EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer-Mirage Compatibility Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-mirage-compatibility-forum-182/)
-   -   Mirage to Evo conversion opinon (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-mirage-compatibility-forum/453506-mirage-evo-conversion-opinon.html)

koedyker89 Oct 19, 2009 07:00 AM

Mirage to Evo conversion opinon

I have a Evo V and was thinking of bringing th engine, tranny, turbine, AWD, ect back and putting it in a Mirage. now i know it can be done, but is it worth it, keep in mind i have a whole working V that i can get all nessesary parts form to inclued body parts.

evoix10 Oct 19, 2009 07:03 AM

hmmm...why not just bring the whole thing over? Is it a huge hassle?

An authentic V is way cooler than a conversion. :)

Good luck with whatever option you go with!

Piro Fyre Oct 19, 2009 08:15 AM

I wouldn't do it because you have a complete working V and I don't see a point in doing it. If you totaled your V to the point where the frame is bent beyond repair, yes, I see a point but right now, you have a working V. For the amount of money spent on the swap, you can spend money on upgrades for the V instead.

koedyker89 Oct 20, 2009 05:06 AM

sure but i cant bring a V to the states, its illegel. but if i bring it back in parts and put it in another body and frame, its a legal car.....

Jehuty Oct 21, 2009 02:37 PM

You can legalize an evo V, it's basically a suped up mirage. Call around first before you dismantle it.

koedyker89 Oct 22, 2009 12:54 AM

I checked with every agency, branch, and department. theres no way a V will get by customs.

I could always could put the parts into a OZ....

skyblas Oct 22, 2009 01:13 AM

its not the same anymore
the evo have better body rigidity
body strength are much better, and lots of other stuff
it just wont be the same if u really wanna do that
and its time consuming and cost alot of money if u are not doing the conversion yourself
you would be better of getting an evo 8 or 9, anyway...you already driven an evo 5 before

BCspeed34 Oct 27, 2009 01:11 PM

I say drop the drivetrain, remove the headlights, brakes, etc. so that the chassis is considered an automotive part, rather than an automobile. Then ship it over to the US, it should clear customs if you did your research and made sure to them you were importing parts, not a car. Now you have everything on US soil, and it's legally there.

From there you would have two options, reassemble the Evo V as a kit car, or swap everything over to the Mirage. Or you could just not swap over any Evo parts but say you did, if you get my drift.

nudge120 Dec 24, 2009 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by koedyker89 (Post 7638466)
I checked with every agency, branch, and department. theres no way a V will get by customs.

I could always could put the parts into a OZ....

If you go the route of importing it as a race vehicle you can get it through customs with DOT and EPA approval. Street legal now thats a whole different story but you could have the car and have the parts. But DOT and EPA want an all out racecar (stripped, welded-in cage, race bucket, etc)for approval, which is the route I want to go with my TME RS. If your interested in that route I can give you some info.

aqualime Dec 24, 2009 07:41 PM

Oh yea, the best idea is the one I had so far. I was thinking about getting a 5 in the states when i totaled my 9 (ended up just buying and 8 but whatever it would have worked)

(follow instructions listed by post #8)

Just swap all the vin pieces over and debadge the car. Say you did the swap yourself.. who's gonna call you a liar? Just make sure you get a mirage, park it in your back yard or whatever you want, and like I said before give the vin stickers and title to the evo.

Your evo is now a mirage conversion..None the wiser.

"Edit" I reread post 8, this is whats suggested, guess I'm just more blunt"