Notices
Lancer-Mirage Compatibility Forum For parts that can be used on both Lancer & Mirage models, post/look in here.

Ported 4G93 vs. RRM 4g94 IM

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skunk2 intake manifolds for civics are very simple. Metal box w/ tubes, just like a reverse header ^. I hope somebody will finally make a real intake manifold for lancers.
Maybe there is more to it ... don't know
Old May 1, 2005, 10:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Viciouz
you have no idea, how hard it would be to make a custom high flow velocity designed Intake Manifold.
Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
neither do you . . . hard? maybe for viciouz, not for a good fab company like rpw or rrm
Consider this a warning. I'm tired of the bickering.

When RRM comes out with their new IM (nice obvious hint, Boe and Jaylo), we'll all be amazed at how great it is and how much it costs. And then some people will buy them, while the rest of us port 4G93 IMs.

Not stop squabbling.
Old May 1, 2005, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know it was obvious but it was also a way to get attention that it's needed. A ported G93 works great and save's a lot but damn the full velocity one would have to be killer.

The G94 really sucks unless it's ported. The only issue i see with going G93 is the dealerships. If your still under warranty or use the dealerships for working on your car you can't go in there with a G93 manifold on there. They'll see the custom work in a heart beat. That's were the G94 ported is has a positive side.

However they'll all be out done by a Velocity style... except in pricing as i know their expensive. Magnus charges big bucks for theirs.

It's all good though... G93 if your skilled enough to do it... G94 if you want the stocker look but more power... Velocity if you want looks, power, and a good dent to the wallet.
Old May 1, 2005, 11:15 AM
Account Disabled

http://rippmods.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1303

thats a link to ripps own 4g64 manifold they made. it doesn't look to hard, just pipes of various sizes and bends welded up

i'm sure there is a bit more to it than that, but if someone were to do it (be it boe, rrm, rpw, ripp, buschur, whomever) i think people would jump on it, especially turbo fellas
Old May 1, 2005, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah turbo guys like these bigtime... the biggest issue with making these manifolds in a production sense is the flanges and velocity stacks.

If you don't get them right then the manifold will be worthless and maybe dangerious due to bad air distribution to each cylinder.

All the runners must flow evenly or else the air charge can be severly off and cause inconsistant cumbustion cycles. This could destroy the power of the motor and also hurt it at the same time.
Old May 1, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
When RRM comes out with their new IM (nice obvious hint, Boe and Jaylo), we'll all be amazed at how great it is and how much it costs. And then some people will buy them, while the rest of us port 4G93 IMs.
So what you are saying is that I'm going to be spending more money for RRM stuff. My list is grows longer: Headers, Fuel rail, High Flow cat, and now this IM... and my pocket book gets smaller.

Fox
Old May 1, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

What year of a mirage is this manifold from??? 4G93 = what year?
Old May 1, 2005, 12:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregivq
What year of a mirage is this manifold from??? 4G93 = what year?
97-02. 5th generation.

Must be 1.8L engine, not the 1.5L
Old May 1, 2005, 12:24 PM
Account Disabled

97-02. 5th generation.

Must be 1.8L engine, not the 1.5L
i've heard there are two kinds, one similar to our engine layout, one with the belts on the right side, intake on left, so just make sure you get the right one

fox, just cause rrm or any manufacturer makes a product and says its good, doesn't mean you have to buy it

yes, headers are good, hfc may not be necessary (and only yields a few hp for n/a), get the non-magnum fuel rail to save money, and finally get a ported 4g93 manifold

gauging by the price of the magnus one, a designed one such as boe is talking about would cost twice if not triple the $250 you can get a ported 4g93 for. worth it? sure, if you got dough to spend, but there are alternatives out there

its just like those guys that pay 200 bucks for a SRI (me for one ) when you get make your own for 40 bucks
Old May 1, 2005, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
i've heard there are two kinds, one similar to our engine layout, one with the belts on the right side, intake on left, so just make sure you get the right one

fox, just cause rrm or any manufacturer makes a product and says its good, doesn't mean you have to buy it

yes, headers are good, hfc may not be necessary (and only yields a few hp for n/a), get the non-magnum fuel rail to save money, and finally get a ported 4g93 manifold

gauging by the price of the magnus one, a designed one such as boe is talking about would cost twice if not triple the $250 you can get a ported 4g93 for. worth it? sure, if you got dough to spend, but there are alternatives out there

its just like those guys that pay 200 bucks for a SRI (me for one ) when you get make your own for 40 bucks
5th generation mirages, they are all oriented the same way as the Lancers.... just make sure you have the right engine. There are TONS more 1.5Ls out there, than 1.8Ls.

I do have two companies that had offered me high flow IMs around here, but I never took them seriously because I was / am poor: Sidewinder DSM and the guy who made my manifold, Gato Performance (who makes all the custom stuff for Central Florida Turbo) .... I will try to contact them and see what the price would be.
Old May 1, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking forward to the results
Old May 1, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Consider this a warning. I'm tired of the bickering.

Not stop squabbling.

Sorry didn't mean to make it offensive. Just stating that it is quite difficult to make a efficient high flow intake manifold.

The design seems simple but to make it efficient and worth all that money, you got to go through some several designs. You also go to go through tons of measurements to make it fit like butter.

But anyways... sorry didn't mean to offend anyone. Also these would be quite expensive. A lot of work, and I wouldn't have the patience to make one at all.
Old May 2, 2005, 06:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Something i noticed with the G93... it has shorter runners. Doesn't that drop your low end torque down a little?

It should... by design, the longer runners create an effective torque curve based off cam/comp ratio characteristics. In an effort to raise torque down low for more grunt in daily driving the runners are often increased. This does have a negative effect on top end hp though.

With the G93 shortened runners and quicker draft it seems you'd have a drop in low end of about 5-10% and come back in at around 4000rpm due to the cam/comp ratio characteristics. After 4k rpm you should then see a greater increase in acceleration due to the higher hp gained from the less restrictive flow design.

Have you felt this Greeny?
Old May 2, 2005, 06:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Just read your beginning post and you support the higher hp band in it... but you don't mention the lower band.

Did you dyno before this so that we could get a before and after comparison? I don't want a debate on this or to kill you for a dyno... just working where i do, i have a lot of knowledge on intakes and pretty much know it's a truth... but proof is always in the pudding as they say.

So what are the odds of the dyno?
Old May 2, 2005, 09:13 AM
Account Disabled

well, those are good points you brought up. whats important to realize first is that i have the kamikaze header with downpipe, so any torque i had is long gone now i also think i have an exhaust leak somewhere, just haven't had time to get it checked (i hear a waste gate - esque sound at high rpms, definately a leak somewhere)

anywho, i can't say for sure whether i felt my torque go. granted, the butt dyno isn't accurate at all, but i would havet to say if anything, my low end response increased, perhaps mainly due to the fact that the 93 is more free flowly, so as soon as i press on the gas it just goes

your right about the high end, the gain is definately there, just not sure about the low end (gains or losses)

tell ya what: i'm kinda broke right now, but if the general consensus is to see a dyno (perhaps it would further your IM fabrication research boe ) then i'll get one this weekend. but would it do any good since i don't have a before dyno? all we would see is the final result, no comparison between the ported 94 and ported 93, or would that be enough to get info from?

let me know and of course if anyone is willing to contribute a few bucks to the dyno fund, i'd appreciate it

Quick Reply: Ported 4G93 vs. RRM 4g94 IM