EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-how-requests-questions-tips-205/)
-   -   window tint scratch protection (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-how-requests-questions-tips/357529-window-tint-scratch-protection.html)

iel322 Jul 14, 2008 04:06 PM

window tint scratch protection

hey everyone,

I just got my windows tinted and yes i read all the horror stories about the scratches and i certainly read about the prevention methods (tintprotection.com) but the person who installed my tints had another suggestion for me. He said that I could try and find a weather strip from a previous lancer and to switch it with the current weather strip on the 2008. Because we all know about the problems people have been having with the new model lancers and window tint. I just want to hear your opinions on this or see if anyone has already done this

eyekyu Jul 14, 2008 07:11 PM

thats what my guy said, he said there is a site that sells them $24.95, ill call him tomorrow to get the site

iel322 Jul 16, 2008 05:00 PM

please let me know of that site when you get it

iel322 Jul 16, 2008 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by eyekyu (Post 5888276)
thats what my guy said, he said there is a site that sells them $24.95, ill call him tomorrow to get the site

did he tell you a certain year?

YeOldeLancer Jul 18, 2008 02:56 PM

there's nothing fancy about the felt they use. It's just the soft half of a velcro that they stick on. the place that I took it to showed it to me in their parts ordering book. You can get it at any hardware store. Just get the larger 2" piece so it doesn't peel off when it gets hot. it'll probably be eaiser and cheaper to do it this way as opposed to buying weatherstrip, then possibly finding out that it won't fit.

eyekyu Jul 20, 2008 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by iel322 (Post 5896783)
did he tell you a certain year?

naw, it looks like he was talking bout TintProtector

im starting to notice scratches on my windows already and i dont even have tint

YeOldeLancer Jul 20, 2008 08:12 PM

another thought....do you think cutting off the part the rubs up against the window will help? I think it's the section that's actually inside the door (not the fleixble rubber on the window sill that you can see)

I'm taking my car in because oddly enough, after I made the post above, I noticed there were hugeazz scratches on the window. The sticky felt doesn't like 85% humidity and 90 degree weather.

iel322 Jul 21, 2008 05:46 PM

i just ordered new moldings, ill let you all know how it turns out

iel322 Jul 31, 2008 06:21 PM

well i bought the window moldings for a lancer from 2002-2006...they didnt fit...i went to my dealer and looked at the weatherstripping for a mitsu galant...they look like that may work and they have the felt on the inside...has anyone else had any luck? i think i might just go with the tintprotector and call it quits

hadeswolf Aug 2, 2008 12:18 PM

How bad does it scratch the tints? Anyone post some pictures of the scratches?

iel322 Aug 2, 2008 01:48 PM

i dont have any scratches yet....prob because i dont use my windows very much...