Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

pulsing brakes.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulsing brakes.

quick question, when i go to brake, up until i put the pedal all the way down, i get pulsing power from my brakes. as in, i get a i can feel its braking, then for a second its not braking as hard, then braking again kinda cycle. i changed the pads not to long ago, and i dont brake aggressively, maybe only 2 emergency full lock brake situations in the past 2 years. rotors look fine, no metal on metal contact, no advanced brake dust collecting, squeakers are quiet, and brake fluid is full. now, i havnt flushed my brake lines fully yet, 92k, so could that be my problem? the oem brake fluid absorb to much moisture and is starting to fail on me? should i check my brake lines of wear somewhere? i figured it is either my brake fluid, old or whatnot, or its my lines getting old. anyone else get this prob yet?
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its probably your rotors. Just looking at them doesn't help. You'll have to replace the rotors. Don't get them turned, that is only a temp fix and not the best idea. I had this problem on my fiance's last two cars. The dealer was like "no, they look just fine". Well, it still pulsed and I changed the rotors and pads. Fixed. The 03 OZ rally had bad brakes when we got it. It pulsed, I changed out the rotors and pads. Fixed.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

so my rotors are off kilter casing my pad to only connect under hard braking and high spots? well, im doing some car maintenance this weekend, so ill take a tire off and check my pads to see if they are wearing uneven. i should look for angled wear on a single pad, and comparative wear between front side and back side pads, that correct?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silentmunky
so my rotors are off kilter casing my pad to only connect under hard braking and high spots? well, im doing some car maintenance this weekend, so ill take a tire off and check my pads to see if they are wearing uneven. i should look for angled wear on a single pad, and comparative wear between front side and back side pads, that correct?
To be honest, I have no clue how to check. I just figure if it gives me a problem, it needs to be replaced.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'd say its the rotors too. 94k Miles is pretty rough if you haven't changed the rotors yet. Just be glad they lasted that long, my G6's rotors went after 17k miles, glad I got rid of that car :P.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

gah, your rotors died quick. yeah, im thinking its the rotors too. it's not to bad of a pulse on the brakes, but i can feel it. my old car was a pos that broke down every friday night, so i know the feeling when stuff is not right. its like mechanical spidey sense. ill pull my rotors and check measurements, if its not too off ill just get them turned. if i cant do that, ill just buy some new ones. or old ones in my case. gotta go cheap!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:55 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by silentmunky
gah, your rotors died quick. yeah, im thinking its the rotors too. it's not to bad of a pulse on the brakes, but i can feel it. my old car was a pos that broke down every friday night, so i know the feeling when stuff is not right. its like mechanical spidey sense. ill pull my rotors and check measurements, if its not too off ill just get them turned. if i cant do that, ill just buy some new ones. or old ones in my case. gotta go cheap!
Good Luck on the rotors,

Do a through-o inspection. I created hot spots buy over wearing my pads on to the metal.

Do a full inspection and good luck.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'd check for warping and runout to see if it's actually the rotors. no sense replacing them if you don't have to. You might have uneven brake pad deposits an the rotors. It happened to me when I put brembos on my focus. Was the problem there before the pad change? If this is the case you'll need to get special cleaning pads to remove the deposites, then reinstall your regular pads and repeat the bed in process.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Like he said^^

You have uneven brake pad deposits an the rotors.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Mine do this......but mine are aftermarket.......so.....I need new rotors.............

dammit
Old Nov 25, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ya new rotors to fix pulsing breaks.. i use to have this problem ALOT because i take my car down alot of backstreets.. (fun streets) and they heat up alot. (pads would go out in about 3 months and rotors would warp and pulse even faster then that, yes i do alot of backstreets, i rag on my car)
anyways, i have the brembo slotted rotors and they have held up to just about everything i throw at them, autox, backstreets and so on.. and they are good down till you cant see the slots anymore. (and you are to never turn them, its bad for them and they are designed not to warp like oem style rotors)

thats just my experience, i know there is even a better rotor out there, and i dont suggest drilled because at our size rotor they crack easy. (slotted brembo rotors FTW!) (ive had my axis ultimate pads and brembo rotors for 13 months now, no problem andi have plenty of pad left and no pulsing. and i abuse them hard!)
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

do a search for brake pad bed in procedure. odds are you don't need new rotors.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So after 144,xxx hard miles on my stock rotors, I never had that problem. Never did anything to the rotors, never changed the brake fluid. I just switch to slotted rotors last summer b/c I figured it was about time to do so...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, i dont think its my rotors now. i think the two pins for my caliper on that rotor are not lubed right, or they got fob in their boots. because of the weather i havnt been able to get to looking at my pads, but i think thats what is causing my problem.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

My car does this too....and i know its the rotors....they are slightly warped but i just ordered new slotted rotors and pads for about $150 so it will be worth the fix.

Quick Reply: pulsing brakes.