Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

A little help on some maintenance questions regarding the suspension

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little help on some maintenance questions regarding the suspension

I hope this is posted in the right section; if not I apologize; my first time using a forum.

I am looking to do some maintenance on my Lancer however I want to get some other people's opinions on some parts to replace (and where to buy them).

First things first, I've been driving on bad struts since I bought the car in March 2012. The rear left and front right are leaking. I've put off replacing it but its getting pretty bad now. I looked around and not exactly sure what brands I should buy. The mechanics recommended Monroe but I've never heard of them. My son said to get KYB GR-2. He said he had KYB GR-2 on his car and liked them (to be honest I don't know what kind of car he drives). I found some online and they seem to be decently priced, about $400 for the set. I don't have a lot of car knowledge so I downloaded the factory service manual.

http://postimg.org/image/5ddxjupk3/

Which parts would I need to replace along with the struts? Can I reuse the springs that my current struts are sitting on? I have the stock wheels which are 15" so do I need to replace the parts I circled in red?

As for engine mounts, anyone got a brand to suggest? I am pretty lost when it comes to these. Some people say get cheap ones, others say get ones that are more reputable so the quality is better and lasts longer.

Thanks for reading.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

From what I have read on this forum, Monroe will offer a softer ride vs the KYB which will offer a firmer, better handling ride.

Monroe is a well known company, I would not have any issue using them, they have been around forever and do OEM and replacement offerings for many vehicles.
I chose KYB when I replaced mine because of the difference in handling experienced by others. Those 2 brands are our only options.

As for the parts in red, if your budget allows replace them. Mine did not at the time so I used back the originals. Definitely reuse your springs. As for engine mounts, I would be ok with any replacement ones, no point spending a ton as you do not sound like you are heading to the track with your car.

Since it's your first time on a forum, do take time to read some of the threads because chances are if you would like to know something, it has been covered already.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out please.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Hello and welcome to the forum.

From what I have read on this forum, Monroe will offer a softer ride vs the KYB which will offer a firmer, better handling ride.

Monroe is a well known company, I would not have any issue using them, they have been around forever and do OEM and replacement offerings for many vehicles.
I chose KYB when I replaced mine because of the difference in handling experienced by others. Those 2 brands are our only options.

As for the parts in red, if your budget allows replace them. Mine did not at the time so I used back the originals. Definitely reuse your springs. As for engine mounts, I would be ok with any replacement ones, no point spending a ton as you do not sound like you are heading to the track with your car.

Since it's your first time on a forum, do take time to read some of the threads because chances are if you would like to know something, it has been covered already.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out please.
Thank you for the quick response!

I guess I will buy the KYB set since there is a shop around here that happens to have a set of these for my car. I think I have enough budget to replace some things but anyway I will have a mechanic to look over if it really needs to be replaced. I will update once I get my parts and when it installs. Cheers!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:17 AM

I'm a little late to the party, my Lancer had KYB's on it, then one broke. Loved the ride till then(I also have adjustable KYB's on my Trans Am)but I replaced my struts with some Sensen struts and mounts(knock off Monroe's?)and so far not bad, not as stiff as the KYB's but a little more comfortable. I also replaced my inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar links and had a alignment done. Car rides very nice now. Hope yours does as well.