Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

ride became kinda bouncy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ride became kinda bouncy

I have 17" OZ Superleggera's on my car w/ Eibach Springs

Ive notice the back springs make a noise now and I've also noticed that my ride has become a little bit bouncy.....

Could n e one explain to me why this could be and how i would fix it

THANKS !!!!!
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

you might have a bad shock absorber, is there fluid leaking from any part of the shocks?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 07:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You've gone to a lot lower profile than stock, so that will create some additional feel itself. But the biggest change is you've lowered your car but haven't changed the shocks. The stock shocks aren't valved for the loss in suspension travel you now have because the car is lowered. That can cause the shock to wear out pre-maturely or even fail under hard applications.

The best thing to do is find a sport shock that's meant for a lowered car. Koni, Tein, Bilstein are all good examples. You'll have a rougher ride no matter what, but with the right shocks it will be a bit smoother and safer

Unfortunately we don't carry any shocks for the OZ.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Unless things have changed, I don't think anybody makes sport shocks for the Lancer.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.

The best thing to do is find a sport shock that's meant for a lowered car. Koni, Tein, Bilstein are all good examples. You'll have a rougher ride no matter what, but with the right shocks it will be a bit smoother and safer

One of the guys here have the Tein Coilovers and he told me w/ the wheel size i have I will get a really bouncy ride...and when u get coilovers i thought u also replace ur struts too..so...that doesnt make much sense to me
Old Oct 12, 2004, 08:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well coilovers can be used on the street, but are really designed for more off road applications. Not to say you cant drive them on the street, but for an everyday driver it can be a bit stiff. A coilovers shocks and springs are made to work with together, they are designed as one component. The way they are valved and rated is tuned for optimal handling, not ride.

Just because a coilover contains shocks as well doesn't mean your spring and sport shock setup will ride like a coilover. They both serve the same basic function, but perform in quite different ways. There are more streetable, softer valved shocks out there instead of a harsher race application shock. Also, many coilovers have adjustable dampening. Maybe your friend has them on sport feel or something along those lines.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
One of the guys here have the Tein Coilovers and he told me w/ the wheel size i have I will get a really bouncy ride...and when u get coilovers i thought u also replace ur struts too..so...that doesnt make much sense to me
There are two types of coilovers sold. Sleeves sold by DropZone and GroundControl do not come with struts. Full coilovers sold by Tein and JIC come with struts and the colivers and build onto the strut.

There are no sport struts made for the Lancer OZ/LS. Tokico is selling them for the ES either soon, or right now. This is why going with aftermarket lowering springs or sleeve coilovers on an OZ/LS is a mistake because the stock struts will blow in a short amount of time.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by livelyjay
There are no sport struts made for the Lancer OZ/LS. Tokico is selling them for the ES either soon, or right now. This is why going with aftermarket lowering springs or sleeve coilovers on an OZ/LS is a mistake because the stock struts will blow in a short amount of time.

something has gotta be done about this. Is there not a way to make the ES's work w/ OZ/LS?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

get new struts
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Did you cut your bumpstops down? If not, your lower stance is constantly hitting stock bump stop height on the struts/shocks.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
something has gotta be done about this. Is there not a way to make the ES's work w/ OZ/LS?
If there was, someone would have figured it out by now.