Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

adjusting my coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2002, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjusting my coilovers?

Can someone give me the scoop on how to adjust my coilovers so I dont have to keep going to someone to do it. My main concern now is raising the rear..Thanks..
Old Jul 23, 2002, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

usually, coilovers have a threaded sleeve that can be losened up with an allen key, and rotated clock(or anticlock)wise to raise/lower the car.

But don't forget, your suspension geometry will change each and every time you change ride height !!! (i.e. camber, toe, caster will change), which requires an alignment.

Good luck
Old Jul 23, 2002, 03:51 AM

Elevation?

Does my car need to be up on a jack or is all this done from ground? I dont think my caster camber da da has ever been adjusted. They said my allignment was fine after the install and i had someone adjust it and they didnt even charge me. They couldnt have done it either. My suspension still seems to be in allignment..
Old Jul 23, 2002, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

you can't do it from the ground. You need to have a wheel off to get access to the sleeve on the bottom of the springs.

If your suspension is in alignment, that's awesome. Just remember to check it if you notice any problems (like car veering left/right or steering wheel not centered, or too much inside tire wear etc....)
Old Jul 23, 2002, 08:55 AM

Steering wheel centered?

My steering wheel was off center ever since after the coilover install. But my car had no pull either way and could travel a straight line for a distance. I'm only concerned with adjusting the rear. I can access it with out raising the car. I understand how the wrenches work. I know the turn equal amount on both sides then use a tape measure to check ground to fender clearance. Should be equal. Is that it? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something common scense doesn't cover.Thanks...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:11 PM

Coilovers

Originally Posted by speedyst9
My steering wheel was off center ever since after the coilover install. But my car had no pull either way and could travel a straight line for a distance. I'm only concerned with adjusting the rear. I can access it with out raising the car. I understand how the wrenches work. I know the turn equal amount on both sides then use a tape measure to check ground to fender clearance. Should be equal. Is that it? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something common scense doesn't cover.Thanks...
I'm trying to figure this out to when you measure the height im using the top of the fender is this what you are going by to. I did the back tonight and measured from the rubber top mount where the shock sits in down to the bottom of the base for the coilover where it threads into and did the same on both sides. I went 8 inche's down from the top to where the locking nut sits on top of the lower shock housing. Let me know what your thoughts are and how you are doing this. I think once your alignment is done raising and lowering your vehicle wont throw your alignment off. As long as your front is locked wheel hub is aligned all is good.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

It will throw it off...which coilovers do you have? my teins list it very clear in the directions where to measure from to get the height you want.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:53 AM

Adjusting coilovers

Originally Posted by ryancb
It will throw it off...which coilovers do you have? my teins list it very clear in the directions where to measure from to get the height you want.
Just got back from the alignment and it is all good everything is set the right front is off a bit but they said the only way they can get it perfect is if they elongate the top hole a little more but they said it is not that much to worry about it. When i adjusted the front i measured from the underneath the top strut mount down to the bottom bracket where my locking nut is. It is 14'' on both sides and thats what i went by. I am riding on the KSport coilovers with pillow ball front mounts and with the adjustable top camber plates at first the ride was rough but know im pretty impressed. This is my first time trying out coilovers car is never driven in the winter and im riding on 215/35R18 but that will be changing in the near future. Looking to go down a size in rim and a little higher on the tire size considering i live in Norther Ontario.