Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

My 09' Lancer GTS with EVO X Projectors + OEM HID

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most likely they r so pricey is because they use the standard oem heads and then add a projector, (have no idea how they do this). there is a huge demand for evo like heads but with out the premium of oem parts. so who ever makes them now can charge what ever price they want.

Last edited by SYSTEMA; Feb 23, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

found it cheaper, and it says it works with all models of the 08 lancer (including base)
from 1200 down to 900
http://autocityimports.com/2008-lanc...2922_3058.html
Old Feb 24, 2010, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SYSTEMA
most likely they r so pricey is because they use the standard oem heads and then add a projector, (have no idea how they do this). there is a huge demand for evo like heads but with out the premium of oem parts. so who ever makes them now can charge what ever price they want.
Well actually OEM Projectors sell for $1200 from Mitsu... so its not really a deal. So that idea of "without the premium of oem parts" is nonsense.

And how they do it, they made their own DRL bypass and aftermarket HIDs. They do not use same harness that would come on OEM projectors. This is why they "would" work on any lancer, but it still not like if you had real OEM projectors.

On that note... it seems that after much research that it is only the 08 Lancers made AFTER 6 months from the original production date have both plugs needed to use OEM projectors. If your Lancer was made between the first production date and up to the first 6 months only have 1 plug. (A correlation with the release of the EVO X? Maybe.)

Second note, you cannot swap your harness that comes attached to your Halogen headlight assembly and put it on the Projector assembly. The reason is, in the larger plug there is a circuit board connection, and on the headlight assembly side there is a logic circuit that 'talks' to the ETACS, and actually tells how the steering column light switching controls the headlight.

In essence our headlights are semi-intelligent. The ETACS basically changes it so the DRL signal changes from the outer LOW bulb on a halogen assembly to the inner DRL bulb on the projector assembly via the smaller plug on the harness. If you have a copy of the wiring schematic from the service manual, you can see how it works, and where the ETACS comes into play. Quite ingenious if you ask me.

FYI here is the inside of the large and small plugs...

Last edited by matchstick; Feb 24, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Its not only the 08's that dont have the harness its also some of the 09's alot of them too. I wonder if it has to do where the car was made (at which mitsubishi facility)...anyways

Although you can not swap the harness from a halogen headlamp to a hid/projector headlamp you CAN swap the pins of the HID headlamp to match those on your car, for example you want to change where the projector headlamp harness' blinker pin is, to match where the signal for the blinker is on the harness that is part of your car.

After you trace where all the pins go on the hid headlamp and what all the pins on your OEM plug do you can move the pins on the headlamp harness around to match and now you have a working OEM headlamp.

Ive done this it works with no problem other than I do not have a DRL disable so instead of running my low beams with the low beam signal (yellow wire ? i forgot ) i run the low beams through a separate switch connected to an empty slot in the fuse box that turns on with the car.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matchstick
Well actually OEM Projectors sell for $1200 from Mitsu... so its not really a deal. So that idea of "without the premium of oem parts" is nonsense.
point taken, but what i meant to get across though is that there is a demand for parts that are modeled after the evo x without paying oem price, not that these heads are a good deal.

thanks for the pic, gives me something a little more detailed to compare
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:44 PM

I have a 2008 GTS with one connector. How do I go about connecting it to my DDM Tuning ballasts if possible? Also, I didn't purchase the whole assembly since I already had ballasts I thought would work. So what other parts might I need to make it work, like for the cover or part (black round thing) that prevents moisture etc.

I was going to swap to the halogen wiring harness but now want more opinions before I do the install in the next day or two.

One other thing, if I don't mount the ballast on the bottom of those headlights, do I need to cover that hole/opening or not a big issue? If so, what would be the best method but somewhat easy method to do so?

Last edited by Dennis187; Apr 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

soo jealous of your car....and jealous of your damn lights...make my 09 ralliart look not soo nice lol.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookitznite
soo jealous of your car....and jealous of your damn lights...make my 09 ralliart look not soo nice lol.
Hope you like this HID pic! And 2 more pics of the current state of the car. 1 year with the lights and no problems. Im glad this info helps others with the HID.

Old May 5, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matchstick

i'm too lazy to walk to my car, so i wanna ask if my 2009 GTS has that big connector. I know that i have 2 connectors but that larger one has me confused if i have it or not
Old May 6, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

every trim has the larger connector. i recently checked mine and i only have the large one. so if i have it, you have it.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:34 AM

friend of mine bought also the projector lights. Coming from Ebay from the USA and they are shipping to Belgium.
His 09 GTS has also big and smaller connector, the projectors come from a wrecked EVO and includes the bulbs, ballasts and the height switch.

All plug&play on his car??
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:48 PM

So I've done so much reading on this topic and I'm confused beyond belief. So from what I understand, 08's dont have the extra small connector and the small connector is what controls the drl?

I've read on other threads that the drl is dependant on the ecu and that you would need to go in and change your own ecu settings. I'm on the verge of purchasing the oem projectors and will put them in '10 Lancer.

However, from what I understand in this thread, it will work just fine, I will have no problems with the drl, flickering HID at all because I have the small connector. However, in other threads, the wiring doesn't make a difference if we can't change our ecu settings.

Sooooo...can someone please give me a straight answer on:
1) Will the oem hid flicker if i put the oem hid into my 2010 SE?
2) Will the DRL harness that some guy is selling here fix the hid flickering issue if it is connected to the OEM hid system OR is the drl bypass only for aftermarket HID kits?
3) Will the auto leveler work out of the box once I've plugged in the oem hid? Or would I need to do some extra stuff?

There are so many threads on drl its driving me insane.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tapsta
So I've done so much reading on this topic and I'm confused beyond belief. So from what I understand, 08's dont have the extra small connector and the small connector is what controls the drl?

I've read on other threads that the drl is dependant on the ecu and that you would need to go in and change your own ecu settings. I'm on the verge of purchasing the oem projectors and will put them in '10 Lancer.

However, from what I understand in this thread, it will work just fine, I will have no problems with the drl, flickering HID at all because I have the small connector. However, in other threads, the wiring doesn't make a difference if we can't change our ecu settings.

Sooooo...can someone please give me a straight answer on:
1) Will the oem hid flicker if i put the oem hid into my 2010 SE?
2) Will the DRL harness that some guy is selling here fix the hid flickering issue if it is connected to the OEM hid system OR is the drl bypass only for aftermarket HID kits?
3) Will the auto leveler work out of the box once I've plugged in the oem hid? Or would I need to do some extra stuff?

There are so many threads on drl its driving me insane.
1- I don't know if the 10 lancers SE has the same wiring that my 09 GTS has.. so it 50/50 chance of flickering

2- Dont know much about that.

3- Yes it works, just see if you have the wires installed in the inside of your car. You just need to plug the switch.

Hope this help
Old Aug 1, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone figured out how to turn on the DRL? I heard you have to buy a relay and take it to the dealership to activate the DRL.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:50 PM

Turbotech, did both your projectors turn on when you switch it to low/high beam? for me, only the driver's side stayed on and the passenger side went out immediately. As if there's not enough power for both to turn on at the same. Installed these on a 2010 Sportback GTS btw.

Quick Reply: My 09' Lancer GTS with EVO X Projectors + OEM HID