ordered 5 kits for my shop. My cost is no where near that. :lol:

The wire harness only cost me $4{thumbup}

tranceguy420 Feb 22, 2008 10:12 AM

I updated in the audio section as well, but installer.com says they have them, and ill have mine in a week. Bought it today. 33.95 for the kit i think, and 7.95 for the harness + 7.50 shipping. We will see if they deliver as promised and i will repost.

yitzac1990 Feb 23, 2008 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by SeRious08 (Post 5300480)
The wire harness only cost me $4{thumbup}

Well unfortunately, I don't own a shop haha

but nonetheless, 60 bucks and tax is a helluva good price for a kit and harness for me, the consumer.

Also, i dont know if this question can be posted here, but what do you guys think of the Pioneer DEH-P7900BT or DEH-P790BT for a HU?

08Lancer89 Feb 24, 2008 06:54 AM

I thinks its a good head unit, its all what u want in your ride.. I went to my shop the other day and they could not order it yet siad maybe in a month or two. Also siad that when I replace the head unit I should replace all my door speakers with better ones in this Case Kicker, Since I know the guy and get them at cost.

Lancer_GTS Feb 24, 2008 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89 (Post 5324853)
I thinks its a good head unit, its all what u want in your ride.. I went to my shop the other day and they could not order it yet siad maybe in a month or two. Also siad that when I replace the head unit I should replace all my door speakers with better ones in this Case Kicker, Since I know the guy and get them at cost.

And in my case, I've replaced all the speakers already and installed a 5 channel amp, just waiting on a new HU. {thumbup}

08Lancer89 Feb 24, 2008 09:11 AM

cool, I am saving up for a compete overhall, I already have subs and a 900 watt amp... So Next is door Speakers and Exhaust! I need to find a job first lol....

kidneythief13 Feb 25, 2008 04:57 PM

Once you guys get your dash kits, could you post on whether the color match is exact, between the dash & the kit. That is very important to me & would be very helpful if you could. Thanks in advance.

tranceguy420 Mar 3, 2008 11:07 AM

Got my dam dash kit!!! I plan to install this tonite. So far looks like it will match pretty good. Maybe a hair darker. Unfortunately for us avic d3, etc. owners, looks like the HU will be tilted back a little.

I will post pics tonite or tomorrow morning if i am able to get to it. Installer.com delivered, but make sure you allow 7-10 buisiness days for delivery.

tranceguy420 Mar 3, 2008 06:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
GOt it in. Here are some pics. It fit almost good. It sticks out at the bottom a bit. The vents fit good. Match is almost perfect, and install i would rate at about a 3 for difficulty from 1-10, 10 being the hardest.
For the avic d3 owners and HU's alike, it kinda sucks because the HU tilts back. A flip out would do better for this ride/kit. Maybe one day schoshe or something will come out with one that doesnt.
The hardest part about this was routing the sirius antenna wire around the window, and through the plastic piece next to the passenger door. Not to bad though. I took a bunch more pics, but could only upload 5.
Hope this helps someone.

kidneythief13 Mar 3, 2008 06:58 PM

Nice, it looks quality to me. Much better than the stock stereo, huh

buffaluphagus Mar 4, 2008 01:05 AM

It looks like there is a slight gap at the bottom, is it the same on the other side? Did you have the fosgate system? If so, how was the wiring done?

Thanks

tranceguy420 Mar 4, 2008 07:34 AM

Yea, it sticks out a small bit on both sides on the bottom, and not because of space for the wires. It has more space behind the radio than any other car ive seen.
I had the plain jane stereo, not fosgate.
THe kit is still settling in the dash, meaning every now and then when i hit a bump, it creaks a little, but im sure it will settle. Fit was nice except for that small gap at the bottom. Im going to try to fix it later. I think the bottom snap in pegs are a little higher than the holes they go in.

The wiring should be about the same. The harness i used was a 99-7011, and no antenna adapter was needed. The basic harness has your power, ground, illum., dimmer, amp cut on, yellow memory wire, and your 8 speaker wires. Simple as it gets. The fosgate system may or may not have the speaker wires there leading to the factory amp. It takes about 4 minutes to pull the radio, and the post in the how to section shows exactly how to remove the stock radio. If you have the fosgate system, i would pull it just to see. There is two harnesses connected to the radio, but one is for the steering wheel controls. I didnt use this because of no interface yet. There should be about 12 or so wires in the bigger of the two harnesses for that metra 99-7011 to work.
I have a bunch more pics if anyone wants me to email them, and yea it beats the hell out of the stock stereo.
The speakers in the doors sound much clearer, and much louder of course.

tranceguy420 Mar 4, 2008 07:36 AM

Im sorry, the harness number is 70-7005 , the other number is the kit.

cbenite1 Mar 5, 2008 06:50 AM

okay so its to late now because i already ordered it, i just cant wait anymore.. but how were you thinking about fixing the gaps around the kit?? mine should be coming next week. all together it cost me about $56.. im not complaining

tranceguy420 Mar 5, 2008 07:07 AM

I paid like $53 with shipping, im not complaining either. Its worth every penny to me. I missed my nav and dvd. I just gotta find time to install my two amps and subs.

The_Third Mar 5, 2008 11:12 AM

Damn I shoulda taken mine outta the stang had I known. Oh well, I'll prolly go with this HU again though, I love it! No interference with the stock system? The stangs used to pop sometimes when you turned it on.

cbenite1 Mar 5, 2008 11:43 AM

yup, i got my amp and two 12''s going in the second it comes. I want to get a power cap cuz people have been saying their lights dim and since I know I'm not getting a new alternator I hope the cap does the job

08Lancer89 Mar 5, 2008 11:44 AM

looks good! how much was that head unit!

tranceguy420 Mar 5, 2008 12:56 PM

Its like 699 at woofersetc.com, or onlinecarstereo.com.

I even think Best buy has it for the low.

No interference with the stock system at all. Nothing but better, louder, clearer sound.

I wouldnt waste my dough on one cap man, i would by a yellow top optima battery instead. Its about twice as much, but will do you better than two caps.

cbenite1 Mar 5, 2008 01:02 PM

dam.. that much of a difference??

tranceguy420 Mar 5, 2008 01:43 PM

On 2 - 1200 watt amps, rms at 1 ohm each, i put 3 1farad caps. absolutely no difference. I put 1 yellow top optima battery, and got 20-25 seconds before my voltage dropped from 14.8 to below 13. Your amps put out optimum power at 14.4 volts. So, from my experience, definately.
I also used to be part of a sound competition car club, and some of the other guys had them. We added optima batteries to all of them, then we noticed the difference. I personally think enough of them will do good, but dont think they are as good as a high quality deep cell battery. Like the kind used for trolling motors,RVs, and golf carts. Optima makes a good one for your car.

ghostlancer Mar 5, 2008 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sold

tranceguy420 Mar 6, 2008 06:30 AM

Update.... upon giving more thought to why the dash kit didnt seem to be seating properly, i got the bright idea to check the back of the other dash piece for snap clips. There they were. All of them were attached to the back of the factory dash panel. I feel so stupid for not thinking of this before. However, it doesnt say anything about those in the metra instructions so this post was to let everyone else who might not think to check, know about those clips.
It sits much better now, though still sticks out just a hair at the bottom.

cbenite1 Mar 7, 2008 11:48 AM

jus a hair is fine by me... the volume only goin up to 45 is pissin me off.. i need to switch it, i tracked my kit is about an hour away if its not here tomorrow im going to drive over and get it...

im not puttin in a dvd or double din but its going to be switch... and fast

cbenite1 Mar 11, 2008 07:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
heres a single DIN... not to bad if i do say so myself. sounds great.. the only problem is the cover for the trunk behind the back seats rattles and hits the window like others have... temporary fix, my jacket..

tranceguy420 Mar 12, 2008 07:22 AM

Looks nice man, whered you get that trim piece for under neath. I think that looks better than my silver one.

Also does your sort of creak alot when you hit bumps?

tranceguy420 Mar 12, 2008 07:23 AM

I got a lot of weight on mine though with the d3 .

08Lancer89 Mar 12, 2008 07:58 AM

I had an optima batt, and it was dead off the self, then the next one I got made my car act wierd so I took it back, I will get a better batt later on, My car works good, it had a degi readout and its always around 14.3

08Lancer89 Mar 12, 2008 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by cbenite1 (Post 5396612)
heres a single DIN... not to bad if i do say so myself. sounds great.. the only problem is the cover for the trunk behind the back seats rattles and hits the window like others have... temporary fix, my jacket..

for a fix to that problem, I went to a local arts and crafts store and picked up some foam stuffing and ramed it under the pastic try problem fixed. {thumbup}

cbenite1 Mar 12, 2008 08:24 AM

yea it might be the wieght cuz my HU doesnt make any sound... the trim is off of the DE's i like it... i dont have the flashy stuff so i could drop the price on the car.. besides i figure i'ma switch it all out anyways. i dont have the color keyed handles and mirrors, my cars black it wouldnt matter anyways! i did get an A/C tho.. no way in hell ima sit in traffic with no A/C

i got some 17's that i'm about to paint.. just replaced the stereo with 2 12''s. i have an exhaust.. got some adjustable coilovers going on.. and short ram intake. using a how to off of here im going to smoke my lights this weekend
just waitin on my insurance money to put it all in

thanx for the tip on the foam... i was jus going to shove cardboard or something in between them

dunstop Mar 16, 2008 07:35 PM

Hi, I've purchased a DVD HeadUnit and the Metra Panel. But my audio installer seems to have trouble wiring the DVD HeadUnit back to my stock Rockford Fosgate amplifier.

Has any brothers/sisters who's driving a GTS managed to change to an aftermarket HU and wired it back to the factory 650watts amp? Please help....

Thanks in advance...

dunstop Mar 20, 2008 02:06 AM

Maybe just let you know my problem. I've purchased a JVC HeadUnit - AVX805. The installer says that he has problems wiring up the headunit to the amplifier. So wat he did in the meantime is that now he wire the 4 speakers direct to the HeadUnit...bypassing the amplifier. It means that he has actually found the individual 4 speaker wires out from the stock headunit.
I suspect that I'll just need to wire the 4 speaker wires to the JVC Headunit...but he say cannot work coz need other wiring. So I'm not sure also.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cbenite1 Mar 21, 2008 12:19 PM

the only thing i need is a smaller light wieght box.. id make one but i dont know what the size and all that would have to be so that the subs sound the way theyre supposed to and the air flow is on point

tranceguy420 Mar 23, 2008 07:43 PM

Go sealed in the trunk IMO. Tend to have tighter bass in trunks. As far as the space, go on the man. website and look up box dimensions for your particular sub.

cbenite1 Mar 24, 2008 06:30 AM

go to the website for the brand of my subs company?? or is there some other website that has it?

tranceguy420 Mar 24, 2008 12:55 PM

yea the sub company. If you look under downloads or manuals or something like that, you will find the recommended box deminsions. I havent seen a company yet that doesnt so it should be easy to get even if you have to call them.

cbenite1 Mar 24, 2008 01:08 PM

nice... thanx man i didnt know theyd have that info readily available for you like that

DrillSgtEVO Mar 24, 2008 05:16 PM

And you said you didn't have the Fosgate system? I have that system and I just bought my D3 from my friend at Best Buy who got me a good employee discount and wondered if anyone has hooked up the D3 and if the harness will be any different

tranceguy420 Mar 25, 2008 03:03 PM

No fosgate here, but apparently there is a difference. I posted it somewhere the model of the harness that works on the one without.

08Lancer89 Apr 12, 2008 12:18 PM

if you put an aftermarket Headunit in a gts that has the bluetooth hands free calling will it work wit hteh aftermarket one?"

kalpakiotis Apr 12, 2008 12:38 PM

If your talking about getting the microphone getting hooked up with ur head unit, there is another thread on here that says which harness those wires are on. Not sure about the buttons though. I would presume that depends on how ur head unit works with the blue tooth.

yitzac1990 Apr 20, 2008 03:41 PM

Just put my head unit in a couple days ago. THought you guys would like to see it and all. BTW, pics were taken with a cell phone, so quality isnt tooooo great.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8...iofrontew1.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8...diosidebd5.jpg

and just for the fun of it, a night picture.....
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2771/lightsonsw3.jpg

SmoothdrJay Apr 20, 2008 03:47 PM

Is the metra piece the same color as the original? Same as the rest of the dash?

fuz_dnz Apr 20, 2008 03:48 PM

Did you lose steering wheel controls? How about the bluetooth? Did u use the Metra kit w/ the harness? sorry for all the questions

08Lancer89 Apr 20, 2008 05:51 PM

I have the same ? ^^^^

yitzac1990 Apr 21, 2008 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by fuz_dnz (Post 5566450)
Did you lose steering wheel controls? How about the bluetooth? Did u use the Metra kit w/ the harness? sorry for all the questions

Yes I lost steering wheel controls, but I will eventually get the interface module to get them back. About the Bluetooth, I lost it, but the radio I bought (DEH-7900BT) has Bluetooth built in, so I lost it but then re-gained it :updown: And I used all Metra, the kit and harness.

Also, one VERY important thing I noticed, the harness has no amplifier turn on wire, so I assume that the non-RF system (I don't have S&S) has NO stock amplifier in it. Just something to keep in mind.