EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Ralliart Vendor Classifieds (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-ralliart-vendor-classifieds-97/)
-   -   Lancer Engine Damper (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-ralliart-vendor-classifieds/101648-lancer-engine-damper.html)

ProStreetOnline Oct 4, 2004 11:22 AM

Lancer Engine Damper

https://www.prostreetonline.com/proj...er/small_1.jpg

Weapon R has released an awesome new product for the true enthusiast! These dampers hold down your motor and prevent it from rocking during launch and competition use. We tried one in our Project EVO 8 and love it!

One of the things that impressed us the most about the Weapon R Engine Damper is that the shifting improved remarkably. Shifting into gear during all conditions was much much smoother, and quicker. We attribute this to the fact that the damper holds the engine firmer, so the shift linkage doesn't move, and thus allows the car to shift smooth.

Click here to order - $116.99

Click here for install instructions

Always in stock! {thumbup} Weapon R says it will work on the regular Lancers as well!

https://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/...59-111-101.jpg

blk-majik Oct 4, 2004 02:19 PM

Just curious, but is this going to help more than hurt a FWD car? The engine is going to xfer the weight towards the back of the car, so bracing it foward is a great idea, such that it keeps the weight on the front wheels and gives traction. But, using an unballanced brace that attaches directly to one (and only one) of the struts is going to push that strut up and back. Also, it looks like its forcing at slightly upward angle. Wont this cause some wheel lift and pivot, making us loose traction in just one wheel and cause a zig-zaggy launch?

im no suspension expert. just curious before I throw another $100-something into handling =)

otter Oct 4, 2004 08:24 PM

I think where it connects to the strut housing is stable enough, but I would think it'd be better for everything to dampen the engine equally at both ends (either dual dampeners, or better mounts). Also, have they actually tested this on the Ralliart? I get skeptical when something claims to fit *all* of the Lancers, base level through Evos.

blk-majik Oct 4, 2004 09:35 PM

its mounting on the cam gear casing, right? any place on the right side where it could mount? in the RA, they could also make it center-mount to the middle of the struct bar. Pushing up the struts would still be an issue, tho.

AdamRA Oct 4, 2004 09:49 PM

I put an order in, will let you guys know how it goes.....

mojambo Oct 5, 2004 12:52 AM

It does not mount to the CAM casing.....it mounts to the lower engine mount. Click the link on how to install it. Seems like a sturdy mounting point. I'm curious on how it works....

Daddymac Oct 5, 2004 08:42 AM

I've seen these used on RSX's. They're adjustable in the amount of dampening....also, I've never heard a complaint about these (the company that makes them for the rsx is Ingalls).

People also had said that this eliminated alot of wheel hop.

turbonutter Oct 5, 2004 08:57 AM

This type of an engine mount is sometimes referred to as a "bobble strut" They are responsible for damping the movement of an engine inside the engine bay. For those worried about weight xfer, this would actually help you - it keeps the engine from rocking its weight around around inside the bay over top of the front wheels which is where your power is coming from. It GREATLY decreases wheel hop when you launch hard off of the line, keeping your power down on the gound instead of bouncing around in the air. Between one of these and some filled/stiff motor mounts, it makes for a much smoother power delivery, especially off the line. And if all you do is replace the strut, it doesn't even add much vibration to the cabin while still keeping the engine-rock at bay.

mojambo Oct 5, 2004 12:03 PM

SO, your saying that this is better that getting filled engine mounts? I was going to get the filled mounts, but then I saw this. This seems like an easier solution as far as install goes. But, is it comparable to the filled mounts?

turbonutter Oct 5, 2004 12:08 PM

it's not as effective by itself as a set of filled mounts, but doesn't transfer as much vibration to the cabin either. IMO filled mounts are worth it, they are quite effective at eliminating wheel-hop and since I actually like to feel my engine running, the vibration doesn't bother me either. It's not that bad, especially since the 4g69 has balance shafts - my motor does not.

Daddymac Oct 5, 2004 12:11 PM

I just think the torque dampener is more worth the money. To do the mounts would be a royal pain. The TD you can do your self in your driveway in about an hour at most.

turbonutter Oct 5, 2004 12:16 PM

doing mounts aren't that hard either. Get a jack under the motor (with a wood block on it so you don't jack up your oil pan) and hold it in place as you replace the mounts. The only difficult one should be the transaxle side, and it's the front one that matters the most anyway.

blk-majik Oct 5, 2004 10:22 PM

there is a howto on fulling the mounts on the OZ somewhere on here. I bought the filling compound, but havnt been able to spot the mounts, yet. I may consider this mod once I get the mounts done, since I already have the stuff =]

AdamRA Oct 5, 2004 11:12 PM

I've heard if you do the mounts the vibration through the car is horrible and can be very annoying. Hopefully this damper doesn't cause to much vibration.

mojambo Oct 6, 2004 12:24 AM

BLK-MAJIK: what did you buy to fill the mounts?

Daddymac Oct 6, 2004 12:17 PM

Can we get any confirmation that this will work on a RA (I.E. Picture)??

I looked in my engine bay last night and it looks like the angle from the strut tower brace to where it mounts to the engine is different.

blk-majik Oct 6, 2004 12:53 PM

majambo: windo-weld by 3m. its a eurithane-based cauke. comes is a cauke tube. can get it at most auto stores. dont get silicone-based stuff, tho. make sure its urithane, as this will give a pretty hard, but not rocksolid ride. i started a thread about it a few weeks ago under ralliart general. do a search for it to keep the vendor thread on topic =]

AdamRA Oct 7, 2004 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Daddymac
Can we get any confirmation that this will work on a RA (I.E. Picture)??

I looked in my engine bay last night and it looks like the angle from the strut tower brace to where it mounts to the engine is different.

Looks like I will be getting mine tomorrow, so I will let you know how it goes.
It looks like it will fit though.

Daddymac Oct 12, 2004 09:26 AM

Any update on this yet Adam??

AdamRA Oct 12, 2004 10:05 PM

Doesn't fit.... I didn't look hard enough at where it mounts, our engine sits lower than the lancer es/oz and the evo. I'm making my own mount for it eventually.

mojambo Oct 12, 2004 11:03 PM

DIY filled mount it is then....damn I wanted this part

tswift Oct 12, 2004 11:10 PM

When I saw this I thought ok, so I looked at the instructions, then I looked at my car ES Lancer. The distance betweent the strut mount and where they said to put the motor mount was not like the photo. In fact the angle was so steep I knew it couldn't work. You'd have to make a bracket that is quite tall to make this thing work. I think a center mount would work also. I asked my dad who used to build stock cars about this. He said they used to use chains to hold the motor down. Only real drawback as has been stated is the vibrations are amplified.

Daddymac Oct 13, 2004 05:13 AM

Adam, my advice is to sell it......its really too bad about it to....they work VERY well.

turbonutter Oct 13, 2004 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by AdamRA
I've heard if you do the mounts the vibration through the car is horrible and can be very annoying. Hopefully this damper doesn't cause to much vibration.

I have 3 filled mounts on my car, and there is more vibration, but it's not horrible. Only time it's annoying at all (keep in mind this is a 10 year old car with an engine that's known to be rough anyway) is when I'm idling with the A/C on. You guys have balance shafts in your engine, so it should run considerably smoother than mine.

ski10804life Oct 15, 2004 06:43 AM

has anyone accually purchased the daper? well is so give us some input on it i am interested in this

Daddymac Oct 15, 2004 07:36 AM

I believe Adam bought one and said it doesn't work w/ the supplied mounts b/c our engine sits on a different angle the the evo's.

turbonutter Oct 15, 2004 08:28 PM

the way they have it working (from one side of the motor) I'm not quite sure it'd be that effective either. I think it would work better mounted on the centerpoint of the motor.

otter Oct 15, 2004 08:33 PM

AdamRA - you shouldn't have to sell it, rather just return it and get your money back. They posted in here saying it'd fit your car, and it doesn't, so they're in the wrong.

ProStreetOnline Oct 15, 2004 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by AdamRA
Doesn't fit.... I didn't look hard enough at where it mounts, our engine sits lower than the lancer es/oz and the evo. I'm making my own mount for it eventually.

AdamRA - This WeaponR damper does not fit your car? If this is the case, please let me know. I specifically called Weapon R about this, and they told me it would fit, and we could sell it to our customers. We never test fit it ourselves on a customer car with a Lancer, only EVO.

We would be glad to refund you your money if this is the case. And if so, I would like to apologize to everyone. I thought we had a great product here that would benefit the N/A guys as well as the turbo guys.

We will pay for your shipping back to us as well, or we will schedule UPS to come by and pick it up. Please let me know at alex@prostreetonline.com

Thank you

Alex

otter Oct 16, 2004 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by prostreetonline
AdamRA - This WeaponR damper does not fit your car? If this is the case, please let me know. I specifically called Weapon R about this, and they told me it would fit, and we could sell it to our customers. We never test fit it ourselves on a customer car with a Lancer, only EVO.

We would be glad to refund you your money if this is the case. And if so, I would like to apologize to everyone. I thought we had a great product here that would benefit the N/A guys as well as the turbo guys.

We will pay for your shipping back to us as well, or we will schedule UPS to come by and pick it up. Please let me know at alex@prostreetonline.com

Thank you

Alex

I've been reading about this product over in the Evo forum and they love it. Next time you're on the phone with Weapon R, bug them to make brackets that will work with the 2.4 MIVEC engine. This seems like an easy and effective alternative to filling motor mounts.

slamont Oct 21, 2004 08:01 AM

I've got an idea. You can buy adjustable steering dampers in any motorcycle catolog for about 50.00$. MAKE YOUR OWN BRACKETS AND SAVE SOME DOUGH.

otter Oct 21, 2004 04:44 PM

That requires things like a garage and welding/cutting equipment, neither of which I have.

sillypuddy Oct 22, 2004 06:00 AM

i have access to wielding / cutting equipment, but how many would wnat to buy it though

-joe

ohcanada_00 Oct 22, 2004 08:28 AM

I'd buy for a good price

Daddymac Nov 16, 2004 06:34 AM

Any updates on this?? Has anyone tried making a mod to allow us RA guys to use this?

To the author of the thread...have you made an enquires to the manf. to see if they can produce a engine dampener for the RA guys?

reTro Dec 14, 2004 02:21 PM

I sooooo want one of these! I wish someone would design some custom bracket to make it work for the RalliArt engine!

WoRkZ Jun 10, 2005 10:57 AM

-

What's up with those? Has anybody figured this out already? Daddymac pointed me to these and I may be interested... I really hate the wheelhop I'm getting.

-

wiretap Jun 10, 2005 11:01 AM

Any word that it FOR SURE fits the regular lancer? 4g94?

DiamondWhite Jul 13, 2005 02:58 PM

I'm up for It. .

Alex,

Can you possibly see if you can get either mounts for this or one that will .. i'd be all about it.

WoRkZ Jul 13, 2005 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondWhite
I'm up for It.

Yeah! {thumbup}

Let us know how it went and what the difference is (if any)...

-

AdamRA Jul 13, 2005 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
Yeah! {thumbup}

Let us know how it went and what the difference is (if any)...

-

They don't fit, I tried to make it fit and couldn't come with a solid mount.

DiamondWhite Jul 13, 2005 03:43 PM

I mean if they get good mounts built or a different dampner.. i just emailed Weapon-R about our application.

Daddymac Jul 14, 2005 09:59 AM

Let us know what they're response is.

sillypuddy Jul 14, 2005 10:51 AM

good luck finding a damper for $50

they go for over $100 on ebay

-joe

DiamondWhite Jul 14, 2005 01:58 PM

No.. it would have to be custom made.
We do not plan on making it a production item.

Leo Now
Vice President
Rev International Ltd.

AIM: WEAPONRUSA

DBA:

quick-shot-21 Aug 15, 2005 08:31 PM

bar

I have been looking hard for a product like this and have not found any...hopefully we can figure something out so bad for the ralliart as well. I was thinking about it as well, and i noticed too that it was deeper then the evo engine. Everybody start throwing ideas in. I wqas thinking about either a crossed one that looks like ^ <----- this...or maybe something like the hydrolic system form a door. Of course modify it alittle bit and refill it, its kinda hard to explain. there is plenty of ralliart drivers here that we can figure something out

AlkalineTrio124 Aug 16, 2005 08:53 AM

EDIT: PM'ed quick-shot instead of hi-jacking this thread!

vkeven Aug 16, 2005 02:02 PM

weaponr = crap

AdamRA Aug 16, 2005 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by vkeven
weaponr = crap

The damper was actually decently made. I wouldn't buy anything else from them though.