Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Wheel Bearing Question

Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Bearing Question

Hey everyone,

When I'm driving there is a humming noise coming from the right front of my car, when I turn left the noise gets louder, when I turn right there is no noise. I'm assuming this is the right front wheel bearing, but could it possibly be anything else? And if it is the wheel bearing, how hard is this to change? Is it pressed in? Will I need anything special to remove it and put it in? I hate paying some overweight sweaty man $60 and hour to do something I could do. Let me know. Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

I would say its not too hard, but if you don't really know anything about the mechanic side to a car i wouldn't try it. Try to get someone that has some knowledge into it. I can't explain to much on here, but you could try looking online on websites that can give you an idea on how to do it. All i can say is

Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Gonna need a few special tools. FYI, take it to a fat sweaty man and pay the cash if you don't want to deal with the hassle.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Well I have a lot of mechanical knowledge, my dad is an auto body tech and we've always worked on cars, we've just never done a wheel bearing strangely. Just looking for a few tips and wondering if anyone has done it on here.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
That diagram is incorrect... at least for an OZ Rally. There is one wheel bearing. The axle nut is a ***** to get off. Make sure you have air tools if you're going to do this. Be prepared to spend ~$50-$80 for the wheel bearing.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Of course the diagram is incorrect. Its just suppose to give you an idea.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry if this is going to hijack your thread, but it's actually on the same topic.

I have an 05 Evo and it's exibiting the same characteristics, but on the rear. It's ok when driven normally, but the there's like a clicking sound when I make right turn. None when turning left.

Is it hard to change? Is it covered under warranty or is it considered as a wear and tear item?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:14 PM

To the op yes its a wheel bearing. Its a lot of work because the whole hub assembly has to come out then you have to press it out and in and if you've never done it before I wouldn't recommend you to do it, if you wanna save some cash pull off the knuckle and have a mechanic press the bearing out and in. Then you might need an alignment when all done. Wheel bearings seem to go bad a lot on lancers.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by turbolagdsm
Wheel bearings seem to go bad a lot on lancers.
Monday i'm getting mine replaced for the 6th time.... starting to consider getting the tools to save the money
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To answer the warranty question above ^^^ (I'm a former Mitsu master tech, now with toyota)

Front wheel bearings are considered powertrain and should be covered for 5 years/60000 miles or for the first owner of the vehicle 10/100k (In the USA).

Rear wheel bearings are not part of the powertrain and are covered for 3 years/36k miles. They rarely go bad on these cars though.

Lancers use sealed, press-fit wheel bearings (nothing like that picture someone posted above) on the front wheels that are retained in the knuckle bore by the snap ring on the inboard side and the axle nut on the outside. Replacing these REQUIRES a proper hydraulic press and very large snap ring piers.

Rear wheel bearings are integral hub assemblies. They are retained by a spindle nut on a short stub axle protruding from the knuckle. To replace these a puller is usually required.

Hope this clears things up.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Just thought id post on here to let the world know the search function works and this has saved me a lot of time.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:01 PM

Yeah I ended up here too using the search function.

I think I have the same issue on my IX, whenever I turn left and accelerate decently I get this whistling noise like something metallic spinning (hard to describe) and its def coming from the right front wheel.

I'll have this checked.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done my own wheels bearing 3 times dunno what the deal is with them. I have a special wheel bearing set that allows me to remove and install the wheel bearings without even removing the hub knuckle from the car I love it. they have to be perfectly set when pressing them in though otherwise its really easy to **** them up with that much force.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

^ what tool is it and did you get it at a regular parts store?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually got it from harbor freight for like $70 front wheel bearing service kit. You will need a pneumatic impact though or else it won't be easy. Its a snap with the impact gun. I know most people hate harbor freight but for stuff like this there products work awesome

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Question