EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Ralliart Audio & Security (All models) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-ralliart-audio-security-all-models-181/)
-   -   Rattle around the B pillar when bass is up (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-ralliart-audio-security-all-models/578212-rattle-around-b-pillar-when-bass-up.html)

DjRags604 Oct 7, 2011 10:44 PM

Rattle around the B pillar when bass is up

Stock system in my Ralliart but I will be putting a 10" sub in there within the next week. However even with bass at a moderate level out of the stock system I've noticed that there is a rattle right behind my ear where the B pillar is. I can't figure out the source but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it may be and/or suggestions on how to deal with it? Can I claim warranty on it? Thanks for any help

CrAnSwIcK Oct 7, 2011 11:04 PM

lol, wtf, warranty claim over a rattle? i guess you could try, the worst case scenario is they say no...

why don't you take it off, and see what it is?

DjRags604 Oct 9, 2011 09:41 PM

Only about 10 months left on the warranty and I figure since I just bought the car I may as well try to use it. Like you said, it's a "lol" move but since I'm not particularly handy when it comes to cars I figure I give it a shot before trying it myself. I'm planning on putting a sub in (just a single 10" JBL) and I'd like to have this solved before I do that.

CrAnSwIcK Oct 10, 2011 02:36 AM

you can try, but some mitsu dealers fight tooth and nail to avoid a warranty claim, even if your transmission was in the process of eating itself...most don't care about their customers like they should.

roblaza Oct 11, 2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 9660930)
you can try, but some mitsu dealers fight tooth and nail to avoid a warranty claim, even if your transmission was in the process of eating itself...most don't care about their customers like they should.

not all of them are like that. newmarket mitsubishi has been extremely well to me.

take off the pillar plastics and see if anything moves around. you can also find an audio shop and pick up some hushmat and put in there for some added insurance.

DjRags604 Oct 12, 2011 12:06 AM

Thanks. I think I'll be picking up some Dynamat for that very reason. I think the sound is actually coming from the speaker housing, not the B-pillar like I thought. More testing to follow and I'll see what happens. Thanks again.

roblaza Oct 14, 2011 06:04 PM

No problemo

stockley1234 Oct 16, 2011 06:37 PM

Theres not much in there, only the seatbelt mechanism. The best way to get rid of vibrations and rattles would be to use deadening and close cell foam. Many will line their whole vehicles in this and it makes a huge difference. One thing to remember when using deadening is that you don't need to put it on any curved surfaces. Flat surfaces have the tendency to vibrate, in a curve the sheet metal has strength and won't be driven into resonance. There is not a whole lot of flat surfacing behind that pillar trim iirc but I have been wrong before. If its something like the plastic is vibrating on one specific place then use some foam tape on the metal to where the plastic hits and that should work.

stundies Oct 25, 2011 05:16 PM

Mine rattles just behine my ear and I found it to be the rear door interior handles vibrating against it's plastic trim (I know this because it goes away when you touch the handle whilst music is playing). I have had a look and am struggling to come up with a fix. It is really annoying though and until I have found an answer, I will not be upgrading my speakers and installing a sub.

Therefore, if anyone else has an answer (and not the usual turn the volume higher), please let me know as it's driving me mad.

AMSOIL-LANCER Oct 26, 2011 01:48 AM

Smoke a little more and you might hear more things!!

stockley1234 Oct 28, 2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by stundies (Post 9698304)
Mine rattles just behine my ear and I found it to be the rear door interior handles vibrating against it's plastic trim (I know this because it goes away when you touch the handle whilst music is playing). I have had a look and am struggling to come up with a fix. It is really annoying though and until I have found an answer, I will not be upgrading my speakers and installing a sub.

Therefore, if anyone else has an answer (and not the usual turn the volume higher), please let me know as it's driving me mad.

Thats a different place for a rattle. Is the actual handle hitting like the cup piece? Did you check the linkages connected to the handle behind the panel? Maybe that is hitting the plastic trim or something. The only thing I can think is foam tape.

neogeo64 Dec 8, 2011 04:19 PM

there is a good rattle post in the evo x forum area showing instructions on how to apply felt to the seatbelt latch that is the source of rattle noise for a lot of people.

Link:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...xes-evo-x.html

DjRags604 Dec 9, 2011 10:21 AM

Thank you. I'll give it a look

IsaiahM Dec 12, 2011 08:03 PM

SO IM NOT CRAZY! Hallelujah :D

nekkidlad Dec 19, 2011 01:07 PM

did u ever figure anythign out..?
i have kind of a buzzing/rattle from that region also...thoni notice mine more at higher rpm's...louder stereo masks it..lol
never have the time to look into it tho