Wheel Bearing Question - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Wheel Bearing Question

Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:40 PM   #16
Evolved Member

Drives: 2005 Lancer Es

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03lances View Post
I actually got it from harbor freight for like $70 front wheel bearing service kit. You will need a pneumatic impact though or else it won't be easy. Its a snap with the impact gun. I know most people hate harbor freight but for stuff like this there products work awesome
I lover harbor freight, thats where I got my engine stand and hoist as well as other tools. Used the coupon in one of my car magazines. Imma have to make another trip down to the kit then. thanks.

Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:33 AM   #17
Evolved Member

Drives: 2003 Lancer ES-T

here is the exact kit I bought works mint

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66829

Old Apr 1, 2010, 04:37 PM   #18

Drives: None

Good information! I'm going to order the wheel bearing tool set, some new bearings and give it a try. Kinda pissed that I just replaced the axle and the noise is still there.

Old Apr 4, 2010, 08:31 PM   #19

Drives: 2002 Lancer ES

lol i just changed my axle today and when i drove the car again...hmm hmmm hmm. the noise is still there. no doubt its the bearing. gotta look into that press thing from harbor freight toolz..

Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:49 PM   #20
Evolved Member

Drives: 2003 Lancer ES-T

Just a heads up for everyone usually the axles will make a sort of clicking sound while turning if its going bad. 99% of the time if your humming and nothings rubbing then its usually the wheel bearing

Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:48 PM   #21
Evolving Member

Drives: 2002 Lancer OZ Rally

What size is the axel nut?

Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:41 AM   #22
Evolving Member

Drives: 2002 Lancer OZ Rally

The front is 32mm

Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:13 PM   #23

Drives: 2003 mitsubishi lancer evolution VIII

wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixLancer View Post
Hey everyone,

When I'm driving there is a humming noise coming from the right front of my car, when I turn left the noise gets louder, when I turn right there is no noise. I'm assuming this is the right front wheel bearing, but could it possibly be anything else? And if it is the wheel bearing, how hard is this to change? Is it pressed in? Will I need anything special to remove it and put it in? I hate paying some overweight sweaty man $60 and hour to do something I could do. Let me know. Thanks!
hey all you do is remove the brakes rotor and backing plate and hub nut then its the 4 bolts that surround the drive axle the heads are on the inside facing away from u all u do is remove those and pul it out (they pick up road grime dirt and debris inbetween 2 metal piecesof the housings it will be a fight trust me) replace with new one tightening bolts in correct order i don no if they come pre greassed or if u have 2 pack them ur self then just tighten then back in carefully

Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:01 AM   #24

Drives: '03 Lancer ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllove2003 View Post
hey all you do is remove the brakes rotor and backing plate and hub nut then its the 4 bolts that surround the drive axle the heads are on the inside facing away from u all u do is remove those and pul it out (they pick up road grime dirt and debris inbetween 2 metal piecesof the housings it will be a fight trust me) replace with new one tightening bolts in correct order i don no if they come pre greassed or if u have 2 pack them ur self then just tighten then back in carefully
I'm not sure I understand correctly, but what you just wrote doesn't make much sense...

I've gone through 6-8(lost count by now) front bearings in the 250,000km I've had the car... (the ones currently on the car are from autopartsway.ca and one of them has been there for close to 100,000km so I'm hoping they'll last)

mcgarvey described it pretty much spot on... I've watched my mechanic do this every time and I wouldn't attempt it without proper equipment... just the pressing of the old bearing out and the pressing the new one in you need a press and proper size cylinders (to reach into the hub)

It usually costs me about 100$ total (~60$ for the bearing and ~40$ for the labour)

Old May 18, 2012, 12:59 PM   #25

Drives: Evo VIII

Good read. Does anyone have a preferred wheel bearing model?

Old May 23, 2012, 03:15 PM   #26

Drives: Nissan Versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhutterer View Post
Good read. Does anyone have a preferred wheel bearing model?
I like those brands, and have installed SKF and National on an ES.
Generally: SKF, National (Moog) or Timken. Model depends on your model of Lancer

Old May 24, 2012, 08:29 AM   #27

Drives: '03 Lancer ES

So the ones I got from autopartsway.ca (http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS) seem to last a long time. My ex left with the Lancer and at that time both bearings had way over 100k km on them and still weren't making any noise. One of them must have even had over 150k km easy...

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:37 AM   #28

Drives: 08 Mitsubishi lancer

Do anyone post on this thread anymore? If so, I have 08 lancer that needs rear wheel bearings. I need help when choosing a brand. Help!

Old Feb 12, 2018, 05:06 AM   #29

Drives: Nissan Versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLouietheLan View Post
Do anyone post on this thread anymore? If so, I have 08 lancer that needs rear wheel bearings. I need help when choosing a brand. Help!
National / MOOG / SKF, or any equivalent still produced is fine, and in your price range... I guess the set includes bearing + wheel ub/studs ?

What are your choices?

Old Feb 14, 2018, 06:19 AM   #30

Drives: 08 Mitsubishi lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolc View Post
National / MOOG / SKF, or any equivalent still produced is fine, and in your price range... I guess the set includes bearing + wheel ub/studs ?

What are your choices?
ummm I have seen moog and duralast. The auto stores around me have stopped carrying brands like skf and timken. And my mechanic is pressing me to get it done now. I found some NAPA proformer bearings and hub assembly for 74 a piece..