Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: EvoX Style Side Fenders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: EvoX Style Side Fenders

Hey guys,

Recently got the ARS EvoX Style Side Fenders and put them onto my car. So here is my review:

Pros: It is cheap, so if you wanted to change the look of your car, this is a nice starting addition to make.

Cons: It is crudely made and there are a lot of things you need to do so it can look nice when it is applied on your car.

What I did: I went to the hardware store and got a metal file, black paint, heavy duty double sided mounting tape and a cheap $2 black 3 ring binder (for the plastic only).

1. filed down the fenders for extra glue and metal that were poking out or else it would really show when you place it on the car. Its going to be a lot of filing you will have to do. You also have to be careful as if you file the glue too much, it could come off the fender (which was the case in some areas).

2. spray paint the fenders. I did mine glossy black. 1 coat would have been fine, but I did 3 on 1 and like 7 on the other because I kept messing up.

3. cut the binder so I had 2 sheets of black plastic. You might have to wash the plastic if there are paper sticking on them.

4. got some super glue and glued the plastic (cut to the shape the see through areas). Try to leave some exposed fender so your double sided tape can hold the plastic as well, just in case.

5. place the double sided tape on. I left the plastic to cover half the side of the tape still on as I planned on spray painting that as well.

6. sprayed the back of the fenders with the tape. I did this to cover up the middle of the mounting tape as it was white and very noticeable.

7. wiped the area with alcohol and used a blow dryer to heat the tape before putting it on. Once the fenders are on, hold it there for a few mins for the tape to cool down.

8. this is where I didn't like the fenders. The bottom of it was slightly curved, so it kept exposing a crack of white tape. To fix this I used Plasti-Dip and sprayed inside of the fenders so you can't notice the white. I used Plasti-dip because it is not permanent.

Final Thought: It is cheap in price and kinda cheap in the quality, but if you are on a budget and want to do some work yourself, then it is a great product. It can really make your car pop after you put it on.

End result:

Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I just recieved these as well and will be putting them on soon.
My ride is Black, so I probably won't have as many issues with covering up the body colour, but it's still good to know what to expect and how to prep these things.
Couldn't agree more on how they feel cheap (super thin plastic) but looks sweet on your WW!
Good job!