Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

New Suspension Kit - What to get? How much to pay?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Suspension Kit - What to get? How much to pay?

So my 2009 Lancer GTS (100k) as of late has been riding in a way I can best describe as bouncy or floaty. When I take a highway nearby to work I can hit a minor bump (practically invisible) and the car will bounce about four times in place before restabilizing. The ride feels rather uncomfortable and in a recent windstorm the car was shaking even when I was at a standstill. A Lyft rider and automotive technician I had did concur that something did seem off about the ride. The car has had its right front slammed into a telephone pole, which I don't think had suspension damaged or replaced.

I'm not equiped to fix it myself (I don't think) as I lack a proper jack and probably all the nessisary tools. My local dealership has charged me a fortune to change my oil and swap my wheels (more than double the dealership I bought from) so I don't want to go to them. I have the original stock rims with Eagle Ones and Gallant steel rims with Icebears. The Eagle Ones are wearing out at an insane rate and from what I read this is an indicator that the suspension is off.

So what do I need for repairs (if I bought the parts myself) and how much should I pay for service? Unless its crazy easy, I don't think I should replace it myself. Hope this covers all thats needed.

Thanks.

Last edited by Zero Serenity; Feb 17, 2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Paragraph Breaks
Old Feb 17, 2016, 06:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you check the shock-up ?
Is it still fully functional ?

My car was severe bounced after it hit a hole on highway road.
No oil leak or damage evident but the shock-up completely inoperative.
it damage inside that invisible and already lost function.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wanchai Panpron
Did you check the shock-up ?
I have no idea what this is or how to do it.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 08:04 PM

I mean do you know the shock absorber is properly work,
just press your car and check dose it has smoothly up and down.
for excessive bounce , It think the shock absorber not working. it like you drive on the jump pad.

All shock absorber has Lifetime.
I always replace it every 90K. and replace spring every 150K.

You will see all cheap suspension set for Lancer as below link. You can buy them and take it to go to garage.

Shocks, Struts

Last edited by Wanchai Panpron; Feb 17, 2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 08:12 AM

I tried pushing down on the nose and tail of the car as you said and it seems to spring back fine, but then again I'm also a pretty paltry 60kg and have no real idea if the springback is correct. I also have black stains on my driveway under where my wheels usually are that don't seem to be from my tires. Anything else to check?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 09:21 AM

Did you check all , Front and rear ?
it difficult to tell because i can not see it

In case you need replace new shock strut.
cost for your refer as below

Front shock R = 60 USD
Front shock L = 60 USD
Rear shock L/R = 50 USD
Rear shock L/R = 50 USD
Old Feb 25, 2016, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree, new struts are in order from what you described. The 'bounce test' doesn't work for struts (but I am not sure why...).

You do not have to have the dealership do the struts. Any qualified shop can do it. If they charge you for new endlinks - it is valid. They quite often have to be cut off.

AANNNDDD perhaps now is the time to consider also doing lowering springs (Eibach Pro Kit for mild drop while it retains good ride quality but with improved handling) with the new struts since you will have 'em off anyway...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:44 PM

Yeah my 08 GTS is very uncomfortable on the on ramps and freeway, I was looking into KYBs and Tien springs and while I'm at it maybe sway bars and bushings.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Zero Serenity
So my 2009 Lancer GTS (100k) as of late has been riding in a way I can best describe as bouncy or floaty. When I take a highway nearby to work I can hit a minor bump (practically invisible) and the car will bounce about four times in place before restabilizing. The ride feels rather uncomfortable and in a recent windstorm the car was shaking even when I was at a standstill. A Lyft rider and automotive technician I had did concur that something did seem off about the ride. The car has had its right front slammed into a telephone pole, which I don't think had suspension damaged or replaced.

I'm not equiped to fix it myself (I don't think) as I lack a proper jack and probably all the nessisary tools. My local dealership has charged me a fortune to change my oil and swap my wheels (more than double the dealership I bought from) so I don't want to go to them. I have the original stock rims with Eagle Ones and Gallant steel rims with Icebears. The Eagle Ones are wearing out at an insane rate and from what I read this is an indicator that the suspension is off.

So what do I need for repairs (if I bought the parts myself) and how much should I pay for service? Unless its crazy easy, I don't think I should replace it myself. Hope this covers all thats needed.

Thanks.
what are you going to do with your old suspension? selling it?