Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

2006 Lancer LS strut/spring suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Lancer LS strut/spring suggestion

Good day,

I'm looking for info on what combination of spring and struts to put on my car, this is my day to day car, and i don't do any type of racing, just going for the look. I want to lower it a bit as i have installed 18"rims with 215 35-18 tires and want it to look better. Here a pic i took from it.

Thanks for any advice.
Lio,
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Lancer LS strut/spring suggestion-img-20170306-wa0004-1-.jpg  
Old May 4, 2017, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hope all is well, very clean looking lancer. Most people use a combination of *Kyb-Gr2/Excel-G* shocks & struts with *Tein S-Tech* lowering springs. Based on what you're looking for those should suit you well. I am assuming you would be changing everything out since it may not be wise just slap some lowering springs on stock shocks.

A step up from this would be the Tein Street Basis which are pretty much a shock/lowering spring combo giving you the ability to adjust to your desired ride height.
Old May 5, 2017, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SilentCool
Hope all is well, very clean looking lancer. Most people use a combination of *Kyb-Gr2/Excel-G* shocks & struts with *Tein S-Tech* lowering springs. Based on what you're looking for those should suit you well. I am assuming you would be changing everything out since it may not be wise just slap some lowering springs on stock shocks.

A step up from this would be the Tein Street Basis which are pretty much a shock/lowering spring combo giving you the ability to adjust to your desired ride height.
Thanks for your reply SilentCool, what would be the main difference between throwing strut/shocks/lowering springs vs coilovers? I read somewhere that driving with coilovers are stiffer, this is my day to day ride, so as i said, i'm just going for the look rather than performance for racing...
Old May 5, 2017, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lionelo Espina
Thanks for your reply SilentCool, what would be the main difference between throwing strut/shocks/lowering springs vs coilovers? I read somewhere that driving with coilovers are stiffer, this is my day to day ride, so as i said, i'm just going for the look rather than performance for racing...
I get it, trust me! I was in the same boat at one point. I opted for the Tein Street Basis based on my research. I daily drive my car, looking for a mild to moderate drop and also figured that it would be best to get shocks that were at least designed to deal with lowering a car, not that the kybs are bad, many people here have used them with lowering springs and they were fine. Sure the Teins are stiffer but to be honest any aftermarket shock and spring combo would be. Some more so than others. The Street Basis set was a decent balance of comfort & performance to me.

Cost is something you should also consider, a set of kyb shocks would be around $300/$350 and lowering springs would cost you another $150/$200. The Street Basis would be around $500/$550 depending on where you shop.
The following users liked this post:
Lionelo Espina (May 8, 2017)