Notices

If you want an easy swap, don't go Clarion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want an easy swap, don't go Clarion

I just finished installing my aftermarket Clarion head unit and it was quite a chore. The deck in question (DXZ765MP) had two battery leads, one 15 amp and the other 3 amp that need to be connected directly to the battery. I tried installing it with just the harness adapter (both leads wired to the battery lead on the adapter) and it would go through a system check every time I started the car. It also wouldn't save the settings if the car was off for more than 15 minutes. At first I thought I had it wire wrong, so I reversed the accessory and battery leads and it did the same thing.

I eventually had to run a 10 gauge cable through the firewall from the battery and wire the leads directly and now everything runs fine. I couldn't find the grommet on the passenger side unfortunately so it's ghetto wired through the fender. Maybe I'll get it corrected later on, for now I'm just happy to have my clock at the correct time, the colour leds flashing and my Ipod working correctly. On the plus side, the second time I had everything out I decided to swap spots with the stock changer and it looks pretty clean. I just need to figure out what to replace the changer with as it's not connected to anything.

In short - if you want a simple swap, make sure your deck doesn't require the same thing!

Last edited by BassTek; Jun 24, 2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

One sounds like a 12v and the other a constant...Im not sure though since I have never seen a clarion. Got any pics of it installed?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cj98
One sounds like a 12v and the other a constant...Im not sure though since I have never seen a clarion. Got any pics of it installed?
The 12v was red, then there was a bigger gauge yellow wire marked 'Battery memory lead' and a smaller yellow one marked 'bus power lead' and the manual had a warning that both needed to go directly to the battery. I have no idea why a memory backup lead would need a thicker gauger and a 15 amp breaker pre-installed but then I'm not an expert.

I'll post a pic or two later, need to clean the car up a bit first.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

The memory backup lead is also your constant power lead, the Red accessory lead is like the remote white on your amp, it provides the same fundamental function. the bus power lead is for other devices hooked up to the cdchanger port IE satalite radio, changer, ipod, ect.

i cant see any reason why you would have to hook up direct 12V from the battery. expecially with a Sun and Sound ralliart where you'll be turning off the IC amp inside the headunit anyway.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:00 AM

Is it the motorized screen unit?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by RalliArt_Shark
Is it the motorized screen unit?
Yes it is.