Notices

Recharge a Power Cap?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Recharge a Power Cap?

ok so i was givin a power capacitor (1 farad) by onr of my friends who got rid off all his audio stuff for college. he says that he never properly charged the cap, but he still used it (only god knows why). My question is, is there any way i can like re-charge it? I dont have any idea how they work and id like for my car to not have an electrical fire.

Any help is appretiated!
Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, there is a way... When I got mine used, I read up on "recharging" the cap. Though I'd recommend looking this up for exact details, you'll need to go to Radio Shack and get a .5 ohm resistor (I think). Use safety glasses (just in case) and wear heat-resistent gloves (if you have some). Just cross the resistor over the 2 teminals and after a certain amount of time it should be good.

But a shop I asked about doing this to the cap, they said just hook it up and it should work fine...
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You just described safely discharging the cap, crossing the terminals with a resistor. Unless it's a really huge cap (more than a couple farads), just hook it up, you'll be fine.

If you want to charge it with a resistor, though, go and get a nice big 1ohm or so resistor in the 1/2watt or higher range, and hook it between your battery and the + terminal of the cap. When the cap's voltage (measured across the terminals) reads the same as the battery's voltage, you're done. Remove the resistor and install the cap.

I have a 15watt 1ohm resistor with spade connectors on it, it doesn't even get warm charging a 1 or 2 farad cap.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this says it all:
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audi...stallation.htm
Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ah thanks a lot guys. exactly what I needed to know. I tried searching on the internet but apparantly I suck at it because I couldn't find anything. lol