Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Drum-Brake to Disc-Brake conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drum-Brake to Disc-Brake conversion kit?

I've been trying to find a disc-brake conversion kit for a 2002 oz rally, but i've had no such luck. does anybody know where i can get one. if somebody knows how to change my drums to disc by themselves, please share this information...i'm willing to try it on my car.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

no kit exists, that's why you didn't find any information
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

The only kit so far is through RPW and they only offer it in a 4x100 pattern. I'm not sure if David mentioned that they can get one in a 4x114.3 but that would be a special order item.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

i thought Wildwood made a set? you should be able to get them through RMR.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wilwood only makes a big brake kit for our fronts... but not a drum to disc conversion for the rear. Only drum to disc conversion is by RPW only for Lancer ES (4x100 pattern) as stated above.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kareem@Accolade
Wilwood only makes a big brake kit for our fronts... but not a drum to disc conversion for the rear. Only drum to disc conversion is by RPW only for Lancer ES (4x100 pattern) as stated above.
ive seen people selling them though. i thought Kontra had them cause i remember he had them for sale when he sold his car. unless they were the RPW ones, but i dont think so.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

no, he had the wilwood rear rotors and had to fabricate brackets for new calipers, which he had not done by the time he sold the car. it was not a finished kit.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.mirageforums.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3813

Easy 276mm/Dual Piston Front Disc Upgrade

http://www.mirageforums.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6949

260mm Rear Disc Conversion

Work accordingly. I do believe the ES (definately) and LS share the same lug pattern as the mirage. The thing: all parts in the US, just need a little work on your side.

Edit: you may want to contact the owner for a list of cars w/ the same bolt pattern as the OZ.

BTW: some of the stuff maybe overkill for the mirage since the coupe weighs in the low 2300 lbs and the sedan around the mid 2400 lbs. The lancer should be perfect being around 2700 lbs. This setup is bigger than a S13 240sx (around 2700 lbs), and I never broke any sweat stopping my ex-240sx.

Last edited by bahamut; Dec 2, 2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 05:50 PM
EvoM Guru

hey bahamut. haven't seen ya in a while

you cant move the front rotors to the rear. the rotor height is all wrong and they're twice as thick as they should be cuz they're vented. the front upgrade bahamut posted should work with no problems. i'm planning on doing this at least by jan-feb.

if you want rear brakes, grab the ralliart rear brake brackets. you should be able to use the stock parking brake with it since the ralliart uses an integrated type brake similar to our drum setup. as for retrofitting rear calipers from another car, not too sure and would rather use ralliart calipers in the rear. it would seem as if rpw use different calipers than the ralliart and i dunno what they are. you're also going to have to redrill ralliart rotors as i can't seem to find rotors of the correct height and bolt pattter (for the OZ). ES guys could probably use the 260mm from DBA as in the link above.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

I do believe it runs around $700-$750.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

gotta remember though, that 40% extra stopping power w/o ABS will probably cause you to lockup more often than you do now... you need to remember to find a way to set the brake bias so you dont have too much clamping in the rear compared to the front... otherwise your front will work like normal but your rears will lock due to lack of downward force (almost all weight re-distributes to the front when stopping)
Old Dec 3, 2004, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

I'm selling my rear disk conversion kit. Give me a pm and I'll hook you up. I have the one for the OZ rally, 114.3x4 pattern. This is the RPW rear disk conversion kit.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

I forgot about the RA option for rear brakes. It'll be a lot closer match (I don't know the bolt pattern for the RA) for the lancer. Then again, for the main parts, you'll have to go to the dealership, and they will charge an arm and leg for it. Of course, if discount auto parts or other place like it, they might already be selling major parts for the RA. For small stuff like brake pads, you can get any aftermarket version for the application of RA.

gotta remember though, that 40% extra stopping power w/o ABS will probably cause you to lockup more often than you do now...
===========================

I don't know if it's concept that has been floating on the net for a long time. When I had my 240, I forgot what other 240 guys would say about it.

Otherwise, upgrade your brake master cyl on the link . . . the 240 guys use the 300zx, non-abs version. If you get the abs version, you'll have an extra line for abs that needs to be plugged up and usually cost a bit more.

It's not hard to do it, just don't strip the nut or break the steel tubing that manufacturers called a brake line. Otherwise, it's PITA is you don't have a friend that knows how to recreate a replacement brake tubing.

Last edited by bahamut; Dec 3, 2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 09:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bahamut
I forgot about the RA option for rear brakes. It'll be a lot closer match (I don't know the bolt pattern for the RA) for the lancer. Then again, for the main parts, you'll have to go to the dealership, and they will charge an arm and leg for it. Of course, if discount auto parts or other place like it, they might already be selling major parts for the RA. For small stuff like brake pads, you can get any aftermarket version for the application of RA.

gotta remember though, that 40% extra stopping power w/o ABS will probably cause you to lockup more often than you do now...
===========================

I don't know if it's concept that has been floating on the net for a long time. When I had my 240, I forgot what other 240 guys would say about it.

Otherwise, upgrade your brake master cyl on the link . . . the 240 guys use the 300zx, non-abs version. If you get the abs version, you'll have an extra line for abs that needs to be plugged up and usually cost a bit more.

It's not hard to do it, just don't strip the nut or break the steel tubing that manufacturers called a brake line. Otherwise, it's PITA is you don't have a friend that knows how to recreate a replacement brake tubing.
That might be a bit difficult as the Ralliart has a 5x114.3 bolt pattern while the OZ has a 4x114.3 bolt pattern.

Unless we cant take the whole assembly off the RA and turn our OZ's into 5 lug vehicles... that'd rock! There are a TON of rims I want available only in 5 lug bolt pattern
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'm saying the RA option if the person wants to change his entire rim setup to 5 lugs.

Heck, my brother changed his crewcab lugs from a whopping 8 to 6 and a new set of rims. Of course, GM has tons of parts sharing within their truck lineup. I'm expecting Mitsu to a certain extent. Every car manufacturer has some sort of chassis or parts sharing program. H&A played this card to the hilt to max out their profit margin.

Quick Reply: Drum-Brake to Disc-Brake conversion kit?