Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Has anyone taken the fender wells off their car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone taken the fender wells off their car?

Hello,

Out of curiosity has anyone taken the fender wheels completely off their car and if so what was the result?

I ask as my wheels rub the fender wheels and Ive tried cutting them etc and doesn't work so was thinking of removing them completely but was wanting to make sure such thing wouldn't have adverse consequences.

Justin
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing the only risk where you are would be water getting up into the engine compartment. I'd be worried about snow and salt here, but you probably don't have that issue ;0
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

youll run the risk of shooting rocks into the engine bay and damaging things
Old Dec 5, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

its horrible this idea
Old Dec 5, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont believe anyone , i have not had my fender wells in my car for about 2 years , and my car is in mint condition . The only thing it does do is make a little , little more road noise but thats about it .

I say go for it !
They could always be put back on anyways so what harm is it really doing ?

Ps I also now found out that i could just cut some of the well out and bend the tabs on the fender that way i have no fender well rub and still have them in there .
Old Dec 5, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

The fender wells are there to stop your tires from throwing debris into your engine bay. Which could cause catastrophic damage to internal components. I seriously do not recommend doing this as if you have any sort of warranty it is instantly void as you are removing a component of the vehicle that helps to protect its other components. But hey you can listen to me or listen to the other people that are risking serious damage to their engines.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Lol i guess some people here have never taken apart a car , or no noting about them , fender wells on some* cars go in the engine bay , they do not on lancers , the cars frame go's between the 2 . Here is a picture of my car with the fenders off .

See how there is no area open inside the engine bay and inside the fender well area .
Old Dec 5, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Also the opening up in the front by the battery is covered by the headlight and bumper .
Old Dec 7, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

I hope you realize that nothing in there is air/water tight and the chances of things getting inside increase when you remove the guards. And if you think that there is no possible way for something to get in there sadly your an idiot. Look at the area just in front of the tire. I guarantee that your front bumper does not fill that gap in completely unless the fender well covers are on. I don't think you understand the speed at which a rock can travel when kicked up by your tire. But hey there are plenty of morons out there that just don't understand common sense.

Last edited by Stuntfly02; Dec 7, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

It does cover the opening. Also if you were to think a little better you would know the direction of the tire would not kick anything up in the front . I also have never heard of anyone wanting a air tight engine bay lol
So for the OP go ahead and take them off and see if it still rubs , could be the actual fender tabs rubbing . Or if you do not want to remove it cut about 1/3 of it off from the top of the wheel , from the outside and that should take care of that .

Trust me I have been working on cars for yrs and have been taking apart and rebuilding all kinds of cars .

Good luck if you need anyother kind of help feel free to pm me .

Thanks ,
Antonio .
Old Dec 8, 2009, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took mine out about 6months ago. The only issue is that dirt gets on the back of my driver side headlight. That's about it.

As far as the engine bay being air tight, I've been running a vented hood for over a year, sometimes in the rain, and haven't had any issues.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stuntfly02
The fender wells are there to stop your tires from throwing debris into your engine bay. Which could cause catastrophic damage to internal components. I seriously do not recommend doing this as if you have any sort of warranty it is instantly void as you are removing a component of the vehicle that helps to protect its other components. But hey you can listen to me or listen to the other people that are risking serious damage to their engines.
which engine components could get catastrophic damage?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZ
I took mine out about 6months ago. The only issue is that dirt gets on the back of my driver side headlight. That's about it.

As far as the engine bay being air tight, I've been running a vented hood for over a year, sometimes in the rain, and haven't had any issues.
I think that is the only problem , well not really a problem it just seams to get dirty around the headlight .
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:10 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Last winter on our OZ Rally, the wheel fender liner got ripped out by snow chains. It took 2 weeks to send us one. In the mean time (after the snow chains were taken off) a lot of debris built up behind the wheel in the fender, in front of the fender and some object had damaged the wire harness in that area. I had to splice the harness back together. Also it dented the fender. I don't recommend running without the wheel liners.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

^Sounds like a lot of that damage probably occured when the liner got ripped off?

OP: Are you thinking about taking the liner off in the rear wheel wells also? If so, you'd be throwing tons of dirt and water into your trunk because I'm pretty sure all that's between your trunk and the wheel well is that formed piece of carpet.

Quick Reply: Has anyone taken the fender wells off their car?