Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

drilling holes for rotors?(not dimples) is that safe?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drilling holes for rotors?(not dimples) is that safe?

this might be the weirdest question but...... im buying a "universal" Wilwood brake upgrade from a fellow member on here, QtLancer and he got it from Kontradiction brand new. what makes it universal is that the holes for the bolt pattern arent drilled so the holes will have to be drilled to the specs of the car.... i've never heard of a rotor that you need to drill.. is it safe? .... i know its something that shouldnt be done with just a drill in my garage... anyone know how much it would cost to get 4 rotors drilled?

heres a pic of the rotor
Attached Thumbnails drilling holes for rotors?(not dimples) is that safe?-willwoods-001.jpg  
Old May 19, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

This kit was made from wilwood with the holes needing to be drilled. Wilwood sells it so that you get it drilled, I assume it's safe as it's the way they sell their product
Old May 19, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

yea you should be fine but i would take it to a shop that knows that they are doing...damn...how much did you get them for...
Old May 19, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

thanks guys .. its just weird thinking about drilling a rotor cause ur life depends on those when ever u get into ur car and theres no room for error. .. i guess i have to look around my area for a shop that would drill it. i got it for 500 shipped, front and back

u think one of those tuner/custom shops could do it or even a body shop? midas? mineke?

Last edited by imajinmyfx; May 19, 2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old May 19, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

i would go to a brake shop or one that specialzes in brakes and ask for their opinion on it, cus in the end, if they think that they will be liable for it then they wont do it unless you sign something saying they are not at fault
Old May 20, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imajinmyfx
this might be the weirdest question but...... im buying a "universal" Wilwood brake upgrade from a fellow member on here, QtLancer and he got it from Kontradiction brand new. what makes it universal is that the holes for the bolt pattern arent drilled so the holes will have to be drilled to the specs of the car.... i've never heard of a rotor that you need to drill.. is it safe? .... i know its something that shouldnt be done with just a drill in my garage... anyone know how much it would cost to get 4 rotors drilled?

heres a pic of the rotor
I see that you are actually asking about drilling the rotor hat, I would have a machine shop do it, so they can get your bolt pattern drilled correctly(4x100 ES 4x114.3 LS/OZ) and centered and the diameter of the holes will match up to the width of your bolt!
Old May 20, 2005, 05:08 PM

I have to have my rotors drilled 'cos of my brake swap, there are no rotors available with the correct pattern. Took them to a local machine shop that I found after looking in the phone book and being referred a couple times. They did it for $35 per rotor, but I'm sure there are places that will do it cheaper. Most machine shops have tools that will measure a circle, locate the center and then they can ensure that each hole is the exact same radius from center and even spaced along the circle.

One note is that with the Mirage the lug holes have to be 12mm, since the lugs are 12x1.5. Had one set drilled to 1/2", which is only 0.7mm/0.02", but it was enough difference that the rotor would "slap" against the lugs under hard braking even though the wheels were torqued properly. I assume the Lancer to have the same size studs.