Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Wilwood big brake install for 02-06 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wilwood big brake install for 02-06 Lancer

Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
very very nice, look great. i thought that kit came with slotted rotors. did you notice any difference in braking? do you know if they sell replacement rotors as well?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they dont have for ES
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

They have 2 kits, one with slotted/drilled rotors and one without.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
very nice kit, what's the price tag?...you need to be lower
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

zomg i get to say search to cranswick!!!

http://stores.speedcorps.com/-strse-...Categories.bok
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:35 PM

I remember the slotted one is 625 + 69 bucks for brake lines on speedcorp. But the plain one was on sale if i'm not wrong. Anyway, look nice. How's thw new brake perform? The lancer bible in another thread says the BBK will reducebraking power so i'm confised.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ryancb
zomg i get to say search to cranswick!!!

http://stores.speedcorps.com/-strse-...Categories.bok
come on...quick question...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Richievn
I remember the slotted one is 625 + 69 bucks for brake lines on speedcorp. But the plain one was on sale if i'm not wrong. Anyway, look nice. How's thw new brake perform? The lancer bible in another thread says the BBK will reducebraking power so i'm confised.
BBKs do not reduce braking distances, that's what the FAQ says assuming you're referring to the one I wrote. You're stopping distance is dictated primarily by tires and brake pad choice. If you have a pad that can produce lockup with the stock brakes, that same pad in a BBK will result in the same, or longer braking distances. BBKs are about heat dissipation and pad longevity, not stopping distance or ability.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So that the clamping force is applied further away from the centre, that is, a longer lever so to speak, has no effect on stopping the wheel or even an adverse one ?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nestoledo
they dont have for ES
You can actually change the hats from the 4x114.3 for the LS/OZ to the 4x100 for the ES. Of course, that will probably cost you more.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo Pete MTL
You can actually change the hats from the 4x114.3 for the LS/OZ to the 4x100 for the ES. Of course, that will probably cost you more.
i really like the bolt-on hats...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Richievn
Yeah, the slotted price is around there. That's part of the reason I didn't get slotted. I guess the other set was on sale because I got one hell of a deal. Think around if you wanted new rotors, lines, pads, and new calipers just for your stockers. That's about how much I paid. As it's been mentioned, these are only for OZ's. Sorry ES guys, at least you have a quick solution for a rear brake conversion.

I will say at first I was I little bit iffy about the new brakes. Went around the block and felt like meh. But after some driving I love it. I barely have to put pressure to start shedding speed. It's a distinct on brake, off brake feeling. I remember I'd have to press down moderately with the stocks to shed speed. Now, a light press and we're stopping. I haven't done an all hands halt yet though but I'm pretty sure it will feel a little violent.

What I wish was better was pedal travel I guess. It doesn't take as much force at all to achieve the same braking power but I know there are cars where you ease on the brakes and they're grabbing. Also as you see in a picture above they didn't have a solution to mount the lines in the middle, so I had to zip tie them to the OEM bracket. Otherwise they'd be flopping everywhere dangerously. One might argue they probably didn't put much R&D into it because it's for an obscure platform but I feel if you develop something, you do it right.

Otherwise the install was straight forward besides the fiasco with the line fitting I had. There some things I need to explain in the pictures but ill go back and edit. Now, I'll be doing a rear disk conversion soon and my brakes will be done and looking smexy!

As a side note, Wilwood customer service blows!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006_RA
So that the clamping force is applied further away from the centre, that is, a longer lever so to speak, has no effect on stopping the wheel or even an adverse one ?
It won't affect stopping distance because that's already limited by the tires and the brake compound but it will change pedal feel because of the torque element you're suggesting.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
Sorry ES guys, at least you have a quick solution for a rear brake conversion.
Link please!?!? You're not referring to this thread, are you?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...part-list.html

Quick Reply: Wilwood big brake install for 02-06 Lancer