Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

new to website help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to website help appreciated

Im new to the website ive been digging through it for about a month now and every thread ive entered to find the answers to my questions all have similar responses. Sorry if im posting this in the wrong area but id like a simple straight forward answer.
i currently drive a stock 02 lancer ES with the 4g94 engine.
HOWEVER my family owns a salvage yard in town and we just so happen to have an EVO that has a blown motor 4g63T and its body is considerably damaged. We also have a 1997 eclipse with a 4g63T thats scheduled by law for dismemberment since the previous "owner" removed the vin plates from the vehicle.
What im thinking is i can take the eclipses motor ecu and wiring harness use the evos transmission and transfer case purchase another drive shaft use the rear end from the evo and put them all in my non damaged lancer. Any advice on this would be helpful. If i have posted in the wrong area i apologize. Please do not flood this with "its not worth it too time consuming too expensive etc etc" i already know i need custom motor mounts and ill need to use the evos gas tank. The goal is to leave the ES looking as much like an ES as possible while changing the mechanical components to that of an Evo.
in short its a 2002 lancer es
the engine, computer and harness are that of a 97 eclipse
and a 200X evolution. Looks identical to mine just with wider fenders the spoiler the face and underneath it has the driveshaft and rear axel.
If I need to cut or modify any part of my frame im content with keeping it fwd but i have the evo so id figure id ask first.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
don't know where you searched but it's been done, or at least tried...rear subframe mounting requires major modification/structural reinforcement to the chassis. Even if done professionally, I'm not sure it would technically be road legal.

The other issue is that a 97 eclipse (Evo 1-3 configuration) and an Evo 4 through 9's engines/trannys) are mirror images of eachother, it's not a question of adapting engine mounts at that point, The parts cannot be mixed and matched...If the eclipse engine is on the passenger side, then it's a 420A and not a 4g63...how blown is the evo motor?

having an Evo motor in working order, you could mate it to a FWD manual 5speed f5m42 gearbox that was mated to any 4g64 or 4g69 engine. however there may be issues with clutch control and starter motor locations, but the bolt pattern should be the same. not 100% on this and I've never personally done it. but because of the differences in the systems, and the way the operate being opposite, I'm fairly confident it should work...

if you used the 2g eclipse engine, aside from extensive modification for engine mounting, you would have to basically reverse almost everything in the engine bay, including wiring, battery, hoses, reservoirs etc.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 02:59 PM

Thank you for the response. The evos block is broken. If it was repairable id just use it instead. This is the eclipse motor

I didnt grab a picture of the evo. As stated before due to the eclipse having its vin plates defaced i cant tell you what trim it is. absolute worst case scenario we had another eclipse come in today that can hold this motor just swap it sell it and go finance the evo 8 thats for sale thats under 12,000 -_-
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if it's FWD it's GS-T, if it's AWD it's a GSX...regardless, like I said the engine is a mirror image, it's backwards...if you flipped it around, the exhaust would be coming out toward the firewall...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:32 PM

thank you.

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
if it's FWD it's GS-T, if it's AWD it's a GSX...regardless, like I said the engine is a mirror image, it's backwards...if you flipped it around, the exhaust would be coming out toward the firewall...
i did a lot of reading because of this. Called dodge and mitsubishi both did a lot of talking. Mitsubishis phone call was by far the most helpful. 2nd gen GS-Ts did not come with the modified neon motor. Nor do the GSX's nor did any of the convertibles GS'S came with the 420A i have pulled the motor and will be towing it home this friday. Trans included for a total of 40.00 ive also decided im going to buy a second lancer to make the swap due to state laws and regulations i cannot do the undercarriage myself (not licensed for autobody repair) so i pulled a few strings here and have a well known and licensed collision repair shop doing the work of installing an evo 7s floor pan in exchange for a lexus ls400 complete front clip and the price of the floor pan. Once everything is switched over i will get to work and attempt to update regularly. I did pull the evos ECU last week and wiring harness after they yanked the motor out its non repairable. The basic junkyard pull. Cut everything and shake the car until the motor drops. Heartbreakingly savage. But time is money.

*edit*
im gonna eat my foot now shortly after i posted that my brother dropped the motor off and i got to work. I see what you mean. Once i got the motor in i quickly realized its reversed. Its flipped. The cam gears are on the opposite side, the intake goes the opposite way id have to relocate the battery and a lot of other ****. i misunderstood what you were saying but i understand now. Cars back together with its 4g94 im gonna pull the turbo system off of the eclipse motor. Sell the head and crush the block. :/ have a turbo manifold made for the motor and just sit on all of it until i can get a mivec head i spoke to a website (not to sure on rules so ill leave the company out) about obtaining a 4g92 mivec cylinder head from Australia im aware its not going to turn my eco box into a high horsepower screamer but itll give me better airflow gonna grab forged internals from the same company tap a donated oil pan ill grab from the yard and start piecing it together gonna install more aggressive camshafts and stiffer springs on the head and itll be my daily. I most likely will be this lancers last owner unless it survives long enough to become a hand me down for my daughter. So i dont mind sinking money into it. Bought it for 740 with a clean title had a bad ECU that wouldnt detect vacuum through the egr solenoid. I replaced the solenoid, egr valve, new. problem still existed so i grabbed the ecu from an 03 es at the yard and installed it runs fine now and im only 1100 invested. With the donated turbo kit i dont have the buy anything. Ar70 turbo, greedy bov and a godspeed boost controller just need to do tubing myself and purchase an intercooler with the car, the head, the mods to the head, the internals and the turbo manifold. put me at 3300 invested and im okay with that.

Last edited by Xaypotec; Jan 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: inaccurate