Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Front wheel bearing 03 oz rally

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheel bearing 03 oz rally

I have used the search feature and turned up plenty of info in the es front wheel bearing, which apparently differs from the oz and ls models. But have been unable to find anything about replacing a front wheel bearing on an oz or ls. So that is my question. Does anyone have any experience on how to go about this? I've gathered that the bearing is pressed into the knuckle, and that the hub is pressed into the bearing. So I purchased this tool from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-fro...ers-66829.html and the wheel bearing from my local part store in hopes i could pull this job off myself. A step by step by anyone who has ever done this, or just some general tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:01 PM

Just found this http://www.gtishrine.com/wheelbearing.php it apears to be for a vw gti, but seems to be the same concept for the 03 lancer oz. Did I just answer my own question!? Either way, tips, advice, or a step by step for this exact car are still welcome! Thanks again.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done this several times using the same tool you have there, it works mint, that how to is pretty much the same concept and should work fine for you. I cant see the oz and ls being THAT much different than the es models but then again I dont have them sitting side by side to compare.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:21 PM

I just don't know how I'm going to pull the hub as shown in that tutorial since I dont have that large bracket thing. I can't seem to find it seperate from a full bearing repair kit which costs like $400. Now I'm thinking about fabricating something or finding something that fits just right. Or an alternative completely such as a slide hammer, or removing the whole knucke and smacking it out with a socket and a sledgehammer. But then I would need to know how to remove the ball joint without damaging it..... arrrggghhhhh......
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I lterally take the long bolt in that kit and a washer on each end and thread the log nut on it hand tight then take a hammer and beat on the bolt to beat out the hub, it doesnt phase the hub or the bolt only thing your gonna hurt is the bearing your pulling out anyways. I take my 3 ib sledge while its still attached to the car and beat on it. You dont have to kill it just precise blows and it will inch out no problem
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Is it possible you can outline the steps you did to get the old bearing out and the new bearing in?

I have found the kit at harbor freight and I am ready to buy it. I have pullers at home so I think the the hub should not be a problem.

But do I have to pop out the cv axel out of the spindle or can i just take out the bearing while leaving the rest in place?

I appreciate the help here as this will save me some cash.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Yes the cv axle has to come out. The hub knuckle itself can stay on the car and should stay on to make it easier. once the axle is out of your way you can take the bolt, nut and two washers within that kit and put it through the hub where the axle was and just hand tighten it on there then hit it with a hammer. As I said above you dont have to kill it just nice and firm hits will slowly inch the hub out of the bearing. Then you find the right size plate that is just a hair smaller than the bearing and use an impact to press it out. To pull the old bearing out keep in mind you will need to pull the snap ring out thats on the backside of your hub knuckle and you will be using two plates and one of the circular spacers to allow room to push the bearing out through the back. Hope that helps
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Yes this does help. It is good to know that the knuckle can stay on and hopefully my alignment will remain ok.

I had purchased a pair of snap ring pliers previously so hopefully that will help get the snap ring out of the back.

I feel confidant about the hub, I will look for my harbor freight coupon and try to pick up the tool this week.

Hopefully I can find a coupon for advance auto parts and pick up both front bearings and rid myself of this humming noise.

I'll try to take pics of this so that we can all have more information.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

I am currently doing the above but I am little confused about getting the axle out. do i just hit hit it from the end?

i am not taking the strut or ball joint, can the c/v still come out of the hub/spindle?

i wanna keep hitting it with my sledge, i just don't want to jack up the threads that are exposed.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

when i changed mine in my 05 i had to remove the knuckle to get the axel out. It was just easier to take the whole thing off.i think if you loosin the bots connected to the struts the knuckle will move enough to get the axel out
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

the axel slid out very easily btw
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

do you need to also remove the tie rod nut as well?

yah my strut bolts are like super tight...i am thinking i have to undo those strut bolts as well
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

my car has 185K miles and i think this is the first time i have ever worked on the axle or bearing, i got a feeling things are just stuck as well

also i think i have smashed some threads, so not sure how to re-thread the axle bolt since the nut won't spin back on either
Old Oct 4, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Just an update, some lessons learned. Never hit the end of the c/v joint or half-shaft with a hammer of any kind as it does damage the thread.

Ultimately I took my car to the shop, I had no tricks left in my book as to how to separate the half shaft from the hub and get it free. I took out the strut bolts as well as the tie rod bolt and i wailed on the spindle but to no avail it was stuck tight. I tried to hammer the hub off as well but these items wouldn't move a bit.

Now the car is at the shop and unfortunately I need a new half shaft and new tie rod. Whenever the driver side bearing goes, I will not attempt it.

Out of curiosity does anyone need brand new bearings for a 2002 OZ rally, I got 2. I also got the harbor freight tool, I think I may have misplaced the receipt so not sure what I will do with that now. let me know if anyone is interested.

Last edited by sadude; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry I missed these posts all you have to do is pull the two bolts that connect the hub to the strut assy. then after that you should be able to tap on it not beat on it with a hammer or to be safer a rubber mallet, once it starts to back out you have to grab the top of the hub where it was bolted to the strut then pull down to give you more romm to back the shaft out further. then turn the hub so the back side is facing out and it will come out easy enough. Tie rod nut can stay in. Just dont forget to re attach the strut bolts before attempting to remove the bearing.

I am guessing you tried hitting the halfshaft with the strut bolts still connected which is very bad it will not budge untill you pull those out.

Last edited by 03lances; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing 03 oz rally