EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer-Mirage Compatibility Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-mirage-compatibility-forum-182/)
-   -   The big Mirage-Lancer thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-mirage-compatibility-forum/217003-big-mirage-lancer-thread.html)

Blacksheepdj Aug 11, 2006 08:53 AM

The big Mirage-Lancer thread

I'm just going to use this thread to give a brief glimpse of what works. All info is based on the 4G93 motor (1.8 liter) used in 5th generation Mirage DX models.

Please post up anything I don't have listed and it'll be added.

Engine:

Crank pulley - any 4G93 crank pulley will fit on the Lancer 4G94. If an underdriven pulley is purchased, a new belt will be needed.
Part number's of the belts compatible with the UDP (those are just ordinary DAYCO belts).
Drive Belt # 5050490-5PK1245
Alternator #5040285-4PK0725

Throttle body - 50mm, which is smaller than the 4G94 stock TB. Also uses different wiring (throttle position sensor, etc.).

Intake manifold - a newly-popular swap. The 4G93 intake manifold flows much better than the stock 4G94 IM. Threads regarding the swap can be found in this forum.

Head - exact same part as the 4G94 head. If you can get a cheap one and port it, it's a great start.
Notes:
Cam position sensor is different.
Lifters - 1997 are solid and then 98+ are hydrolic

Camshaft - if will work, however the Mirage and Lancer are tuned differently. Getting a 4G94 cam will most likely produce better results.

Cam gear - any aftermarket cam gear will work.

Header/exhaust manifold - stock header is tubular (rather than the 4G94's more restrictive design), but it's somewhat shorter. Will work perfectly if lengthened (can be done by any exhaust shop).

Turbo manifold - obviously coming off a 4G93T or turboed 4G93. This will fit.

Exhaust gaskets - they're pretty damn close to the same size. In a pinch, I've used them when the part store didn't have Lancer gaskets. I just had to open the bolt holes a tiny bit.

Spark plug wires - exact same part. I personally recommend NGK ME-96 wires. $22 at ngk.com

Fuel rail - same part. Can be ported just like 4G94.

Fuel injectors - they fit, but they flow 210cc - 30 less than the stockers. Send them out for modification or sell them to a guy with a 1.5L Mirage.

Valve cover - same cover, but the PCV looks different. Great for getting powder-coated.

Drivetrain:

Clutch - 4G93 clutches will work on 4G94 motors perfectly. There are many aftermarket options available.

Pressure plate - fits.

Flywheel - same part, so aftermarket lightweight flywheels will fit. Confirmed that any flywheel for 4G92 or 4G93 will fit.

Throw-out bearing - confirmed to NOT fit 02-03 models. You must either reuse the stock Lancer TOB or purchase a new one from :mitsu: . But do not try to use a Mirage TOB. That being said, it WILL fit 04+ models.

Brakes

Rotors - Lancer ES models that have the 4x100 bolt pattern can use aftermarket Mirage rotors.

Pads - the jury is out on this one. Some say yes, some say no. Check with the pad maker to be sure. But realistically, there's enough Lancer pad makers that you really don't need to go to the Mirage parts for this item...

BBK/rear brakes - again, the ES should be able to use them. Haven't encountered any Lancers that have actually done it, though.

comatose721 Aug 11, 2006 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Crank pulley - any 4G93 crank pulley will fit on the Lancer 4G94. If an underdriven pulley is purchased, a new belt will be needed.

DJ, here's the part number's of the belts compatible with the UDP:

Drive Belt # 5050490-5PK1245
Alternator #5040285-4PK0725

those are just ordinary DAYCO belts. i forget the exact length.

ALSO, i just read that somebody called mitsu and confirmed the fly's have the same part number....therefore being compatible {thumbup}

mark
:mitsu:

Blacksheepdj Aug 11, 2006 09:14 AM

Thanks. Added it.

Hotshot940 Aug 12, 2006 12:27 AM

Doug you MAY want to check up on the throwout bearing thing. I was told something about 02 lancer are able o use the throwout bearing, while 03+ have the throwout bearing attached to the shifting fork as one peice, i know that was the case with mine, and i was not able to use the throwout bearing provided with my mirage clutch, but it should have worked with an 02 lancer. Look into that but I'm pretty sure it's right.

Blacksheepdj Aug 12, 2006 07:26 AM

Edited. Thanks, Matt.

Evo666 Aug 24, 2006 05:00 PM

I worked on my buddy's car ('02 lancer ES) and his front brake pads look different from mine ('01 mirage)

Blacksheepdj Aug 25, 2006 10:15 AM

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Kurt Aug 25, 2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hotshot940
Doug you MAY want to check up on the throwout bearing thing. I was told something about 02 lancer are able o use the throwout bearing, while 03+ have the throwout bearing attached to the shifting fork as one peice, i know that was the case with mine, and i was not able to use the throwout bearing provided with my mirage clutch, but it should have worked with an 02 lancer. Look into that but I'm pretty sure it's right.

That is not the case. The 02's throwout bearing is attached to the shifting fork(one piece). I just had mine replaced a couple months ago.

edit.

here is the picture of the throw out bearing that came with my clutch kit.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Vaction001.jpg

Blacksheepdj Aug 25, 2006 02:35 PM

And we have our final answer!

krnzzang84720 Sep 21, 2006 08:11 AM

how about the shock and suspension?? are they the same??

Blacksheepdj Sep 21, 2006 10:21 AM

Not exactly sure. Might be some similarity with the ES model, as the Mirage and ES are more similar in brakes, lug pattern, etc.

OZrallyMatty Sep 21, 2006 08:02 PM

what part of the header is too short? the downpipe... cuz headers are cheap for the mirage, i wanna pick up some

krnzzang84720 Sep 21, 2006 08:51 PM

man!!! is anybody is going to produce shocks/strut for our oz?? I really want some high performence KYB or Tokeiko Shocks!!!! desperate!!!

rhyzin Sep 21, 2006 10:48 PM

so you guys know, the 04+ lancers share the same throwout bearing as the last two generations of mirages. MD722744.

Blacksheepdj Sep 22, 2006 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by OZrallyMatty
what part of the header is too short? the downpipe... cuz headers are cheap for the mirage, i wanna pick up some

Put a spacer between the header and downpipe and you should be golden.

Basically, the 4G94 block is taller, so it hits on the Mirage exhaust.