Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Lancer 5-lug & Rear Disc Conversion Part List

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also for anyone who has done the rear drum to disc swap with stock front brakes can you tell me about braking performance after the rear disc conversion. Better? Worse? about the same?

My main goal for the swap would mainly be easier brake jobs in the rear and getting rid of the ugly drums in the back I'm sick of looking at. That said this car totes my son and I around daily and I want to know it's safe. Especially during hard stops and stopping from highway speeds.

If braking performance isn't enhanced it is at least no worse off than with the drums? Most of the cars I've owned the drums seem to just be along for the ride anyway and the front discs do the brunt of the work.

I apologize for all the questions but I'm just trying to do all my homework before jumping in. My son will likely be learning to drive in this car in the not so distant future so I don't want to make the swap if things aren't 100%. I'll stick with staring at the hideous drums and slightly more complicated brake jobs 1/2 as often if its safer to just leave things alone.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by JB2003OZ
I'm looking into doing the rear disc conversion on my '03 Lancer OZ Rally. Do you still make the kit for the swap?

I do still make them. I keep most of the needed supplies here but start on the kit once I've received payment or a deposit.

I think I have it mostly figured out for the OZ. Only thing I'm a bit confused on is what do we do for a backing plate/dust shield behind the rotor when swapping to discs and keeping the stock OZ rally 4 lug hub? Maybe I'm envisioning this wrong but you remove the entire drum assembly and you bolt the caliper bracket/adapter to the hub so there's nothing behind the rotor. The drum backing plate won't work with the new Galant rotors. Correct?

With one of my kits you lose everything from the stock drum setup, minus the hubs. In all the kits I've sold I don't know of anybody that put a thin dust shield back on. But I'm sure one from a 1g dsm could easily be modded to work.

I see a few posts up mention of using the backing plate from the 2.4L sportback (non RA) but I'm confused as to whether that will bolt up to my 03 OZ hub or if it only works when swapping everything over from the Sportback.

Everything from the 4 lug wagon is a 100% bolt on deal if you can find it. Your stock OZ hubs are the same.

Is there a bolt on solution for a back plate for the 4 lug OZ rally when not swapping out hubs? I know there is with the 5 lug swap but I'm assuming that wont' work with the 4 lug OZ setup. I'd be fine with drilling, cutting or modifying back plates somehow If need be. I'm sure something cold be rigged up but I was hoping maybe someone has already done this or I'm just missing something obvious. Not terribly familiar with the Galant but could a dust shield/backing plate from the 91-92 Galant VR-4 be made to work?

Answered this above

I know back plates aren't completely necessary but the factory puts them there for a reason. Helps keep water off the rotors, may help cooling the rotors, keeps cold water splashing all over the back of hot rotors, keeps brake dust contained to area, keeps debris off rotors etc.

One other question, with the kit and appropriate supporting parts off other cars I don't need to make any changes to the stock OZ rally master cylinder/proportioning valve do I? The OZ doesn't have ABS so there shouldn't be anything funky there. Any other rear disc car I've had the brake bias is heavy to the front anyway and they do most of the work.
Can't remember if it was this thread or not but fairly sure Greenbandit upgraded his M/C and added a prop valve from another Mitsu. Not say you have to but he did.
The following users liked this post:
JB2003OZ (Sep 29, 2017)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JB2003OZ
Also for anyone who has done the rear drum to disc swap with stock front brakes can you tell me about braking performance after the rear disc conversion. Better? Worse? about the same?

Everybody that has bought one of my kits has claimed better braking. These are mostly Mirage guys but the rear brakes are pretty much the same.

My main goal for the swap would mainly be easier brake jobs in the rear and getting rid of the ugly drums in the back I'm sick of looking at. That said this car totes my son and I around daily and I want to know it's safe. Especially during hard stops and stopping from highway speeds.

You are working on your brakes so there's always safety involved. As long as you make sure everything is tight and the calipers are bled you'll be fine. But I'm not there to install it so if you feel uneasy working on it I'd aid the help of a pro. My backing plates for this particular setup are cut from 3/16" steel plates, quite a bit thicker than the flimsy stamped backing plates Mitsu uses. The calipers, rotors and pads were all designed for the heavier 1g dsm so in my opinion they're overkill for the lighter lancer/mirage which is a good thing IMO.

If braking performance isn't enhanced it is at least no worse off than with the drums? Most of the cars I've owned the drums seem to just be along for the ride anyway and the front discs do the brunt of the work.

Answered in the previous post.

I apologize for all the questions but I'm just trying to do all my homework before jumping in. My son will likely be learning to drive in this car in the not so distant future so I don't want to make the swap if things aren't 100%. I'll stick with staring at the hideous drums and slightly more complicated brake jobs 1/2 as often if its safer to just leave things alone.
Nothing wrong with that. I do the same thing when making a new purchase. I have probably sold a few dozen lancer rear disc conversions and between 50-100 to the mirage guys with no complaints.
The following users liked this post:
JB2003OZ (Sep 29, 2017)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 89Mirageman
Can't remember if it was this thread or not but fairly sure Greenbandit upgraded his M/C and added a prop valve from another Mitsu. Not say you have to but he did.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read through and answer my questions! I've done a lot of reading and it seems like I remember him or someone posting that the proportioning valve swap was more of a PITA than it was worth. I'll have to double check that. I guess I was just looking for input from others who have done this swap on the lancer and can confirm everything works just fine without messing with the M/C or proportioning valve. How does it work with the Mirage conversion? Any changes to the Master Cylinder or Proportioning valve when those guys swap to disc?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 09:49 AM

I've never bothered swapping the prop valve on any of the 89-96 Mirages that I've dealt with. However I have upgraded the master cylinder to either the 15/16" version from the expo wagon or the 1" version from the na stealth/3000gt or early diamante. I always upgrade to the twin piston front calipers and 276mm rotors as well.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I know you posted this almost 10 years ago, but you have no idea how much it would make my day if you help me... I drive a 2006 Lancer Es, and would like to know if these parts will fit on the Es.

Thank you so much, the Es is so uncommon its a bloody nightmare finding any information for it
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by LancerGuy2.0
Hi, I know you posted this almost 10 years ago, but you have no idea how much it would make my day if you help me... I drive a 2006 Lancer Es, and would like to know if these parts will fit on the Es.

Thank you so much, the Es is so uncommon its a bloody nightmare finding any information for it

Sorry for the late reply. Just recently found out from another member that the 06 ES is 4x114.3 like the OZ and LS. You can use 91/92 Galant VR-4 rear rotors along with 90-94 FWD DSM rear calipers (turbo and na are the same, but has to be from a FWD) along with my brackets. Message here or send me an email to 89mirageman@live.com

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2018, 05:37 PM

what did use to convert the rear ones?
Old May 14, 2018, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know a guy who conv his 02/03 to 5 lug rear disc and he took parts from a ra and eclipse I think.. been so long since I talked to link to confirm it
Old Aug 28, 2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Evo666
How much did you spend total for this conversion?
that’s a good question
Old Sep 5, 2018, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the info