Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Evo 8 front conversion swap

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
How to: Evo 8 front conversion swap

I finally finished the conversion on my 02 lancer es to an evo 8 swap, and I am happy with the results just need to fix up a few things and the car will be officially done

here is my list of stuff I bought to get the car ready for driving as well as body work

hood - 125 evo dynamics
hood latch - $38.00 BOUGHT here
radiator - $57.98 here
radiator support - 900.00
ac condenser - 114.00
Hood vent - 55.00
fenders - $257.00
Front Bumper - $330.00
headlights - $375.00

First you need to get an evo 8 core support, this is a direct swap to the lancer but you MUST USE THE EVO 8 BODY DIMENSIONS PROVIDED BELOW!!! Or give your local body shop a evo 8 vin number so they can have something to work off with.

If you use the OEM lancer dimensions it will not work right and it will be a disaster plus cost!!!

Name:  IMAG0085.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0082.jpg
Size:  93.9 KB

next I attached the hood from an evo 8 and it was a direct swap!!! And it looks so much better. The hood attaches with 4 bolts 2 on each side. Loosen those and swap on your evo 8/9 hood

Name:  IMAG0084.jpg
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0083.jpg
Size:  95.5 KB

next I did the fenders, If I were you I would use OEM evo fenders because the ones I got are not working so well and Im getting frustrated. But these are a direct bolt on and is easy as pie. Just attaches with a few bolts.

Name:  IMAG0086.jpg
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0088.jpg
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0089.jpg
Size:  70.9 KB

After that I attached the headlights and these were a direct swap with the radiator support. The only issue I ran into was the ending bracket near the fenders didnt have a screw hole for the bolt to attach the head light to, so im wondering if I got an evo 9 support by mistake due to holes. Just remember what I said above.

The wiring will come next after I get some plugs for it, im taking to an evo shop down the street from to get these looked at so I can drive at night.

Name:  IMAG0090.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0091.jpg
Size:  75.6 KB

After that the last thing I needed to attach was the front bumper, this was held on by 2, 10 mm bolts im not sure why I thought it was four but either way it held up just fine. This is also a direct swap with everything else and it fits snug with with the frame, thin only thing you can tell is the fenders will be a tad wider and your wheels will be tucked under just get some wheel spacers and some wider tires and it will look just fine.

Name:  IMAG0092.jpg
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0093.jpg
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0094.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB

KEY notes

you do not need the subframe, control arms and end links for the lancer, the wheels are not that far in the back as you can see in the picture. I plan on running 17 inch rims with this setup and no bigger, wheel spacers will also help bring out the wheels a bit.

if you have any questions just pm me

Thanks for looking

LOOK BELOW

the files are too big if you are wanting to do this I can email you the body dimensions until I figure out how to post up a link

just pm me thanks
Old May 14, 2011, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the headlight wires are like my lancer depo headlights there should be 3 wires for the headlights and the fogs. Black is obviously ground, yellow is high beams and white is regular. I have a picture I can show you how mine is connected. And also, evo with lancer wheels. Lol I know your not an evo but that's what ppl who don't know anybetter will think. Im watchin you steven. This is pretty decent looking. Im not a fan of the fenders as I like the oem evo ones better. Keep up the good work.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yea in the meantime, all you guys drivin evos that have something bad to say about this please stay out. He plans on buying an evo later (hopefully next year). Please keep it positive and no bashing please.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks bro these are the only fenders I could find that are silver I would prefer one color than oem evo fenders that are a different color
Old May 14, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

For future purposes for others. The radiator the radiator support and the ac condensor are not needed for this conversion. That was just what you needed because of the accident. Correct?
Old May 14, 2011, 08:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steven121
KEY notes

you do not need the subframe, control arms and end links for the lancer, the wheels are not that far in the back as you can see in the picture. I plan on running 17 inch rims with this setup and no bigger, wheel spacers will also help bring out the wheels a bit.
Lets not spread bad information now...

Quote from Henrys Ralliart "ok, they dont quite fit so well. everything bolted up fine until we went to put the wheel on and realized the wheel had moved forward about 6 inches. It had about 1/8" between it and the fenderwell. If I drove like this first bump I hit would rip off the inner wall lining. Here are some pics."

The While the evo LCA's may increase overall track width more importantly they increase the wheelbase of the car. They center the wheels inside the evo fenders/bumper.

Not sure how yours is going to turn out, those fenders fit like poop so somehow you might get away with it.

To run evo lca's you need the evo subframe since the dounut bushing in the evo lcas wont fit in the lancer subframe.
Then you need evo sway bar, and evo endlinks and evo steering rack.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:19 AM
Account Disabled

an example of what I am talking about.. here you can see the wheel is not centered in the wheelwell.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:36 AM
Account Disabled

This is by far the best example of what I'm talking about.

Old May 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
Account Disabled

you also need the evo fender arms

Good

Not going to work
Old May 14, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Old May 14, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Turbo time this info would have helped before I attempted the swap, I'm just shocked this info was finally available. O wasn't sure if I needed it and one guy did the swap said i didnt need certain things. If you want to edit my evo 8 conversion please go right ahead. In ur thread you were brief abouteverything you need and there wasnt alot of pics of your levo
Old May 14, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Props to you! Good stuff.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jogenmaru
For future purposes for others. The radiator the radiator support and the ac condensor are not needed for this conversion. That was just what you needed because of the accident. Correct?
im pretty sure you need the radiator support for the headlights bumper and fenders to bolt up to it.

also, $600 to install the support seems kinda high.

Last edited by burner67; May 14, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

You might have to oblong the holes in the upper bolt holes in the fender to fit it in more. not a big deal just be sure to put blue tape over it when you do it if you want to save the paint then put a tiny bit of touch up paint on the bare metal so it does not start to rust and bubble.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by steven121
Turbo time this info would have helped before I attempted the swap, I'm just shocked this info was finally available. O wasn't sure if I needed it and one guy did the swap said i didnt need certain things. If you want to edit my evo 8 conversion please go right ahead. In ur thread you were brief abouteverything you need and there wasnt alot of pics of your levo
There is nothing to be shocked about. This info has been available for years now. All pics and quotes I provided are from past threads from here on evom. I also offered to sell you my spare parts after I told you what you needed... but you declined. which is fine but do you think I would try to sell you something you don't need? lol.. My thread is a build diary not a diy/how to. I only posted to set the record straight for others who may be interested in this swap.

Quick Reply: How to: Evo 8 front conversion swap